FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Sep 4, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #1,457 of 6,207
Thanks for your reply , unfortunately this is the only connection to my computer ( my desktop DAC don't have optical nor coax !) hope that issue will be fix rapidly ! Talking about FW upgrade on the X7 MKII , does it need a factory reset after upgrading ? Thanks

Instead of using usb to play music on your PC through the FiiO X7II, you should be able to use WiFi. You could set up your PC as a NAS, that is share your music folder on your PC over the (WiFi) network and then install an Android app on your FiiO such as Samba Network Music Player or other network capable audio players to play the music files from your pc.

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #1,458 of 6,207
Typically, no :) If all goes well, all your internal files and settings are preserved after a firmware upgrade.
OK , have more questions , i will receive in a few days the X7 MKII , first important things to do (after inserting micro XD cards) except language , play mode ,wifi .......... settings are Update media library or scann music files ? which things to do first ?

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #1,459 of 6,207
Instead of using usb to play music on your PC through the FiiO X7II, you should be able to use WiFi. You could set up your PC as a NAS, that is share your music folder on your PC over the (WiFi) network and then install an Android app on your FiiO such as Samba Network Music Player or other network capable audio players to play the music files from your pc.
Thank you for the suggestion ! Regards

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #1,460 of 6,207
Jeepers - I'm reading this and shaking my head. So much speculation by people who haven't heard the amp modules in question, and so much incorrect information regarding power requirements for the IE800 too. The IE800 is 16 ohms and has an SPL of 125 dB at 1V at 1 kHz. That means your average smart-phone will have no issues at all driving it, and the X7ii with AM3A has more than enough power to "drive it to its fullest potential" in good old audiophile speak :)

The X7ii will output up to 200 mW into that load at a peak current of 150 mA and 6 Vp-p which is enough to deafen you.

And I'm sorry - but I'm going to just come out and say it. The IE800 is not a difficult load to drive (I've tried it out of an iPhone and it sounds OK - not my preferred signature - but driven perfectly). I think what people are talking about is tonality. The AM3A is essentially a pretty neutral amp module. The AM2 and AM5 are warm. The IE800 are a bassy V shaped IEM with strong treble. If you need a warm amp to control the treble, then guess what. You bought the wrong IEM. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the AM3A - and as an amp which can do SE and balanced, and meet most people's needs, FiiO got it right IMO.

Someone had to say it ........

I have been testing the x7ii with my iSine20 which are 24ohm 120db and I can assure you the x7ii with the am3a amp module has more than enough power in low gain to power these to their fullest.
In fact comparing the quality of sound between the x7ii and my Explorer2 into JDS Element amp, I sense no difference from an ability to drive perspective (Typical loose bass, splashy highs, lack of articulation). Both go well into deafening as well from a volume perspective.

I understand some transducers need more current or voltage (I don't understand why, too lazy to read that rabbit hole of text) but the x7ii has more than enough of both to move most transducers.

Heck to test the theory I could probably get hold of a mates pair of Ether C's today before sending the x7ii on to the next lucky reviewer.

Sep 4, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #1,461 of 6,207
I generally associate v shaped, bright, dark etc when there is a lack of detail or quantity in certain frquency range. For v shaped sound, classic example would be audio technica m50. Where there is lack of detail and substance in mid range.

I have seen certain reviewers describe perfectly balanced hps like hd700 as v shaped. I cant get aboard this description cause to my ears its mid range is not lacking in detail or substance. Its separated and instruments as a whole maintain some distance from listeners. True, after listening for some time to something like hifiman he400i, one finds it difficult to hear mids cause separation and distance. But once you adjust to its sound, it again starts to paint whole picture of the band again. Albiet at a distance from listener.

I see.

That's not what it is about, V-shaped or U-shaped is a jargon that defines how the Frequency response looks like on paper.

Having a U-shaped signature doesn't mean that the mids are bad, for example ie800 has amazing mids, yet it is extremely U shaped.

I'd say that HD700 is mildly to seriously V-shaped. This is not something bad, but something to take into account. I am what you'd name an audiophile and I love V-shaped and U-shaped signatures a lot

For refference, this is how HD700 looks like in its FR>

f4afa56001b8c380142c5c3c42932840.png

To my ears, HD700 sounded quite treble happy.

About ATH-M50, that is a headphone I dislike (some peeps might be amazed by this, but there are things I actually dislike out there). M50 has a slightly bass heavy signature, as you can see from its graph provided by Golden Ears.

5ebeef5a42b3c36d1db184b973db8d02.png

The problem with M50 is that it sounds uni dimensional.

There aren't any measurements that can measure how much something will expand in the 3D space, at least for now.

At any rate, I have not heard HE-400i, but to most people something like ER4-XR would sound linear, maybe mid-centric / Mid forward, ie800 will sound U-shaped or V-shaped, and something like FiiO X5-3 will be extremely smooth/warm, while X5ii was a bit warm, but not necessarily smooth.

If you hear things differently, it'd be best to either try to understand why everybody names sound the way they do, so you can know what to expect, or find someone with similar tastes / opinions and discuss things so you have a similar vocabulary / expectations. This might / should help a bit (?)

I don't think I can provide any other help with this, understanding the audio vocabulary might take time, but I think that it is a part of this hobby.

Sep 4, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #1,462 of 6,207
I don't think bass heavy = musical, and don't think headfonics language states that.

If bass heavy is musical, just grab the most bass focused headphones with dynamic driver will do, as DAP won't give you as much bass as the actual driver.

As per headfonics language, musical means bass heavy.

Its confusing really. Ppl should use easy to understand language in their reviews.

When i read comments like v shaped sound, u shaped sound etc i imagine fun sound with boosted bass and treble, suitable for pop, hip hop etc. While actually such hp might be suitable for jazz, soul type of music.

Sep 4, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #1,463 of 6,207
Good that you have found your own definition of "musicality"!

Yes, I agree that "musicality" is subjective and thus I just could not buy the DX200 after doing a proper audition. Very detailed, but not my kind of musicality. Could not listen for longer duration, similar experience that I get with Opus DAP.

Good that you like the DX200, as it feels like a well-built DAP, but just not quite my musical preference.

Musiscality is subjective indeed. After a week or so of owning DX200, it is EXTREMELY musical to my ears, and this is because I can now hear every guitar note, every guitar tone. I haven't stacked it against X7mkii yet since X7 has not arrived yet, but good to keep in mind that musicality is subjective.
When I receive the package, I promise to compare them. Loving DX200 so far, hope that X7mkii impresses me as much! :gs1000smile:

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #1,464 of 6,207
Good that you have found your own definition of "musicality"!

Yes, I agree that "musicality" is subjective and thus I just could not buy the DX200 after doing a proper audition. Very detailed, but not my kind of musicality. Could not listen for longer duration, similar experience that I get with Opus DAP.

Good that you like the DX200, as it feels like a well-built DAP, but just not quite my musical preference.

The unit you tested was burned-in?

I honestly do not advice anyone to burn-in equipment in general, but in the case of DX200, iBasso included a burn-in cable thingy for AM01 that made guitars much more melodic / playful than in the first hour of audition.

Also, musicality is not bass, bass is not even extremely musical, I think that musicality is in the mids, not the bass, nor the treble, those are details and impact, but musicality itself should probably come from the midrange, where voices, violins, pianos and other physically musical instruments reside.

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #1,465 of 6,207
I hope you get the x7 ii soon that you can compare it with the dx200

The DX200 is a hot piece of over priced hype. I had it with X7ii and sold the DX200 The X7ii sounds more natural and lively with better dynamics.

George, I asked a fair and reasonable question regarding what DAP's you don't particularly like and never got an answer. What people do not like is as valuable as what they do when gauging a persons personal tastes/bias/prefs

I dislike the DX200 and original X7
I Like Mojo X5iii Shozy +
I Love Calyx-M, X7II,

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #1,467 of 6,207
I agree with @Hawaiibadboy's assessment of the DX200. It's not a very enjoyable-sounding DAP, which is curious, given it shares the same DAC chip as the X7ii.

so badly the dx200 is not to be in the dx200 forum he is highly praised. but I also find it good to hear the negative. I would be happy to hear if the x7ii is better and has no bugs and warmer sounds I am looking for a dap which harmonizes well with hip hop / rap / pop

I would like to hear both myself, only is far and wide no shop in my vicinity

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #1,468 of 6,207
The DX200 is a hot piece of over priced hype. I had it with X7ii and sold the DX200 The X7ii sounds more natural and lively with better dynamics.

George, I asked a fair and reasonable question regarding what DAP's you don't particularly like and never got an answer. What people do not like is as valuable as what they do when gauging a persons personal tastes/bias/prefs

I dislike the DX200 and original X7
I Like Mojo X5iii Shozy +
I Love Calyx-M, X7II,

Woah, I thought I mentioned this

I love: DX200, Opus #3

I like AP200, X5ii, X3ii, X7+AM03, Megamini

I didn't necessarily like X5-3, Mojo, 1Z, J3

so badly the dx200 is not to be in the dx200 forum he is highly praised. but I also find it good to hear the negative. I would be happy to hear if the x7ii is better and has no bugs and warmer sounds I am looking for a dap which harmonizes well with hip hop / rap / pop

I would like to hear both myself, only is far and wide no shop in my vicinity

About this, without hearing x7mkii, I can't confirm how it compares, but DX200 is really neutral by default, a detail revealer with tons of musicality. If you want something smooth / warm, maybe X7 + AM02, or X5-3, or 1Z, which are warm DAPs might be better. DX200 might get a bit warmer with AM02 for it, but it still is really neutral, and this is something I honestly love and enjoy :gs1000smile:

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #1,470 of 6,207
The DX200 is a hot piece of over priced hype. I had it with X7ii and sold the DX200 ....

Lol. You should get another DX200 and try with Amp3. That combo I find sublime with the IEM's I possess. I generally like your reviews but I think your assessment on this one is somewhat off although it is indeed YOUR opinion. I plan to buy FiiO X7ii when it becomes easier to do so to see/hear for myself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back