FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Sep 2, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #1,367 of 6,207
Sep 2, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #1,368 of 6,207
I confirm that Neutron rocks. No match with the FiiO app... Guys, try Neutron and let me know your opinion!
The setup is fine, no sharp edges on high freqs, bass is present even if I don't hear the punch of the X5iii. The X7ii output power in SE is clearly lower than the X5iii.
The sound is very balanced, I think it is a pro.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #1,369 of 6,207
Anyway I'm using Neutron Music Player, a step ahead if compared to the stock FiiO Music application.
@FiiO : is possibile to delete ES File Explorer as default app on the system image? I think is much better to leave the user to choose his favourite file explorer app, thanks!
Dear friend,

You still prefer keeping the ES file Explorer? Or you can uninstall it directly instead.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 2, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #1,370 of 6,207
Days ago I had the FiiO X5 iii and today the X7ii.
The difference are not day and night, but clearly the X5iii has a warmer sound, sometimes the high freqs are very sharp, for me fatiguing. The X7ii is more natural to my hears, not clinical, not dry but not so warm as the little brother X5iii. I think X5iii has much punch on the bass, the X7ii does not have this character. Anyway I will update my impressions!
Eq the sharp out and its free.

Sep 2, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #1,371 of 6,207
I confirm that Neutron rocks. No match with the FiiO app... Guys, try Neutron and let me know your opinion!
The setup is fine, no sharp edges on high freqs, bass is present even if I don't hear the punch of the X5iii. The X7ii output power in SE is clearly lower than the X5iii.
The sound is very balanced, I think it is a pro.
Onkyo app soundwise is better.

Sep 2, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #1,372 of 6,207
Eq the sharp out and its free.
Yes, it could be an option to avoid the sharp highs, but I think that X5iii has a different sound signature. I prefer the X7ii without equalizing at all.

Update: I just checked the OTG and it's working properly (in the picture you see a microsd adapter with double microusb and usb-A connectors).

IMG_20170902_180629.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #1,373 of 6,207
I just installed the AM5 amp module on the X7 MKII and I'm pleased to say my IE800's now sound like their old selves. The AM3A module just didn't drive them properly to my ears but the AM5 module has no such issues. Also, the X7 MKII retains it musical goodness with it. I'm happy with the AM5 and IE800 pairing with X7 MKII.

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #1,376 of 6,207
Sep 2, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #1,377 of 6,207
About 9-10 hours SE, and 7-8 hours balanced. Depends on the load and the volume obviously.

I wonder if when making those tests, we should generally allow for 10-20% screen on time, and set the volume at 70%-80%, to make sure that most people will get an even better time than in the results, assuming that most people will use their units under those conditions.

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #1,378 of 6,207
It depends on use George. Typically I have the screen off most of the time. I tend to disengage wireless and Bluetooth, have my library on shuffle, and if a track comes up I don't want to listen to, I use the hardware buttons to skip it. But yeah - I should have mentioned that in my reply.

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #1,379 of 6,207
I was also a Mojo user, but I don't have the same opinion on the Mojo.

Back then when it was introduced, It was one of the better external DAC/AMP but things have moved with new DAPs with better sound quality. So I don't think it is the same situation anymore. It is more of preference now and not better, though with inconvenience of additional cables and connectors.

I don't miss my Mojo after selling off.

I picked up a Mojo last year, as I got £50 off, and intended to use it with an X5 Mk2. But then put off buying the Fiio because I found out the Mk3 was coming out. Then with other prorities I only recently got back around to buying one, to find that there is an X7 Mk2. Although I know it won't be quite as good as a Mojo, the convenience of an all-in-one unit appeals to me. So it makes sense to sell the Mojo, which will hopefully cover around half the cost of the X7 Mk2.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #1,380 of 6,207
It depends on use George. Typically I have the screen off most of the time. I tend to disengage wireless and Bluetooth, have my library on shuffle, and if a track comes up I don't want to listen to, I use the hardware buttons to skip it. But yeah - I should have mentioned that in my reply.

That is similar to my typical usage, maybe except that I do have at least 10% screen on time because instead of shuffle, I typically browse my libraries after about each song. Also using hardware buttons, if browsing an album or shuffling.

Knowing your measurements in general, I do expect most people to get the same, if not better times than you say, so no worries there :smile_phones:

One thing that we can't plan ahead for is a user's typical idle time. FiiO has that idle with very little power consumption thing, but most users might mix some idle time as well, sometimes they'll forget that it also consumes battery, and it leads to lower times. Happened to a close friend, he left his DAP in idle a few times and always asked me how I'm getting the times I'm getting, it took us a while to track this :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back