FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 26, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #1,246 of 6,207
Aug 26, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #1,248 of 6,207
It's timbre, not timber. :)

Aug 26, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #1,249 of 6,207
to Hawaiibadboy: I´m german and sometimes I don´t realy understand some words! You said about X7ii and Mojo: I dig it! Dictionary: Dig it is old fashion for I like it!
That´s right? in your opinion is X7ii + Mojo better as Fiio X7ii sym.? Sorry for my - maybe stupid - question Klaus

Aug 26, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #1,250 of 6,207
to Hawaiibadboy: I´m german and sometimes I don´t realy understand some words! You said about X7ii and Mojo: I dig it! Dictionary: Dig it is old fashion for I like it!
That´s right? in your opinion is X7ii + Mojo better as Fiio X7ii sym.? Sorry for my - maybe stupid - question Klaus

My Uncle's name is Klaus.
My Fathers family is from Stuttgart. Grandparents speak German only :)

Yes,
Dig it = Like it very much

I love the Mojo

but

The X7II is excellent by itself.

Aug 26, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #1,251 of 6,207
Thanks for your fast answer and "Schöne Grüße an Deine Familie". I´m living in Weilheim near Munich!
There is no need to buy mojo?
I think - like you - X7ii is very good. I´m coming from X5ii!
Have a nice day (evening?) Klaus

Aug 26, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #1,252 of 6,207
That is a classic pic you made. Nice.

I have OPUS, iDSD BL and DX200 just got sold but it is (X7II) the superior piece of kit for me.
Mojo needs a host,
iDSD needs a re-think. Advertised for portable interface with smart devices but has every cable but the ones to do that. Should be a desktop listed device and not portable until they supply the stuff to do that.
Sounds too thin relative to X7II which is like the original DX200 which......wait for it.....comes with a burn in cable. Also, apparently the original FW and original amp were not ideal but the FW upgrades and new amp fixed that. So they shipped a device that needed burn but never did it themselves a...apparently? Since you cannot change the DAC and power stages in the FW it is close to a DSP addition if any sonic changes occur...pretty sure? I updated the FW (not amp) and nothing changed except more FW issues.
I was going to do a compare with OPUS #3 and X7II but the folks tasked with promoting it/introducing it/ engaging folks with issues did so bad most folks outside Head-Fi are un familiar with the brand. That vid would be low on hits because nobody really cares.
Spoiler alert.....X7II sounds and functions better in all manner with EX1000 and DSD rock files

The X7 MKII is a beast. A relatively affordable high quality sounding flagship that makes no claims related to voodoo (infinity balanced is close :wink: ) you don't need burn in besides the one that happens in your mind. It has 2 cases, 2 storage slots. A mature U.I (relative to other droid based devices) has a fantastic balanced out and a company.....a company that provides almost every spec right on line easy to find and compares it to other offerings in their own line up.

giphy.gif
I'm enjoying the X7 MKII the more I listen to it. I kind of get what you're saying about the the iDSD BL and X7 MKII. The X7 MKII musical presentation is very full bodied, lushful, detailed and liquid sounding. The iDSD BL is powerful, detailed, and not as wet sounding by comparison. I'm not sure I would call it thin sounding though.

Aug 26, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #1,253 of 6,207
I think im just going to hang around and watch this thread and watch the price go down a little more over the next couple of months. Then buy the X7II perhaps used (am not rich) :D
Nice to see some reviews and peoples opinions comming in, If it sounds anything like or better than DP-X1 then thats great! :) I found the DP-X1 very enjoyable, I did find the trebble a bit harsh and foreward however and if anything is foreward I prefer it to be mids.

I think the Fiio X7II can work well with headphones with in-line remote control which Is a very helpful function!

We are lliving in a very interesting time, as much as I want to go and live in a cave and get away from the internet and modern insanity I do think its great that modern tech is starting to make products that sound very musical and let the listener just enjoy. But I also Know that us music freaks always have some kind of seaching for more/better ..going on. I think its a good thing but not good for the money in the Bank.

I think if I go live in a cave I will have to take a solar panel to power the Fiio :D

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #1,254 of 6,207
I think im just going to hang around and watch this thread and watch the price go down a little more over the next couple of months. Then buy the X7II perhaps used (am not rich) :D
Nice to see some reviews and peoples opinions comming in, If it sounds anything like or better than DP-X1 then thats great! :) I found the DP-X1 very enjoyable, I did find the trebble a bit harsh and foreward however and if anything is foreward I prefer it to be mids.

I think the Fiio X7II can work well with headphones with in-line remote control which Is a very helpful function!
I tried the X7 MKII with my B&W P9's last night and it had no problem driving them. I enjoyed the pairing for the rest of the night. That's how good they sounded. There was no harshness or loss of details just music. The X7 MKII is definitely a winner in my book. For what you get in return I think it's very reasonably priced IMO.

Aug 26, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #1,255 of 6,207
I do think its great that modern tech is starting to make products that sound very musical and let the listener just enjoy. :D

Starting to make products musical?

Some of us are old enough to remember back 40 years ago to the heyday of record decks by Linn, Roksan, Pink Triangle etc (in fact still own them), and in my opinion digital technology is still trying to emulate that musicality. It's not something new :)

Aug 26, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #1,256 of 6,207

Some of us are old enough to remember back 40 years ago to the heyday of record decks by Linn, Roksan, Pink Triangle etc (in fact still own them), and in my opinion digital technology is still trying to emulate that musicality. It's not something new :)
Boy, I remember those days. My brother still plays vinyl and there is nothing like that good ole' analog sound. The X7 MKII is close to emulating that sound. It's a very musical DAP to my ears.

Aug 26, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #1,257 of 6,207

I got a Marantz that was made 40+ years ago

It's pretty awesome.

Aug 26, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #1,258 of 6,207

We are lliving in a very interesting time, as much as I want to go and live in a cave and get away from the internet and modern insanity I do think its great that modern tech is starting to make products that sound very musical and let the listener just enjoy. But I also Know that us music freaks always have some kind of seaching for more/better ..going on. I think its a good thing but not good for the money in the Bank.

I think if I go live in a cave I will have to take a solar panel to power the Fiio :D

Mid forward is more like a Sony signature :D

Aug 26, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #1,259 of 6,207
Yes of course. :D

EDIT: @Dobrescu George Now you have to tell me if this is true when you get the X7 II :)

Sure!

Having head DX200, iDSD BL and Opus #3, I think that it will be a matter of preferrence when it comes to sound. I really like DX200 and Opus #3, and you probably know that iDSD BL is my benchmark for those things, so I wouldn't say it is thin.

I don't have any thin sounding IEM or headphone, DX200 is far from clinical, but it is dry, feature which I love to bits.

Dry means that you have a better definition of every sound, every minor detail is not prolonged in length and better defined from the others, I can imagine it being a matter of taste whether somebody likes dry or normal or wet, but the fact that something is dry means that it doesn't enhance the length of its transients and musical notes.

This makes it far easier to notice details, I guess that analytical is a good word as well - but all those are things that I actually like.

Aug 26, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #1,260 of 6,207
Sure!

Having head DX200, iDSD BL and Opus #3, I think that it will be a matter of preferrence when it comes to sound. I really like DX200 and Opus #3, and you probably know that iDSD BL is my benchmark for those things, so I wouldn't say it is thin.

I don't have any thin sounding IEM or headphone, DX200 is far from clinical, but it is dry, feature which I love to bits.

Dry means that you have a better definition of every sound, every minor detail is not prolonged in length and better defined from the others, I can imagine it being a matter of taste whether somebody likes dry or normal or wet, but the fact that something is dry means that it doesn't enhance the length of its transients and musical notes.

This makes it far easier to notice details, I guess that analytical is a good word as well - but all those are things that I actually like.

That kind of signature always leaves love or hate impressions which reminds me of X7 with AM1, I never liked that kind of sound signature. I really liked X7 with AM3 though and I expect that X7 II will definitely improve on that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back