FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Mar 22, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #4,171 of 6,207
Mar 22, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #4,172 of 6,207
Can anyone tell me how this (with AM3A) drives Campfire Audio Cascades? I'm sure fine, but specifically wondering if I pay for a balanced cable to use with Cascades when I order them or save the dime. The only full sized cans I've driven with this are planers and because they are so power hungry they really do benefit from balanced input. I don't think this is an issue with Cascades, but would love to hear feedback from those that have tried them on X7ii.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Mar 23, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #4,174 of 6,207

So i take it this edge piece doesn't go on when using the AM0? Also.. now that this thing is shorter, what case do i use? Silicone is out and the pleather one may work.. But?

Also does anyone know if FiiO can fix a cracked screen?

Dear friend,
When using the AM0, the decorative strips may not be suitable for using. :sweat_smile:

Have you teared out the screen protector and have a check? The crack is in the screen instead of the protector? If you don't mind, you can send it back to us for repair.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 23, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #4,175 of 6,207
Hello FiiO, actually the decorative piece allows me to use the clear silicone case. It holds the dap in place and isn't obvious when inside clear case. There is a gap between the bottom of the base and dap but its ok.

I do believe the glass is cracked, there it is on the bottom right. I will peel the cover but I'm certain that's a crack.

Also see the extra piece holding the dap in place on the left?
15218278794161749459857.jpg

Mar 23, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #4,176 of 6,207
fiiox7.png
Here it is with pointers on the crack.

Also, I just got a Lifatec miniToslink cable, upgraded from a cheap Micca cable, and I thought that maybe there was an issue with the Micca cable but what I'm finding is the minitoslink 3.5mm plug does not go all the way in. More of a concern for me is, is the glass bottoming out on something inside? I want it securely all the way as much into the port as it would go but I also don't want the glass on the new Lifatec ($100 minitoslink) to get scratched bottoming out inside the X7ii.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #4,177 of 6,207
I look around the thread a bit, seem like the Andromeda pairs well with the X7 II, but I would like to know more when it is in balanced.

Does the CA Andromeda have hiss when paired with the X7II in balanced mode?
I'm actually thinking of getting one, but only if I can use it balanced and has no hiss.

Mar 24, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #4,178 of 6,207
I look around the thread a bit, seem like the Andromeda pairs well with the X7 II, but I would like to know more when it is in balanced.

Does the CA Andromeda have hiss when paired with the X7II in balanced mode?
I'm actually thinking of getting one, but only if I can use it balanced and has no hiss.

I have no hiss at all at listening volume....haven't raised volume up without sound playing to see where I might detect a noise floor, but it's not there where I listen to it. For what it's worth, with the CA the SE output is a better sound for me. The andromedas are so sensitive that there is no need for the extra drive balanced gives and the CA oem se cable is built properly so no real benefit to signal integrity with balanced. The SE output impedance on the X7ii is slightly lower than the balanced. With the low end bump the lower output z gives, to my ears the SE low end is richer, to near perfect levels for my taste. Balanced is nice, but when the bass is well developed and presented and doesn't muddy up the upper ranges like the andromedas are able to produce, why not have a little more. :0)

Mar 24, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #4,179 of 6,207
@yaslam :
The changelog for the latest build of Neutron (2.01.0) states that it does "support native DSD on Fiio DAPs (X5, X7, ...)".

However, when I play .dsf files (DSD64) on the X7MkII, it still says "Frequency: 176400" and "Bits: 64 (out:8.24 int)" under Settings -> Audio Hardware. Is this only a visual flaw or is the MkII not supported yet? Or are there any specific settings you need to change to make it work?

I also remember you mentioning that FiiO Music uses DoP, but in Neutron, there is no sound unless I activate Native DSD (which, according to its description, disables DoP) within Settings -> Audio Hardware -> DSD, DSD over PCM (DoP), which seems a bit odd.

Also, does the regular version of Neutron store any kind of logs that could shed some light on what is really going on here?

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #4,180 of 6,207
@yaslam :
The changelog for the latest build of Neutron (2.01.0) states that it does "support native DSD on Fiio DAPs (X5, X7, ...)".

However, when I play .dsf files (DSD64) on the X7MkII, it still says "Frequency: 176400" and "Bits: 64 (out:8.24 int)" under Settings -> Audio Hardware. Is this only a visual flaw or is the MkII not supported yet? Or are there any specific settings you need to change to make it work?

I also remember you mentioning that FiiO Music uses DoP, but in Neutron, there is no sound unless I activate Native DSD (which, according to its description, disables DoP) within Settings -> Audio Hardware -> DSD, DSD over PCM (DoP), which seems a bit odd.

Also, does the regular version of Neutron store any kind of logs that could shed some light on what is really going on here?

The display "Frequency: 176400" and "Bits: 64 (out: 8.24 int)" is not a mistake.
If DOP64, DOP128, DOP256 are displayed on the playback screen, DSD file is correctly native playback.
When playing DSD64 file, FiiO Music logs output "passthrough format PCM_FORMAT_DOP64". I saw this and thought it was a DoP format.
Actually, DSD native playback with "X7 mk ii", it was necessary to transmit data with markerless 32bit format (Native DSD). Therefore, it is necessary to enable "Native DSD" in the setting of Neutron.
Neutron internally always operates with DoP inside 8.24-bit container, but just before output it converts DoP into native DSD format. (frome Neutron engineer)
Therefore, Neutron display "Bits: 64 (out: 8.24 int)" on setting screen and "DOP64" on the playback screen.
You are correctly playing DSD natively. :)
dsd64_playback.png dsd64_setting.png dsd128_playback.png dsd128_setting.png dsd256_playback.png dsd256_setting.png

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #4,182 of 6,207
Apart from the extra power, would there be any sonic difference in changing the AM3A to the AM5? This is supposing the IEM's and headphones being used are already within the driving capabilities of the AM3A.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #4,185 of 6,207
Slightly off topic, I have only been able to demo the Onkyo DPX1-A I use Focal Elear, AT-Mx50x, and Shure 846, to be honest I'm not that impressed with the sound, sonically it's very clean and crisp but lacks a lot of mid bass and sub bass even when using the balanced output with the ELEAR and Audio Techs (my AT have a balanced mod) I know both headphones can reproduce, I also use the sam cans with an decent headphone amp, actually I think my Onkyo TX-NR929 receiver sounds best I run it flat (pure audio) mode and with either headphone or IEM and it produces a very pleasing soundstage with plenty of mid bass and sub bass. Is it the Burr-Brown DAC my ear loves? It seems so much more pleasing to my ear than the Onkyo DPX Sabre DAC, I also have read the the AK Dacs that the DX150 and 2000 are a bit warmer than the Sabre models in which the DPX1 and Fiio X7MKii have, they are different models of Sabre dacs though, and I am unable to compare them.
I'm thinking about making the switch to this, the the Fiio X7mkii, or DX200. Or anything in the 400-700 range.

I'm not to concerned about google play, although as a subscriber I have used it with the Onkyo, but whatever DAP I end up with will be used as for FLAC, Hi-Res, and DSD playback, I reserve my phone for Google Play Music and other streaming services and apps, I think my iPhone along with a Dragon Fly red is more than sufficient and ok sounding.

I guess I'm just looking for more punch, impact, and low end...

Any ideas ot thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back