FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 13, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #871 of 6,207
You mention impedance. Do you think the *relatively* high output impedance on the AM3A is likely to give grief?

Doesn't seem to with the F9 - I'd want to measure though, as I know how much expectation can bias me.

Funnily enough I ordered a FiiO 2 pin balanced cable for my U6 solely because of the impedance change. I know it raises the mid-range, and lowers the bass with the 64Audio U6 (extra impedance), so I'm interested to see what it does with the X7ii. My one concern with the U6 was always that the upper mid-range was too flat for my personal tastes, so I'm really keen to see what the effect is.

I will measure the F9 with both outputs later this week. I'm in the midst of finally writing up the X5iii, and will do the X7ii shortly afterwards.

Aug 13, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #872 of 6,207
You realise that there is a big volume difference between the two (SE and balanced), and the "big difference" you are hearing is likely to be because you haven't volume matched properly - right? Louder sounds better to us. it's the way we are wired.
I did adjust the volume on SE mode by ear since I did notice it was softer than on balanced mode but well, you're right that I didn't match them down to the dB. I read your longer analysis as well and am looking forward to testing it for myself again when I receive my F9s.

My procedures for comparison were by no means scientific but in my limited experience I did find the SE mode harsher at higher frequencies. This is perhaps something I'm more sensitive to compared to many others since bulk of my favourites tend to have sections that have information at these frequencies which makes or break a song for me.

Also, I see that you are using an adaptor for quick switching while my experience was switching between the two cables provided within the box. I'm thinking that might be the culprit for the perceivable difference I felt in my own comparison.

But you do make many interesting points that I'll definitely take note of when I do more critical listening.

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #875 of 6,207
Mine should be here tomorrow :)

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #878 of 6,207
I did adjust the volume on SE mode by ear since I did notice it was softer than on balanced mode but well, you're right that I didn't match them down to the dB. I read your longer analysis as well and am looking forward to testing it for myself again when I receive my F9s.

My procedures for comparison were by no means scientific but in my limited experience I did find the SE mode harsher at higher frequencies. This is perhaps something I'm more sensitive to compared to many others since bulk of my favourites tend to have sections that have information at these frequencies which makes or break a song for me.

Also, I see that you are using an adaptor for quick switching while my experience was switching between the two cables provided within the box. I'm thinking that might be the culprit for the perceivable difference I felt in my own comparison.

But you do make many interesting points that I'll definitely take note of when I do more critical listening.

Do yourself a favor and trust me on this,

DO NOT do more critical evaluation. Just trust your ears and enjoy.

I'd bet $100 Brooko would turn off the switch in his brain that instantly listens for peaks and dips in a playback even when the moment might have been intended to be one for enjoyment. It happens automatically after a while.
The freedom to just enjoy is awesome and can be lost.

I just had a public argument and acted a dick about what the sound was in a panning effect made by folks I will never meet and who made in in 1973 (47 years ago)...man...who cares? I did enough to act like a tool. What am I nuts?

Nah, I just have O.C.D and developed a bad habit of listening to cymbal crashes and guitar plucks and the speed they resonate at instead of the song. I am pretty close to gone. I have learned via PM's that the fear of losing the joy is common.

Just listen, enjoy and don't doubt your own brain no matter how many folks throw graphs in your face. Just enjoy.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #880 of 6,207

I'd bet $100 Brooko would turn off the switch in his brain that instantly listens for peaks and dips in a playback even when the moment might have been intended to be one for enjoyment. It happens automatically after a while.

I just had a public argument and acted a dick about what the sound was in a panning effect made by folks I will never meet and who made in in 1973 (47 years ago)...man...who cares? I did enough to act like a tool. What am I nuts?

Nah, I just have O.C.D and developed a bad habit of listening to cymbal crashes and guitar plucks and the speed they resonate at instead of the song. I am pretty close to gone. I have learned via PM's that the fear of losing the joy is common.

Just listen, enjoy and don't doubt your own brain no matter how many folks throw graphs in your face. Just enjoy.
Well put, enjoy and learn to keep enjoying the music as long as you can then try harder.

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #881 of 6,207

Appreciate the sentiment! But no fret, I'm definitely in for the enjoyment and being able to critically appreciate differences (objectively perceivable or not) is part of the fun in it too. And just like you have a very matured habit of your own, I have the same of listening to the very moment where female vocals peak and decay and it's eargasmic for me.
Oh heating because you use it as USB dac?
Yeah, it's only overheating as a USB DAC thus far. I was experimenting so I put on my HD6XX and listened to it as a DAP for literally 7 hours straight from 100% till the battery died. Playback was continuous throughout hence I can only conclude something went awry with its USB DAC implementation.
Well put, enjoy and learn to keep enjoying the music as long as you can then try harder.
Will do! :darthsmile:

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #884 of 6,207
Thank you for the feedback.

I was waiting for such a comparison (AM3<>AM3A), I have a HD800S and your comparison is really helpful.

I read that you compared the sound of the AM3 to the AM3A and you preferrered the AM3A.

But with your setup did you also compare the X7II sound amplified by the HDVD 800 to the sound amplified by the AM3A ?

Hi #Zike and #JaviAl, Sorry for the late reply. I'm still catching up with posts.

I did compare the X7ii amplified by the HDVD800 using the HD800S and the Sennheiser balanced cable.
I used the coaxial connection at the line out of the X7ii into the HDVD800 amp.

I used the AM3A amplification only with the Shure SE846 and AKG K4003 earphones. I have however read somewhere,
possibly on this forum, that someone had tried an X7 (or X7ii), directly into the HD800S, with good results, due to them
being of 300 ohm impedance.

I didn't try the AM3A directly amplifying the HD800S as it would have meant swopping over the Sennheiser balanced cable
for the standard cable and then using a 3.5 mm adaptor, which is a real fiddle and rather top heavy.

Sennheiser don't seem to supply a 3,5 mm plug with the standard cable, which is rather unusual as most manufacturers
supply a screw in one. (Unless I've missed something in the packaging.)

#JaviAl I'll reply to your PM re DSD in the next day or so. I haven't forgotten.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #885 of 6,207
An nua so fast you gotten this? Not yet released right?

Grabbed mine too in Singapore from first batch (pre-order source and price) but after pre-order period. They have an extra set so released to me since I am quite regular.

I don't use it as USB DAC, thus can only conclude that this is so far the most stable DAP with zero hiccups for a newly released DAP.

I was looking for simple functionality of the best sound quality of a portable music player and does not use it for streaming, USB DAC, etc. It fits the bill more than my expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back