FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 16, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #1,052 of 6,207
FiiO X7 Mark II - Calling All Early Buyers
Share Your Opinion - Free Gift!

To all of the early buyers of FiiO X7 Mark II, we thank you for selecting FiiO as your portable player of choice. In our constant endeavor to improve our products for the benefit of our user community, we invite you to take part in a survey regarding your experience with the X7 Mark II. As a small thanks for your participation, we will send you a gift bag containing a pair of EM3 headphones and a HB1 waterproof headphone case. Please click on the link below to submit your survey feedback:

Take the Survey

This survey is open to customers who have purchased a FiiO X7 Mark II from Amazon.com in the United States prior to 8/30/2017. Information gathered will be used for internal review only and will not be shared with any third parties. Thank you in advance for sharing your feedback with us!

Damn, gutted it’s restricted to the US! Bought one yesterday on Amazon.co.uk and it arrived today!

Initial impressions are good. I have to set the volume to 80/90 (low gain) for me to be a happy listener, I’m using the iSine 20 IEMs. Haven’t had a chance to pair it with my HD650s yet. I tried Bluetooth with my Bose Soundsport (they’re only for while I’m at work :p) and it sounds better than my iPhone, I have to assume that’s because the player and the Bose has Apt-X.

Haven’t filled the internal memory yet, which is lucky as I don’t have any high capacity SD cards on hand. Not that I have a large library of music!

Does anyone know where to source a decent cable to connect this with my Mojo Chord? I’m curious to see the difference, if it any, it makes!

Aug 16, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #1,053 of 6,207
I don't understand. Linking the Mojo to X7II bypasses the superior dac and amp of the X7II and utilises the dac/amp of the Mojo, thus X7ii just facilitates as a transport of digital files for Mojo, which should be no difference with linking the Mojo to iPhone or android phone?

I will be surprised if anyone can describe a sound difference, as this means there must be some flaws in design of the Mojo?

Probably good for you to use the same songs same volume on both your iphone/Mojo rig and your X7ii to do direct comparison?

Does anyone know where to source a decent cable to connect this with my Mojo Chord? I’m curious to see the difference, if it any, it makes!

Aug 16, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #1,054 of 6,207
Damn, gutted it’s restricted to the US! Bought one yesterday on Amazon.co.uk and it arrived today!

Initial impressions are good. I have to set the volume to 80/90 (low gain) for me to be a happy listener, I’m using the iSine 20 IEMs. Haven’t had a chance to pair it with my HD650s yet. I tried Bluetooth with my Bose Soundsport (they’re only for while I’m at work :p) and it sounds better than my iPhone, I have to assume that’s because the player and the Bose has Apt-X.

Haven’t filled the internal memory yet, which is lucky as I don’t have any high capacity SD cards on hand. Not that I have a large library of music!

Congratulations, please post your impressions with HD650. I have been waiting for this.....

Aug 16, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #1,055 of 6,207
What the gear won't pick up is things like cross talk - but the numbers are so low you shouldn't hear a difference anyway. There are times when balanced will help though. I'd thinking of getting a balanced cable connection for my HD800S and HD600. Both will be able to take advantage of the extra power output. So there are definite advantages - just depends on situation.

I use the Alo Audio Green Line for my HD800 which has 2.5mm termination option. I would be happy to let you try it (either at the CL meet or otherwise) to see if it fits the bill. The only thing I don't like is that the main cable is green and the 2.5mm termination is from their copper series...

Aug 16, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #1,056 of 6,207
Actually, Mojo's frequency response measures flat to 20kHz for most headphones, and there is only -0.3dB rolloff @10kHz with very sensitive IEMs. I've discussed this a few times with Rob Watts and the smooth tuning is down to the implementation of the DAC filter rather than a rolled off treble. If looking at 3rd party measurements they need to account for the delay from the Mojo's output or they will get inaccurate measurements.

Now, for my part, when I heard the X7 classic (am1) it sounded flat and all the detail was brought forward to the same plane, as I said in my review of the unit. Completely unnatural to me. Of course others like this and I won't debate anyone's preferences, but that is how I heard it. Everything was forced forward to my ears in direct comparison. I'm very interested to hear the X7 mkII to see if the same effect is present.

Rob Watts did actually admit somewhere in the main Mojo thread on head-fi that the Mojo had treble roll-off with balanced armature iems due to its simple amp stage. From measurements I have seen, the treble roll-off can reach more than 3 db at the top of the audible range.

The Mojo has strong bass and mids are good as well. It's transient and detail reproduction is from first listening very slightly better in the bass and mids than the X7 II (depending on the digital filter, gain setting, single or balanced setting used on the X7 II).
But the Mojo lacks treble detail and can sound slightly harsh overall, while the X7 (for example with the Apodizing Fast Roll-off filter) has better treble detail and extension than the Mojo (with all cans I tested it with so far).
Also, while the Mojo"s led color glass balls look cool, it is almost impossible to judge just how loud its setting is. There"s always the danger of frying your headphones or your ears when swapping headphones...

Aug 16, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #1,057 of 6,207
The K7xx, bass light? You definitely have never listened to the K701! :wink:
But that is a sound signature I love!

You're right - I've only ever heard the K702 anniversary. Based on that I got the K7XX. I love the depth of bass, but in some cases I wished the mid bass was more defined and punchier. It's my only complaint - otherwise I love the soundstage and detail. In some vocals like Il Divo, I even prefer it to my JH13v2.

So I am quite excited I can power them with the X7ii. Unfortunately the local store is out until mid sept. So until then will have to content with the impressions in this thread!

Aug 16, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #1,059 of 6,207
I have seen a couple of mentions about folks trying to read and play music from a usb powered storage device (could be SSD, an SD Card, etc.) connected through the micro usb connection. Has anyone succeeded in getting this to work on the X7 Mk II?

Thanks

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #1,061 of 6,207
Rob Watts did actually admit somewhere in the main Mojo thread on head-fi that the Mojo had treble roll-off with balanced armature iems due to its simple amp stage. From measurements I have seen, the treble roll-off can reach more than 3 db at the top of the audible range.

Actually, it's negligible. Believe me, I know about the Mojo and Rob's posts. Likely the measurements you've seen didn't account for the output delay leading to inaccurate results.

Here's one example:

No. 10kHz is a negligible -0.1dB, 20kHz -0.6dB.

If I took the filter out you would hear the difference, but its absolutely nothing to do with frequency response but to do with noise floor modulation caused by out of band noise.

Rob

Seriously, this is waaaaay off topic in the X7 mkII thread. Feel free to PM me if anyone wants to debate my posts.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #1,062 of 6,207
For those who have this already, what is the blue light bar above the amp module used for?

Just guessing here:

1. Easier to read power on indicator than checking the power button.
2. Blue lights always looks cool.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #1,064 of 6,207
Just guessing here:

1. Easier to read power on indicator than checking the power button.
2. Blue lights always looks cool.
I like to have it solidly on when using it and pulsing when charging. I'm not sure how much it impacts battery life, but it can't be too much.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #1,065 of 6,207
x7ii received, just ouf of the box, the 7ii is way punchier and dynamic than the x5iii, a little bit blurry but i guess time is going to fix this.
The navigation speed is day and night between the both.

@Asmodai Good to hear :) I have read so many complains about the slowness of the X5 iii
If it not the case with the x7 II then it will comfort my decision to by it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back