FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 16, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #1,037 of 6,207
What AMP do you use @cecaniah to power your HD650? Is it the default one (ie. AM3A) ? I am considering buying the X7ii (and also the HD600 or HD6500) but when I read the specification sheet, the output seems low, so I am worried about its capability to drive high impedance headphone :frowning2:
The X7ii's SE headphone impedance is half of what is recommended for the HD6XX (150Ω instead of 300Ω) but quite fortunately, the HD6XX isn't the most picky headphones out there and scales amazingly well as you go up the chain of better amps. If you want to use a pair of HD650 optimally, might be a good idea to either purchase a custom balanced cable to make use of the balanced 300Ω output or buy the AM5 amp module if you find that its performance is lacking.

For me, I find that increasing the volume is sufficient enough to enjoy my HD6XX but I am definitely looking forward to getting other newer amp modules to play with in the near future.

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #1,038 of 6,207
The X7ii's SE headphone impedance is half of what is recommended for the HD6XX (150Ω instead of 300Ω) but quite fortunately, the HD6XX isn't the most picky headphones out there and scales amazingly well as you go up the chain of better amps. If you want to use a pair of HD650 optimally, might be a good idea to either purchase a custom balanced cable to make use of the balanced 300Ω output or buy the AM5 amp module if you find that its performance is lacking.

For me, I find that increasing the volume is sufficient enough to enjoy my HD6XX but I am definitely looking forward to getting other newer amp modules to play with in the near future.

Thx @cecaniah I think I will do the same in the first time :) And maybe later buy as you said a balanced cable or a new module.

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #1,039 of 6,207
Thx @cecaniah I think I will do the same in the first time :) And maybe later buy as you said a balanced cable or a new module.
I'm certain you'll enjoy the HD650 and X7ii pairing since my HD6XX is pretty much a clone of the former. I'm planning on getting a custom cable made in the coming months when I have more spare cash at hand. Wallet's a little too light after the X7ii came home. :p

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #1,040 of 6,207
FullSizeRender.jpg
@FrutigerSans : As surprising as it is to me, the X7ii drives the AKG K7xx very well (in high gain mode, mind you, and I am at 100/120 - I doubt anything under 85/120 would be really enjoyable).
I'd be really happy with the X7ii paired with the K7xx, even if I didn't have a portable amp handy.
I might try and find some time over the week end to compare how the X7ii/K7xx compares to the X7ii-A5/K7xx, but I cannot guarantee you finding time before early next week.

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,041 of 6,207
How is working Neutron Music Player on the FiiO X7 Mark II?

Neutron pairs great with X7 mark ii with the AM3A amp. I haven't tested its connectivity to a external USB DAC, but the attached amp sounds great with both my se215s and my AEON headphones. The AEONs have been playing nice with the gain set to high, with the volume around 75, while the se215s seem good at low gain with volume around 30.

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #1,042 of 6,207

@FrutigerSans : As surprising as it is to me, the X7ii drives the AKG K7xx very well (in high gain mode, mind you, and I am at 100/120 - I doubt anything under 85/120 would be really enjoyable).
I'd be really happy with the X7ii paired with the K7xx, even if I didn't have a portable amp handy.
I might try and find some time over the week end to compare how the X7ii/K7xx compares to the X7ii-A5/K7xx, but I cannot guarantee you finding time before early next week.

Wow. I admit I was kind of hoping you won't have a good report so I can justify not spending more $ on this hobby... you may have convinced me to pull the plug!

I managed to stop by the shop after work to have a list - with my JH13v2 I had with me, the X7ii is definitely a little warmer than Ak70, but the bass is much better - more definition and well rounded. Probably makes a good pairing with the K7xx which is a tad bass light with the AK70. Detail they are almost even. All in all I am very very tempted.

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #1,043 of 6,207
Wow. I admit I was kind of hoping you won't have a good report so I can justify not spending more $ on this hobby... you may have convinced me to pull the plug!

I managed to stop by the shop after work to have a list - with my JH13v2 I had with me, the X7ii is definitely a little warmer than Ak70, but the bass is much better - more definition and well rounded. Probably makes a good pairing with the K7xx which is a tad bass light with the AK70. Detail they are almost even. All in all I am very very tempted.
The K7xx, bass light? You definitely have never listened to the K701! :wink:
But that is a sound signature I love!

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #1,044 of 6,207
You might say i wont be able to differentiate between amps blind. That might be true. Its cause i am not trained to do so. I have little motivation to pursue such endeavour. Pretty sure there are ppl who will differentiate between amps blind 100%. People who are employed by audio companies for listening tests.

Cool your jets man and don't put words in my mouth. I think you are completely misunderstanding what I was saying. I agree with most of your assement between the Mojo and X7 classic. All I was saying is I disagree with the terminology you used. I hear, and have heard many times, clear differences between gear and have expressed as much, and I would never tell you what you can or can not hear. What I was trying to get through is just that I think rolled-off is simply the wrong term to use. That's it. Good grief.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #1,046 of 6,207
Can someone explain to me what is the effect of each filter on the sound?
I must admit I am lost with the terms used in the filters' description.
Also, is a reboot needed to apply those settings?
Thanks in advance.

Answer to 2nd question: No need to reboot

Concerning 1st question, I guess its one of those hard hard things to answer if you want the answer translated to an audible effect in sound. Maybe this reading can clear it a bit?
https://www.audiostream.com/content...ed-todays-audio-dacs-resonessence-labs-tech-3

My two cents

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #1,047 of 6,207
Thank you for the graph, I appreciate your sperimental demonstration. Sometimes the addition of a new feature (for instance: the balanced output) is synonymous of pure marketing.
In these days I have been searching for a good-value IEM with balanced cable. That is to say that my perspective of my next FiiO X7ii plays a big game on my mind.
Sometimes I search for someone who is able to modify the Sennheiser IE800 from SE to balanced.... After your precious comment, this is really non-sense.
Thank You very much, numbers are numbers. This must be a lesson for everyone!

What the gear won't pick up is things like cross talk - but the numbers are so low you shouldn't hear a difference anyway. There are times when balanced will help though. I'd thinking of getting a balanced cable connection for my HD800S and HD600. Both will be able to take advantage of the extra power output. So there are definite advantages - just depends on situation.

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #1,048 of 6,207
Answer to 2nd question: No need to reboot

Concerning 1st question, I guess its one of those hard hard things to answer if you want the answer translated to an audible effect in sound. Maybe this reading can clear it a bit?
https://www.audiostream.com/content...ed-todays-audio-dacs-resonessence-labs-tech-3

My two cents
Thank you for the answer @Paulo Abreu , I will carefully read that when I am less tired than I currently am.
Very good device it is, I must say.
One more question: is there a deep sleep mode (in pure music mode, that is)? I have not found it yet...

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #1,049 of 6,207
Thank you for the answer @Paulo Abreu , I will carefully read that when I am less tired than I currently am.
Very good device it is, I must say.
One more question: is there a deep sleep mode (in pure music mode, that is)? I have not found it yet...

There is a sleep in settings (swipe twice from top, cog wheel), Power-Off timers, Sleep

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back