FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Jul 26, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #4,786 of 6,207
that it really helps if reviewers list songs they used and what parts sound good on each DAP

Knowing what sounds good on a particular peace of dap/dac is kind of the most important part for us consumers

Well, looks like I need to share a bit of my views on this topic. It's my subjective opinion, unlike some others, I don't pretend being the one and only "right reviewer".

With every single new piece of gear I'm spending about 3-7 days of "regular life", listening to really different music, in this case I can't list particular tracks, as there are too many of them. But after this time I've got sort of "rough impressions" about general sounding of this gadget. Main thing here is to use really familiar DAP if I'm testing IEMs/headphones, or some well-known for me IEMs for DAP tests, so I can distinguish what is bought by which part of setup.

After that, I'm making some comparisons. Usually, I'm trying to do blind A/B tests, or at least direct comparisons, as "by memory" comparisons it's just a way to deceive oneself as well as audience. I'm usually repeat this sessions few times at different time, as our sound perception differs a lot in the morning, at the evening, when we are tired, etc. Even things like weather can impact that.

During that comparisons I usually use test CD's material as it's well recorded and pretty well known. Most often it's Chesky's Ultimate Headphones Disc and Focal JMLab CDs, sometimes some other. I don't see much reason in mentioning them in particular, as they are pretty well-known. After that I got pretty full perspective of item's sound.

So, returning back to naming some parts that I like. I'm usually trying to avoid that, because in my opinion it gives nothing useful. Some quick example, let's take some really complex metal track

Well, for such material I usually prefer some more or less neutral multi-BA IEMs, I like maximum resolution, with great layering, aggressive guitars, etc. So, most probably I'll mention this during review of something like CA Andromeda: "perfect separation of every single instrument, great cymbals with perfect attacks, nice level of aggression…"
But my good friend from local audiophile community prefer bassy representation of such music, and he told me once "how can you write about perfect instruments separation, if I almost can't hear bass?", for him my description won't be true and would be obscuring, as he'll prefer CA Atlas or, at least, Noble Django
Also I got a friend who can't stand such music at all, and for him, only classical music and sometimes jazz can be used for testing: "what realism you can expect from that awful noise?"
And there is pretty popular local reviewer with opposite opinion: "jazz is too simple to be used as test material, only some metal can be used!"

Another example, pretty subjective for me, it's Dire Straights. They are perfect for testing, but I can't use them in this manner, as I simply love them with almost every gear, they sound perfect for me with every single setup (besides really awful ones). So, I can add to every review some info how do I like them with this gear, but it's just gives info aobut music, not about gear in this case.

Audio reviews are really controversial, as they are always subjective. Almost nothing objective can't be said about every piece of equipment (besides specs like size or weight). So, for me, that "songs description" is a way to hide this fact, because it looks "more objective". Moreover, it this case subjective preferences of reviewer regarding sound are multiplied by his (or hers, probably) subjective preferences in music. While it's still a subjective thing.

And moreover, there is a reviewers' bias. If you respect some reviewer and he said about some gear some fact (to bassy, not resolving, etc.) there is high probability that your brain will "tune" what your hear in this way. Unfortunately, psychoacoustics impacts us more then we used to think.

So, to summarise all of above (probably FiiO's X7 thread isn't proper place for it), I think that "per song" descriptions aren't really helpful. Of course, it's my subjective opinion and I won't do a hate video cursing other reviewers who don't agree with me.

P.S. In my Russian text reviews I'm usually including 3 tracks that I liked with particular piece of gear, but it's not an indicator of sound quality or performance, but more a way for me and readers to discover some new music, as in this case I'm trying to find something I haven't heard before.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #4,788 of 6,207
Well, looks like I need to share a bit of my views on this topic. It's my subjective opinion, unlike some others, I don't pretend being the one and only "right reviewer".

With every single new piece of gear I'm spending about 3-7 days of "regular life", listening to really different music, in this case I can't list particular tracks, as there are too many of them. But after this time I've got sort of "rough impressions" about general sounding of this gadget. Main thing here is to use really familiar DAP if I'm testing IEMs/headphones, or some well-known for me IEMs for DAP tests, so I can distinguish what is bought by which part of setup.

After that, I'm making some comparisons. Usually, I'm trying to do blind A/B tests, or at least direct comparisons, as "by memory" comparisons it's just a way to deceive oneself as well as audience. I'm usually repeat this sessions few times at different time, as our sound perception differs a lot in the morning, at the evening, when we are tired, etc. Even things like weather can impact that.

During that comparisons I usually use test CD's material as it's well recorded and pretty well known. Most often it's Chesky's Ultimate Headphones Disc and Focal JMLab CDs, sometimes some other. I don't see much reason in mentioning them in particular, as they are pretty well-known. After that I got pretty full perspective of item's sound.

So, returning back to naming some parts that I like. I'm usually trying to avoid that, because in my opinion it gives nothing useful. Some quick example, let's take some really complex metal track

Well, for such material I usually prefer some more or less neutral multi-BA IEMs, I like maximum resolution, with great layering, aggressive guitars, etc. So, most probably I'll mention this during review of something like CA Andromeda: "perfect separation of every single instrument, great cymbals with perfect attacks, nice level of aggression…"
But my good friend from local audiophile community prefer bassy representation of such music, and he told me once "how can you write about perfect instruments separation, if I almost can't hear bass?", for him my description won't be true and would be obscuring, as he'll prefer CA Atlas or, at least, Noble Django
Also I got a friend who can't stand such music at all, and for him, only classical music and sometimes jazz can be used for testing: "what realism you can expect from that awful noise?"
And there is pretty popular local reviewer with opposite opinion: "jazz is too simple to be used as test material, only some metal can be used!"

Another example, pretty subjective for me, it's Dire Straights. They are perfect for testing, but I can't use them in this manner, as I simply love them with almost every gear, they sound perfect for me with every single setup (besides really awful ones). So, I can add to every review some info how do I like them with this gear, but it's just gives info aobut music, not about gear in this case.

Audio reviews are really controversial, as they are always subjective. Almost nothing objective can't be said about every piece of equipment (besides specs like size or weight). So, for me, that "songs description" is a way to hide this fact, because it looks "more objective". Moreover, it this case subjective preferences of reviewer regarding sound are multiplied by his (or hers, probably) subjective preferences in music. While it's still a subjective thing.

And moreover, there is a reviewers' bias. If you respect some reviewer and he said about some gear some fact (to bassy, not resolving, etc.) there is high probability that your brain will "tune" what your hear in this way. Unfortunately, psychoacoustics impacts us more then we used to think.

So, to summarise all of above (probably FiiO's X7 thread isn't proper place for it), I think that "per song" descriptions aren't really helpful. Of course, it's my subjective opinion and I won't do a hate video cursing other reviewers who don't agree with me.

P.S. In my Russian text reviews I'm usually including 3 tracks that I liked with particular piece of gear, but it's not an indicator of sound quality or performance, but more a way for me and readers to discover some new music, as in this case I'm trying to find something I haven't heard before.

I was not trying to imply anything and your are doing a very good job. Your comparisons do really help.
That was just my opinion and I apologize if it offended you anyway.

If I get a chance to try and decide between two DAPs, I use the music I listened to more than 100 times, that way I can find the differences better.
For example, most reviewers say a product is the best out there, it doesn't make sense to me if I don't like it. The best thing is "listen to yourself and decide".
But the issue is some of us don't get a chance like that and we depend on reviews and impressions and buy what we feel closer to our taste.

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #4,789 of 6,207
I was not trying to imply anything and your are doing a very good job. Your comparisons do really help.
That was just my opinion and I apologize if it offended you anyway.

oh, don't worry, I wasn't offended, I just used a chance to share my opinion about this topic

But the issue is some of us don't get a chance like that and we depend on reviews and impressions and buy what we feel closer to our taste
I totally understand that, if you think that more specific examples of music can help in this, I'll try to think how to combine that with my approach… Not sure I'll come to some good idea, but at least I can try :)

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #4,790 of 6,207
Absolutely loving it...... I feel like after a few years slowly upgrading, I'm just about there!!!

*Edit* Lol would be better if the picture was there!!

Attachments

• D97F3E1F-DCD9-498D-A05B-779F5352E788.jpeg
    D97F3E1F-DCD9-498D-A05B-779F5352E788.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #4,792 of 6,207
Hi all,

Been lurking for a while and i've finally ordered myself the Fiio X7ii to replace my note 8/dragonfly red combo for my commute. Anyone recommend a belt clip holder like you get for phones that'll fit the device and preferably be able to take it out without having to disconnect the headphones( horizontal is preffered). I've ordered a few cases but the Fiio may be a little big for them. Any belt clip suggestions are welcome or rather share the way you carry your device on your commute i'm interested in options.

Thanks in advance

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #4,793 of 6,207
Hi all,

Been lurking for a while and i've finally ordered myself the Fiio X7ii to replace my note 8/dragonfly red combo for my commute. Anyone recommend a belt clip holder like you get for phones that'll fit the device and preferably be able to take it out without having to disconnect the headphones( horizontal is preffered). I've ordered a few cases but the Fiio may be a little big for them. Any belt clip suggestions are welcome or rather share the way you carry your device on your commute i'm interested in options.

Thanks in advance
Great question! I' like to find out such carry solution as well. I've lost my Fiio X7ii recently because it was in my pocket.

Aug 5, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #4,794 of 6,207
Great question! I' like to find out such carry solution as well. I've lost my Fiio X7ii recently because it was in my pocket.

Don't use belt clips if you don't want your DAP to be gone quicker than you can count it :)

Use something reliable

I have been using this for 3 years now. It is a small man pouch / side bag made to store music players. You can find this at H&M and similar stores, costs about 10 USD or so

IMG_20170428_133537.jpg

IMG_20170428_133846.jpg

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #4,795 of 6,207
Just made a purchase on Ali three days ago and received Fiio x7 ii today.... Great sounding device, but ... They have forgotten to insert SD card trays into my unit although it has been properly sealed Wrote to fiio support and to their official shop. For now I am limited to internal memory... A little frustrated.

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #4,796 of 6,207
Just made a purchase on Ali three days ago and received Fiio x7 ii today.... Great sounding device, but ... They have forgotten to insert SD card trays into my unit although it has been properly sealed Wrote to fiio support and to their official shop. For now I am limited to internal memory... A little frustrated.

Oh wow, that is something pretty serious, better contact FiiO to have it fixed :confounded:

Aug 7, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #4,797 of 6,207
Actually I have contacted them on Ali, no response, on support@fiio.net - no response. Will try to write PM here to James.

Aug 7, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #4,798 of 6,207
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 7, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #4,799 of 6,207
Answered in PM thanks for contact

Users who are viewing this thread

Back