FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Jan 11, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #3,631 of 6,207
Hi Peter

I've noticed that in file browsing mode when I click on the 400gb card in slot 1, there is a delay of about 5 seconds before the list of artists appears. This only happens the first time I click on it and it is instant thereafter until I switch the X7ii off and on again. The 400gb card has the same amount of songs on it (6,000) as the instantly responsive 256gb card. I simply copied the songs to the larger card.

All the other cards I have used up to 256gb have been instantly responsive. I only use Sandisk cards purchased from Amazon.co.uk and am using the latest firmware.

My question is, is this a problem, or just a product of the size of the card even though it is only about half full?

Regards

Darren

Yes mine are the same about 5 seconds, I gues it's just the amount of information it has to look at. Still the Fiio is faster scanning the card than my Minis audio programme!

Jan 11, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #3,632 of 6,207
Thanks, that's reassuring. I just thought it might be a firmware issue, as the 6000 FLAC songs on the 256gb card came up instantly, but the same songs when copied to the 400gb card had the 5 second delay.

Perhaps it has to check all 400gb, even if it is only half full? That doesn't explain why a 256gb card that is 64% the size of a 400gb card is instant though.

I'm hoping to get my second 400gb card today, so I can test that theory with an empty card and at various levels population and will report back.

Could someone from FiiO please comment if this is normal behaviour, please?

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #3,633 of 6,207
I've managed to sort out the delay problem with 400gb cards.

You need to format the card in the X7ii. Even though it still says exFat32, just like when formatted on my laptop, the delay is now the same as the 256gb cards.

To format a card in the X7ii, in FiiO Music, go to "Local Music" to display your cards and slide the one you want to format to the left. You will then get what is shown below. Just tap the red (Looks Yellow in the picture) icon and it does a quick format that has done the trick for me, with both 256gb and 400gb cards now accessible at the same virtually instantaneous speed.

20180111_140844.jpg

Jan 11, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #3,634 of 6,207
Did any of you guys get to check out the latest build of Neutron yet?

The "Generic driver" settings are gone (only on the X7MkII, not on my phone) and there now is a Native DSD option (activated by default) "hidden" inside Audio Hardware -> DSD, DSD over PCM (DoP) (formerly just DSD over PCM (DoP)).

Everything seems to work fine as long as you don't activate DSD, DSD over PCM (DoP) (which still gives you white noise), but due to the very confusing structure of this section of the settings menu I'm not sure if native DSD actually works without the other setting being active.

I and Neutron developers are working on native DSD playback. (But, my role is only testing it ...)
At the moment, Neutron is not able to play DSD natively.
When "DSD, DSD over PCM" is off, it is converted to PCM and played.
In FiiO Music, the log "PCM_FORMAT_DOP 256" is output. For that reason, it will be a DoP transfer to do DSD native playback with FiiO DAP and Neutron 's hidden "Native DSD" option will be turned off.
However, DSD can not be played natively at the moment, regardless of whether the "Native DSD" option is on or off.
Neutron developers are positive for implementing DSD native playback on FiiO DAP, but FiiO does not provide information and is very passive.
Neutron is able to native DSD playback with Cayin DAPs. Unfortunately FiiO is very passive to third party apps.

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #3,635 of 6,207
Thanks for your reply, yaslam.

It is a real shame that the official Neutron forum is essentially dead and information regarding the current state of Neutron development is that hard to find.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they manage to implement DoP support soon, as FiiO's stock player is effectively still stuck in alpha stage and unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it will change any time soon.

I wish DAP manufacturers would just license some well-proven app and slap a custom skin on it instead of trying to build something from scratch with insufficient resources.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #3,636 of 6,207
I can’t seem to get Equlizer Pro (free) to work on the X7ii, playing music from spotify/Tidal. Does anyone know why, and/or how to fix it? Or knows about another EQ that will work with tidal/spotify?

Jan 12, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #3,638 of 6,207
Hi guys, mine wont update library or scan when the 2 cards are there.

With 1 it works perfect with 2 nothing

Any idea what to do. Songs are less then 20k. And its a 200 + 128 gb so that not so much either.

Help help

Dear friend,

What about scanning the card 1 first, then the card 2 in next time? The issue happen if you swtich the card to different card slots or not?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 12, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #3,640 of 6,207
Hi,

Its:

31khz = -5,
62 khz = - 5
125 khz = -6.5
250khz= -12
500khz = -12
1k = -9
2k= -9
4k = -12
8k = -12
16k= -1.8

I'm using it for toneking shockwave 3 (if it matters)

Thanks!

W shaped Eq with serious treble enhancement.

I'd apply something like this to many things, but out of everything, there are even expensive headphones / IEMs that don't respond well to this type of enhancement. Can you test with other IEMs as well? Or other headphones?

I suspect that your IEMs / Headphones might be unable to keep up with this EQ

Interesting case: Meze 99 C is really able to keep up with any kind of EQ I threw at 'em, even +18dB at 16kHz, while some other IEMs took around 6dB at most before they didn't like the EQ anymore (distortion / sounded bad).

My advice is to experiment and see how much EQ the IEMs / Headphones can take.

My results so far:

Meze 99C - can take any EQ, even ~20dB 16kHz
ie800 - can take ~10dB at 1-4kHz
Ultrasone Dj One Pro - Can take ~10dB of 16kHz EQ

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #3,641 of 6,207
Can the X7 Mark II be used as a transport?

I have an ifi nano DAC/amp and would like to be able to use its DAC and just using the X7 as transport. If it’s possible, can this be done both for the stock player app AND for streaming apps such as Spotify and Tidal?

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #3,642 of 6,207
W shaped Eq with serious treble enhancement.

I'd apply something like this to many things, but out of everything, there are even expensive headphones / IEMs that don't respond well to this type of enhancement. Can you test with other IEMs as well? Or other headphones?

I suspect that your IEMs / Headphones might be unable to keep up with this EQ

Interesting case: Meze 99 C is really able to keep up with any kind of EQ I threw at 'em, even +18dB at 16kHz, while some other IEMs took around 6dB at most before they didn't like the EQ anymore (distortion / sounded bad).

My advice is to experiment and see how much EQ the IEMs / Headphones can take.

My results so far:

Meze 99C - can take any EQ, even ~20dB 16kHz
ie800 - can take ~10dB at 1-4kHz
Ultrasone Dj One Pro - Can take ~10dB of 16kHz EQ

Hi and thank you George.

I tried the simgo pro, m50x and he400i. The stuttering was few and far in between. It became sporadic, not unlike before that it was very prominent. The funny thing is when i again tried the shockwave 3, it exhibited the same sporadic gaps. The gaps are not in the specific parts of song but rather random parts. I'm more puzzled now than before, hehe.

I'll try to hook up the he400i to an amp and see if it will affect anything. At this point, i'll try anything, hehehe.

Thanks everyone. Big, big help as always.

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #3,643 of 6,207
Hi and thank you George.

I tried the simgo pro, m50x and he400i. The stuttering was few and far in between. It became sporadic, not unlike before that it was very prominent. The funny thing is when i again tried the shockwave 3, it exhibited the same sporadic gaps. The gaps are not in the specific parts of song but rather random parts. I'm more puzzled now than before, hehe.

I'll try to hook up the he400i to an amp and see if it will affect anything. At this point, i'll try anything, hehehe.

Thanks everyone. Big, big help as always.

Hm... That sounds like a slightly diffrent issue.

M50x and Simgot Pro cannot take the type of EQ you are using, but HE400 should be able to take it AFAIK.

Try to see if you can double check with a showroom unit the DAP from near you, see if it happens to other units as well :darthsmile:

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #3,644 of 6,207
Can the X7 Mark II be used as a transport?

I have an ifi nano DAC/amp and would like to be able to use its DAC and just using the X7 as transport. If it’s possible, can this be done both for the stock player app AND for streaming apps such as Spotify and Tidal?

Yes. It has optical and digital out.

Jan 13, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #3,645 of 6,207

Users who are viewing this thread

Back