FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 1, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #436 of 6,207
If cost was an accurate metric of performance the Sony gold DAP would be among the best if not the best

Having said that a device in the same range (OPUS #3) would be better for compare for consumers

My X7ii v.s. X5iii (within $200 of release prices) showed my 3 Sony IEM/open back/overear in frame so i love Sony but that thing is not even owned by the Sony engineer that owns that shop.

Welp
Can't wait to hear them X7mkii, you seem to love it quite a lot :smile_phones:

I'm sure that them Sonys are great for some people, even known a few folks who love them Sonys to bits, but I guess that the volume limitation with them made me like other DAPs considerably more. FiiO has proven to be a great companion through all those years for me.

I have an Opus #3 and will add the comparison when I write about X7mkii

Aug 1, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #437 of 6,207
My sample model for the FiiO X7ii arrived today. I'm going to start playing around with it throughout the day while I film an unboxing video. Does anybody have any particular questions about the model that I could try and answer whilst I have the model close to hand? I'll check back on this thread every 30 mins or so.

20590638_1289518974509163_987258761_o.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #438 of 6,207
My sample model for the FiiO X7ii arrived today. I'm going to start playing around with it throughout the day while I film an unboxing video. Does anybody have any particular questions about the model that I could try and answer whilst I have the model close to hand? I'll check back on this thread every 30 mins or so.
claidler, I PM'd FiiO forum member but have not received any answers yet. So, if you please check the following:
1) The maximum sampling rate and bit depth supported by the S/PDIF and S/PDIF optical outs? Is it possible to output a DSD stream (64x or 128x) via the S/PDIF and S/PDIF optical outs to an external receiver?
2) Does the FiiO X7 Mark II support a DSD (64x and 128x) playback in USB DAC mode? Is USB DAC mode capped at 24 bit 192kHz?
4) What are the maximum sampling rate and bit depth supported when using the FiiO X7 Mark II's USB port as a digital output (i.e. when the FiiO X7 Mark II is used as a digital source)?
Thank you for any information and have an enjoyable DAP listening:))

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #439 of 6,207
Welp
Can't wait to hear them X7mkii, you seem to love it quite a lot :smile_phones:

I'm sure that them Sonys are great for some people, even known a few folks who love them Sonys to bits, but I guess that the volume limitation with them made me like other DAPs considerably more. FiiO has proven to be a great companion through all those years for me.

I have an Opus #3 and will add the comparison when I write about X7mkii

Got the OPUS #3 as well.

The X7ii and #3 both stream, Android based,are considered audiophile units by their makers and are within roughly $100
I will make the comparison as well. The DX is close in price but I already did a vid and stated my dislike. Curry likes it a lot and I respect his opinion. No need to further prove my bias. Just gonna sell.

The #3 and this are perfect gladiators. I will give them swords, they shall battle...hmmm....I just compare the sound on 3 tracks and skip the swords:thinking:

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #440 of 6,207
claidler, I PM'd FiiO forum member but have not received any answers yet. So, if you please check the following:
1) The maximum sampling rate and bit depth supported by the S/PDIF and S/PDIF optical outs? Is it possible to output a DSD stream (64x or 128x) via the S/PDIF and S/PDIF optical outs to an external receiver?
2) Does the FiiO X7 Mark II support a DSD (64x and 128x) playback in USB DAC mode? Is USB DAC mode capped at 24 bit 192kHz?
4) What are the maximum sampling rate and bit depth supported when using the FiiO X7 Mark II's USB port as a digital output (i.e. when the FiiO X7 Mark II is used as a digital source)?
Thank you for any information and have an enjoyable DAP listening:))

I'm not sure I'll be able to answer all of your questions as a lot of this information is unfortunately not specified in the provided documentation. You may be better waiting for your response from FiiO to get definite, fuller answers, but from what I can tell;

- Both 64x and 128x DSD files are supported, and USB DAC mode is indeed capped at 192kHz/24bit.
- I cannot see anything regarding maximum sampling rate for any other feature other than the figures for the USB DAC mode.
- The optical output is a shared line/coax/optical output. A short coaxial adaptor cable is provided. I am unsure if DSD can be output via this port.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #441 of 6,207
I'm not sure I'll be able to answer all of your questions as a lot of this information is unfortunately not specified in the provided documentation. You may be better waiting for your response from FiiO to get definite, fuller answers, but from what I can tell;

- Both 64x and 128x DSD files are supported, and USB DAC mode is indeed capped at 192kHz/24bit.
- I cannot see anything regarding maximum sampling rate for any other feature other than the figures for the USB DAC mode.
- The optical output is a shared line/coax/optical output. A short coaxial adaptor cable is provided. I am unsure if DSD can be output via this port.
Wow, that was quick!)) Thanks a lot! Yes, I will wait for the PM response

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #442 of 6,207
Got the OPUS #3 as well.

The X7ii and #3 both stream, Android based,are considered audiophile units by their makers and are within roughly $100
I will make the comparison as well. The DX is close in price but I already did a vid and stated my dislike. Curry likes it a lot and I respect his opinion. No need to further prove my bias. Just gonna sell.

The #3 and this are perfect gladiators. I will give them swords, they shall battle...hmmm....I just compare the sound on 3 tracks and skip the swords:thinking:

This pretty much summed up the category of X7 MkII. Though, MKII has an advantage over opus 3 by Amp modules. Still, the differences in signature and personal preferences will be a decisive factor.

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #445 of 6,207
I'd be very interested by a side by side comparison with FiiO X5 III regarding the sound quality (the core function of any DAP) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back