FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Mar 13, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #5,566 of 6,207
One thing I should of mentioned about 1.08 was that when installing from 1.07 all my tracks/files were all ready scanned so 1.08 was working fine with all tracks/files, it only happened when I had decided to edit my library and take off some unwanted stuff on my laptop then put back in and no stable rescan ... Makes me wonder how many library's are scanned from the old 1.07 and how many others would fail if they tried to rescan? Maybe a lot more possible failures?

Beware with hidden files, namely when you open folders with Macs, they might cause trouble. Also with corrupted or wrong cue files, I had some cue files with wrong contents that caused problems too. One other thing I learned early with X7 1st (not mandatory but I would recommend) is to remove all your embed album art from tracks, just keep a "Cover,jpg" file on folder, much lighter and trouble free.

My 2 cents

Mar 13, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #5,567 of 6,207
This clearly means that new firmware 1.0.8 is a downgrade with less and removed features because they don't fit in the new generic FiiO Music app design. No gapless on lossy or DSD files and Fiio not respond nothing about it. I asked here for more than three times. All users prefer more features than a new design. However, FiiO is evaluating the possibility of re-adding these features in the future, because initially has not intention to add those removed features to the firmware or maybe to improve the firmware. They are simply evaluating the possibility to, maybe, improve or add new features to a future firmware, but he does not seem to have much interest or enthusiasm in doing it reading this.

Fiio ere now interested only on consumer devices with more sales. Not on Pro or high end devices.

Mar 13, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #5,568 of 6,207
This clearly means that new firmware 1.0.8 is a downgrade with less and removed features because they don't fit in the new generic FiiO Music app design. No gapless on lossy or DSD files and Fiio not respond nothing about it. I asked here for more than three times. All users prefer more features than a new design. However, FiiO is evaluating the possibility of re-adding these features in the future, because initially has not intention to add those removed features to

I have to be honest I don't use many features but I agree it's definitely a downgrade in most areas, stability in the last two revisions was awful compared to the 1.06 I'm using again now, it's not as fast but everything works and no real bugs in the basic use scrolling scanning and selecting back or track/file totally smooth... Also it may be placebo but I actually think it may sound better too and wish I could a/b both FiiO apps .. or was it just I was overjoyed to get it working smoothly again.

Mar 13, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #5,569 of 6,207
The big problem, i think with the Fiio X7-2 and with the several recebt update, is the Fiio player.
I use exclusively neutron since few months and sometimes UAPP.
I never use fiio player.
And I have no big problems.

Only the tracks on the second sd slot when i wake up the Fiio...

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #5,570 of 6,207
I also never use the Fiio player. I have been using 1.0.8 with Neutron, DoubleTwist and BlackPlayer EX and two 512 GB SD cards without any major issues.

The only issue I have occurs when I hit stop, dont use the X7-2 for a while, and the second SD card "goes to sleep." This crashes the apps (esp. Neutron) and I have to rescan the entire library. I avoid this by closing out of apps when I'm not listening. I forgot to do that yesterday, and had to rescan.

Mar 17, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #5,572 of 6,207
I've been testing the FW1.0.8 and it's improved FW1.0.7 but yet several bugs remain. Cue files no longer work. If you put a cue in a folder with an album image, in this case a dsf image, the Music app won't split the album in separate tracks but will recognize it as a single track. On FW1.0.6 you could do so. Cues are important to me in order to play gapless on some dsd records.
Neither are tags on sacd iso's supported. The tags edited on the Foobar-created xml file that is in the sacd iso folder is not recognized by the Music app. It will recognize the cover art though.
I'll most likely discover some more bugs in the coming days.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #5,573 of 6,207
Cues are important to me in order to play gapless on some dsd records.
Take note that previous versions 1.0.6, 1.0.5 (runs best) or 1.0.7JP support gapless on DSD (indivual files in an album). Seems to be that FiiO is not interested more in gapless and its very probably that never support gapless in DSD in newer firmwares.

I've asked FiiO about gapless in DSD more than six times in this forum and in the official FiiO forums, but it never answers.

Mar 25, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #5,574 of 6,207
Take note that previous versions 1.0.6, 1.0.5 (runs best) or 1.0.7JP support gapless on DSD (indivual files in an album). Seems to be that FiiO is not interested more in gapless and its very probably that never support gapless in DSD in newer firmwares.

I've asked FiiO about gapless in DSD more than six times in this forum and in the official FiiO forums, but it never answers.

@FiiO quickly implemented a bunch of new (many "recovered") features on this latest 1.0.8 firmware - faster than I was expecting TBH.
So lets wait for more news in a short term, I hope, with a few tweaks and fixes X7 is still a hard to beat contender among TOTL DAPs.

My 2 cents

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #5,575 of 6,207
@FiiO quickly implemented a bunch of new (many "recovered") features on this latest 1.0.8 firmware - faster than I was expecting TBH.

Because the 1.0.7 was a very big disaster.
@FiiO
So lets wait for more news in a short term, I hope, with a few tweaks and fixes X7 is still a hard to beat contender among TOTL DAPs.

At Fiio firmware update web page: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=44137&extra=page=1:
Some old features of the X-series that don't fit with the new design are hence removed. However, we will keep improving the new app and evaluate the possibility of re-adding these features (or improved features) in the future.
Improved functions or re-aggregation functions are only a possibility that must also be evaluated first. Wow!, the features were removed because they do not fit into the new design. For me this is unacceptable. Fiio users are interested first in the features of the music player and the sound quality, not in the design. Awesome! It seems that Fiio has no interest in improving or adding new features. I did not expect this from Fiio.

In addition all of this shows the inability and ineptitude of FiiO developing software. The hardware is the best, but without good software it has nothing to do and has the battle lost.

I only reclaim simple functions like gapless, the use of more ID-3 tags in the library like Album Artist, Album Disc Number, Composer, Lyrics, etc.

I remember when, approximately in the year 2005, iRiver focused only on consumer products and completely abandoned high-end devices, such as its iRiver series H-140, H-340, etc. and the company practically collapsed and was nothing, until they returned to the year 2012 with Astell & Kern, with only high-end devices. It seems that FiiO is going the same way. For simple consumer player there are already smartphones.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #5,576 of 6,207
I personally think if this is the case.
Improved functions or re-aggregation functions are only a possibility that must also be evaluated first. Wow!, the features were removed because they do not fit into the new design
Then this is really not a good state of affairs, these updates are supposed to improve stability and also improve usage and definitely NOT takeaway features that were possibly advertised (don't quote me) on release and already implemented.
I agree with @Paulo Abreu the x7ii still rivals most but I also have to agree with @JaviAl this is very poor treatment just because it doesn't fit in with there new scheme of things! And makes me feel possibly FiiO is trying to wash its hands of x7ii?
since reverting back to 1.06 I am once again happy with it but would definitely not recommend anyone to go higher than 1.06....1.07,1.08 really is that unstable compared to 1.06, for my use the loss of features is not really an issue but still not really good enough and all in all pretty bad customer service in my opinion.... But I still would recommend the player just not higher than 1.06.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #5,577 of 6,207
I own a FiiO X3, X5 and X7ii so you can say that I am a loyal customer but I am really getting sick and tired of certian UI issues with my X7ii. (E.g. the "pause button" bug is driving me crazy).

After seeing all these problems with the new firmware I am thinking of leaving FiiO behind and moving to higher end DAPs like A&K. In any case, my next DAP won't be from FiiO.

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #5,578 of 6,207
I own a FiiO X3, X5 and X7ii so you can say that I am a loyal customer but I am really getting sick and tired of certian UI issues with my X7ii. (E.g. the "pause button" bug is driving me crazy).

After seeing all these problems with the new firmware I am thinking of leaving FiiO behind and moving to higher end DAPs like A&K. In any case, my next DAP won't be from FiiO.

That "pause button” bug is really annoying. I can live without WiFi, I can live without BT, I don't mind about tidal, DSD256 or an equalizer, but what pisses me off is when I'm listening for a 30 minute piece of music, have to pause for 3 minutes and then can't resume seamlessly! Pause/resume, a feature available since the time of our grandfather tapes... and I'm 54 ... dahhhh

Mar 28, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #5,579 of 6,207

Dear friend,

We have confirmed with the engineer that the gapless on DSD function was not supported in previous firmware version.
The engineer will try to assess the feasibility of adding this support in later firmware update.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 28, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #5,580 of 6,207
That "pause button” bug is really annoying. I can live without WiFi, I can live without BT, I don't mind about tidal, DSD256 or an equalizer, but what pisses me off is when I'm listening for a 30 minute piece of music, have to pause for 3 minutes and then can't resume seamlessly! Pause/resume, a feature available since the time of our grandfather tapes... and I'm 54 ... dahhhh
There is an issue with the 2nd Micro SD slot where the player "loses" the selected music file after being paused for a very short time (less than a minute). It is indeed extremely annoying as the player becomes unresponsive for a brief moment after which you then have to go back and reselect the track again.

But this is not the only pause button related bug. What is really bothering me is that the pause button doesn't respond correctly. There is a very high probability that it will not respond at all or replay the track from the beginning. (Both the physical button and touch screen behave the same).

Pausing the damn thing requires me to:
1. Press the screen unlock button
2. swipe upwards to allow inputs
3. Press the pause button and then look to see whether it pause or restarts
4. Press again the pause button and then look to see whether it pauses, does nothing or restarts
5. Press again the pause button and then look to see whether it pauses, does nothing or restarts
6. Press again the pause button and then look to see whether it pauses, does nothing or restarts

It very rarely works after one press of the pause button. I often need to press up to four times to get it to pause with a high probability that the track has restarted in the process. It is starting piss me off.

(This bug makes the physical pause button of less use as I don't have immediate feedback on the actual status, especially when it restarts instead of pausing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back