FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 1, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #451 of 6,207
Already done by hawaiibadboy on youtube.

He goes by channel "bad reviews good guy" or something. I hope its him only.
I didn't notice there was already a second review...

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #453 of 6,207
As the title of this thread includes "Dual mSD" I would think that anything other than a cursory review would examine its performance with fully loaded cards. This is especially true since the related X5III has issues with two 256 cards filled.

There are a very small number of users who have issues with full 256 cards, I have both Fiio x7, X5iii, Samsung S8 and Pioneer XDP-30R and swap the cards between each with no problems. It may be the cards, the formatting or the files (or dare I say the users). But when it is done right there is no ptoblem. :musical_score:15000+ tracks on each of 2 cards and more music on the internal memory. Full scanning and no crash logs on the Fiios.:)

Aug 1, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #454 of 6,207
There are a very small number of users who have issues with full 256 cards, I have both Fiio x7, X5iii, Samsung S8 and Pioneer XDP-30R and swap the cards between each with no problems. It may be the cards, the formatting or the files (or dare I say the users). But when it is done right there is no ptoblem. :musical_score:15000+ tracks on each of 2 cards and more music on the internal memory. Full scanning and no crash logs on the Fiios.:)
It still seems that FAT32 works best with all players, from what I have read and my own experience.

Aug 1, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #455 of 6,207

I have a rule of thumb of formatiing all mSD cards inside a FiiO DAP. This made them compatible with virtually everything I put the cards in!

It still seems that FAT32 works best with all players, from what I have read and my own experience.

It seems that everything out there likes FAT 32 better at the moment, phones, DAPs, everything :darthsmile:

Aug 1, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #456 of 6,207

When done right? Seriously? I have had no scanning issues either and files on the internal memory as well. I also have approximately 50k in tracks. I have had less when I had high resolution files on my card. That said I am surprised you haven't noticed the poor sorting method. With lots of tracks/albums it can be a nightmare. On the X5III thread FIIO commented that they would try to improve their sorting methodology => so apparently done right there is a problem in sorting elements of a large library. Also I have noticed that the FIIO app tends to freeze quite a bit when I am paging thru a large library. ( As a sidebar I would note that the Foobar app has significantly less issues wit this leading me to believe it is definitely a FIIO software problem) Perhaps your smaller collection is not impacted. Mine is and it seems directly relational to library size. You underscore my point which could have been made more clearly - most reviewing is cursory in nature and does not reliably reveal a device's limitation. Hopefully a reviewer will exchange some cards and really give the X7II a workout.

Aug 1, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #457 of 6,207
When done right? Seriously? I have had no scanning issues either and files on the internal memory as well. I also have approximately 50k in tracks. I have had less when I had high resolution files on my card. That said I am surprised you haven't noticed the poor sorting method. With lots of tracks/albums it can be a nightmare. On the X5III thread FIIO commented that they would try to improve their sorting methodology => so apparently done right there is a problem in sorting elements of a large library. Also I have noticed that the FIIO app tends to freeze quite a bit when I am paging thru a large library. ( As a sidebar I would note that the Foobar app has significantly less issues wit this leading me to believe it is definitely a FIIO software problem) Perhaps your smaller collection is not impacted. Mine is and it seems directly relational to library size. You underscore my point which could have been made more clearly - most reviewing is cursory in nature and does not reliably reveal a device's limitation. Hopefully a reviewer will exchange some cards and really give the X7II a workout.

No they sort fine, I have hade 50K ultra compressed mp3 on cards when away for a month (they sounded dreadful with good head phones) sorting was a bit slow but if the cash is kept clean that appeared to help. I use folder view almost exclusively and the 3 dots (icon) to order within the folder or simply stick the player on random. When you have a test player time is a bit limited and you tend to review a product in the way that you personally tend to use it i.e. I rarely comment on streaming as I seldom use it. With Fiio I only comment on the 'pure' player and usually Neutron my other player of choice and how I find the sound with my ears an other kit. There is no substitute for trying kit your self, reviews can only point you in the right or wrong direction:L3000:

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #458 of 6,207
No they sort fine, I have hade 50K ultra compressed mp3 on cards when away for a month (they sounded dreadful with good head phones) sorting was a bit slow but if the cash is kept clean that appeared to help. I use folder view almost exclusively and the 3 dots (icon) to order within the folder or simply stick the player on random. When you have a test player time is a bit limited and you tend to review a product in the way that you personally tend to use it i.e. I rarely comment on streaming as I seldom use it. With Fiio I only comment on the 'pure' player and usually Neutron my other player of choice and how I find the sound with my ears an other kit. There is no substitute for trying kit your self, reviews can only point you in the right or wrong direction:L3000:

Crazy! But this does point out about the cursory nature of reviews. I read your review of the X5II and you make no mention of sorting or really anything substantial of the interface. On page 688 of the main X5iii thread I made two posts regarding sorting. In the second post I casually compare the sorting of the FIIO app and the Neutron app. On page 689 FIIO replies as follows:

Dear friend,

According to the feedback from our engineers, we are trying to improve the sorting in category in later firmware. Sorry if bringing inconvenince to you.

Best regards

In fact the FIIO app does not sort fine. The errors inherent in the FIIO sort method are worthy of mention.

Cheers,

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #459 of 6,207
Crazy! But this does point out about the cursory nature of reviews. I read your review of the X5II and you make no mention of sorting or really anything substantial of the interface. On page 688 of the main X5iii thread I made two posts regarding sorting. In the second post I casually compare the sorting of the FIIO app and the Neutron app. On page 689 FIIO replies as follows:

In fact the FIIO app does not sort fine. The errors inherent in the FIIO sort method are worthy of mention.

Cheers,

LEt's hope that they manage to sort things out sometime in the future.

In the meanwhile, having the option to use 3rd party apps should help you a bit with this kind of problems :darthsmile:

What I really want is that if I'm using folder browsing, when I reach the last song of a folder, the first song from the next folder to start playing. This seems to be quite rare in most apps, although doesn't seem hard to implement. I forgot if this was there with X5-3, but will test if it is there with X7mkii.

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #460 of 6,207
LEt's hope that they manage to sort things out sometime in the future.

In the meanwhile, having the option to use 3rd party apps should help you a bit with this kind of problems :darthsmile:

What I really want is that if I'm using folder browsing, when I reach the last song of a folder, the first song from the next folder to start playing. This seems to be quite rare in most apps, although doesn't seem hard to implement. I forgot if this was there with X5-3, but will test if it is there with X7mkii.

It is true that the third party app are a partial offset but I would note that the "Pure Mode" is a selling point. If it actually matters then having to step down to a third party app is a bummer.

In his review Peter1480 mentioned he thought the sound wasn't as good in the Neutron app as it was in the FIIO app.

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #463 of 6,207
Have any of you new owners had a chance to compare the AM3A to the original AM3? With HawaiiBadboy's glowing review of the balanced output, I'm very interested in this comparison.
Another one interested in hearing in a comparison between these two amps. The output specs favor the AM3 but there has to be something special about the AM3A. Otherwise, why offer it on your brand new product.

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #464 of 6,207
IMG_5140.JPG Having a morning listen to the FiiO X7 Mark 2 with Monk+(Bal), Jomo 6R with Double Helix Cable and (not pictured - Campfire Audio Andromeda with iBasso CB13 cable).

Still familarizing myself with the X7 Mark 2. Early days yet.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #465 of 6,207
As the title of this thread includes "Dual mSD" I would think that anything other than a cursory review would examine its performance with fully loaded cards. This is especially true since the related X5III has issues with two 256 cards filled.

There are a few members with this device now. I am sure one of them can address one of the questions in addition to the review they do.

Last night I tested DSD files and 2 packed 256g cards (packed by the massive DSD files and i noted no lag, no audio relics, stutter or any performance issue. The first time i loaded the DSD 128 they did not play but that was on me.
I just played a DSD 128 file about 3 gig in size and went into my library and fast scrolled and went button crazy and it had no issue. I assume the 2nd gig of ram is helping out right there

20170802_115017[1].jpg

Screenshot_2017-08-02-11-50-35.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back