FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Oct 6, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #2,386 of 6,207
Oh - I use it all the time. It’s not badly implemented at all and perfect for fixing imperfections in IEMs

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #2,387 of 6,207
I quote this old message from the thread, it might interest you :wink:

Thanks! Judging from the picture of the impulse response, the Hybrid filter looks interesting, will try that one (my problem in not being able to hear the filter differences a couple of days ago appears to have been a combination of being too tired, wrong song and wrong headphone).

What is difficulty to judge from the impulse response graphs is the difference between Apodizing and normal fast roll-off. Apodizing sounds better. I think Meridian pioneered this idea but I don"t really understand how the filter operates.

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #2,389 of 6,207
Raise the volume - its pretty simple. Or even switch gain settings.

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #2,390 of 6,207
I have no tried to use the eq implementation on X7mkii yet. I haven't had a problem with any EQ, but mind this, I noticed that with Opus DAPs, although they don't lower volume, the EQ becomes far more effective if you actually lower the sliders you don't want instead of just raising the ones you want above half...

Oct 6, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #2,392 of 6,207
Right, it's not just about the volume. When I increase the bass to a considerable amount, it cuts the high frequencies...which does not happen with any of my Cowon players or even with some of the third party players.
Thats the way things work though. It's proper term is auditory masking - a lot of audiophiles refer to it as bass bleed. If you increase bass frequencies to an extent they overshadow other frequencies, those other frequencies will appear muted. The way to fix this is simply to boost the other frequencies which are muted. Cowons EQ settings will do exactly the same (in the background). Its just that their Jet Effect will eb programmed to do it automatically.

I know its preference - but IMO if you're boosting the bass that much - ie so that auditory masking is happening - then you bought the wrong set of headphones.

Oct 6, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #2,393 of 6,207
Thats the way things work though. It's proper term is auditory masking - a lot of audiophiles refer to it as bass bleed. If you increase bass frequencies to an extent they overshadow other frequencies, those other frequencies will appear muted. The way to fix this is simply to boost the other frequencies which are muted. Cowons EQ settings will do exactly the same (in the background). Its just that their Jet Effect will eb programmed to do it automatically.

I know its preference - but IMO if you're boosting the bass that much - ie so that auditory masking is happening - then you bought the wrong set of headphones.

No, not at all with my headphones, it's with my portable bluetooth speaker.
I boost the bass too much only with my portable bluetooth speaker when at office. At low levels it sounds too tinny so, I boost the bass very high. Most of the times I end up using my Cowon cause, it's DSP works just perfect.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #2,394 of 6,207
Hi all, not sure if this has been raised before but the audible app doesn't work on the X7ii as the device cannot play audio files that have a sample rate lower than 44.1 kHz. Audible audiobooks have a sample rate of 22.050 kHz.

Did Fiio say a thing about such compatibility?

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #2,395 of 6,207
Transcode it to 44kHz then. I don't remember anything about 22kHz in this topic.

Oct 7, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #2,396 of 6,207
Hi all, not sure if this has been raised before but the audible app doesn't work on the X7ii as the device cannot play audio files that have a sample rate lower than 44.1 kHz. Audible audiobooks have a sample rate of 22.050 kHz.

Did Fiio say a thing about such compatibility?

Transcode it to 44kHz then. I don't remember anything about 22kHz in this topic.

The audible app won't even play and as it's a closed system I can't get the source files. Was just wondering if Fiio ever talked about 22khz support.

Oct 7, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #2,397 of 6,207
Fiio: For the future: Please make a hole for the SD Card in the silikon case because it is very unconfortable to change the case when you got new music! I make a hole but it does´nt look perfect - but it helps to change the SD Card fast!Thanks

Oct 7, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #2,400 of 6,207
No, not at all with my headphones, it's with my portable bluetooth speaker.
I boost the bass too much only with my portable bluetooth speaker when at office. At low levels it sounds too tinny so, I boost the bass very high. Most of the times I end up using my Cowon cause, it's DSP works just perfect.

I think headfi is in serious need of an eye-rolling emoticon that I can use each time somebody mentions Bluetooth.
But I! Because for me the leather case is ugly and with the "condom" I can see the beauty building!

Totally agree! Condom case is much nicer. I think the "leather" looks a little cheap. I think a couple of slots in the case for the SDcards would be a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back