FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Sep 25, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #2,131 of 6,207
My world tour one has arrived from HBB. So far my impressions are, using it as a DAP and as a source to another amp, that the digital section has improved on resolution over the original X7. This is most noticeable using an external amp such as the Pico Power, but less so using the modules. Maybe because I'm more used to the Mojo or AM5 and because of the headphones and IEMs I have here, I find the AM3A to be rather bright.

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #2,132 of 6,207
The balanced out of the FiiO X7 II sounds pretty good! Just listened to some albums on Tidal using the Oppo PM3 with a balanced Dyson An mode and minimum phase fast roll-off filter).
The 2.5mm plug of the Dyson Audio cable has some slight connectivity issues with the FiiO, though. I need to find a position for the plug by turning and pressing it so that I actually hear sound on both left and right channel. Apparently the 2.5mm connection is not as standardized as the 3.5mm one.

Also, after streaming Tidal for about 20 or 30 minutes using my home wifi, both on 2.4 ghz and on 5 ghz I start to experience dropouts. The connection is quick enough and when I use the Tidal app on my phone I don't experience this issue.

It usually then helps to stop Tidal playback, close the app from task switcher view and restart the Tidal app. Difficult to pinpoint the problem - is it the Tidal app, my router, the FiiO? Has anyone experienced something similar?
Tidal and the FiiO players seem to not get along too well. The X7 has the same problems. The X5 III might have the same problems as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #2,133 of 6,207
Also, after streaming Tidal for about 20 or 30 minutes using my home wifi, both on 2.4 ghz and on 5 ghz I start to experience dropouts. The connection is quick enough and when I use the Tidal app on my phone I don't experience this issue.

It usually then helps to stop Tidal playback, close the app from task switcher view and restart the Tidal app. Difficult to pinpoint the problem - is it the Tidal app, my router, the FiiO? Has anyone experienced something similar?

Tidal and the FiiO players seem to not get along too well. The X7 has the same problems. The X5 III might have the same problems as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

Been using Tidal fairly regularly, both on wifi and my phone's hotspot. The X7 mark ii has not had a single disconnect for me.

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #2,135 of 6,207
Same here. I haven't had any connectivity issues using Tidal HiFi on my X7 MKII

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #2,137 of 6,207
My world tour one has arrived from HBB. So far my impressions are, using it as a DAP and as a source to another amp, that the digital section has improved on resolution over the original X7. This is most noticeable using an external amp such as the Pico Power, but less so using the modules. Maybe because I'm more used to the Mojo or AM5 and because of the headphones and IEMs I have here, I find the AM3A to be rather bright.

Ooo, I'd love more treble. I really should manage to unblock my unit from customs, by the end of this week, or they'll send it back to FiiO :triportsad:

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #2,139 of 6,207
Same here. I haven't had any connectivity issues using Tidal HiFi on my X7 MKII

I also haven't had any issues with Tidal on the second gen X7 (MK II).

Ooo, I'd love more treble. I really should manage to unblock my unit from customs, by the end of this week, or they'll send it back to FiiO :triportsad:

Knowing the kind of headphones you like Geroge, I predict you'll love the X7 MK II :)

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #2,141 of 6,207
Ordered a X7 mk2 yesterday evening, can't wait to compare it to my X5 III. My first plan was to move on from Fiio and the nasty bugs of the X5 III so i guess i'm a bit of a masochist...

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. Particularly related to responsiveness of the UI.

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #2,143 of 6,207
The balanced out of the FiiO X7 II sounds pretty good! Just listened to some albums on Tidal using the Oppo PM3 with a balanced Dyson An mode and minimum phase fast roll-off filter).
The 2.5mm plug of the Dyson Audio cable has some slight connectivity issues with the FiiO, though. I need to find a position for the plug by turning and pressing it so that I actually hear sound on both left and right channel. Apparently the 2.5mm connection is not as standardized as the 3.5mm one.

I had that same issue with mine (Balanced Connector) when I first received it. I had to send it back. Have the replacement now for a few weeks and no issues at all.

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #2,144 of 6,207
Here are my major issues.

1. Saving to external SD card in Spotify doesn't work. I save some albums but then when the unit restarts they are no longer saved and save to location changed. It reverts back to the 64 gigs internal. After a couple restarts it seems to work saving to internal 64g SD only...
2. Turns off randomly. I even have turned off all the power-off timers (sleep/idle poweroff) but still turns off. Sometimes while playing music. VERY Aggravating and deal breaker unless a fix can be found.
3. True music mode works fine with my offline files (mix of mp3 and flac on external sd card). However none of the downloaded apps will play same songs (very loud/noisy/feedback) including UAPP, Poweramp etc (obviously in Android mode)

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #2,145 of 6,207

Man, that’s surreal, ridiculous. How's possible for customs to retain for so long a simple harmless music player??? And possibly in the same time letting pass a few tons of grass and radioactive material...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back