FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Dec 8, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #3,256 of 6,207
Do they actually do a very lengthy test with all the devices they produce? And I can't explain sibilance disappearing through psycho-accoustics.

As far as I know they do - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fiio-factory-tour-2016.812274/

You'd be surprised at the filter our brains can put on things. For a start, our audio memory is very fleeting, and we can completely ignore some things when we are listening for something else. If you have time, you might find the first 10-15 minutes of this video well worth watching:

Dec 8, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #3,257 of 6,207
Hello hello everyone,

Recently purchased the X7 ii and couldn't be happier with the unit so far. I'm by no means an audiophile but do appreciate clean sound and have been wanting a DAP for a while to take my music collection on the go for business trips.

I'm new to the world of modern DAPs (last was a first gen ipod touch) and have been more than impressed with the clarity of the sound that comes out of the x7. It's been a while since I've spent this time listening to my old music tracks.

My current headphones leave a lot to be desired but having a blast trying out the various combinations- balanced output on the F9's have been fun.

It'll take me a while to figure out the bells and whistles of the X7 so hoping to lean on you experts. :)

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #3,258 of 6,207
Go-to settings in audio setting u get this

Which filter u like and with which headphones ?

Can you please teach me how to use the filter setting? I’m really new to this. I’m using solely IEM currently (FAD Heaven 8 and Jh 3Xpro

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #3,259 of 6,207
As far as I know they do - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fiio-factory-tour-2016.812274/

You'd be surprised at the filter our brains can put on things. For a start, our audio memory is very fleeting, and we can completely ignore some things when we are listening for something else. If you have time, you might find the first 10-15 minutes of this video well worth watching:

That is a cool video, I have experience the placebo effect as well. Interesting how I expected my X7ii to sound amazing, but thought it sounded terrible at first.

I have a synthesizer that sounded amazing from when I first listened to it and a much more expensive analog one that I still don't like the spectrum of. I've spent hours on end creating instruments on it and was always fighting the somewhat unpleasant sounding spectrum to no avail, I never got used to it. When tweaking instruments, it often happened that I thought I was improving them, but listening to the changes the next day it turned out I actually made them sound worse.

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #3,260 of 6,207
That is a cool video, I have experience the placebo effect as well. Interesting how I expected my X7ii to sound amazing, but thought it sounded terrible at first.

I have a synthesizer that sounded amazing from when I first listened to it and a much more expensive analog one that I still don't like the spectrum of. I've spent hours on end creating instruments on it and was always fighting the somewhat unpleasant sounding spectrum to no avail, I never got used to it. When tweaking instruments, it often happened that I thought I was improving them, but listening to the changes the next day it turned out I actually made them sound worse.

Yep - more than once I've been the victim of the old tweak the EQ until its just right, and then find out its not been engaged the whole time :wink:

Humbling when you realise how much your opinion can be swayed by any piece of information. I used to measure before I listened to gear - now I always listen and take notes first. Too easy to have a look at a frequency chart, decide the way it should sound, and then let that colour your reviews.

Dec 8, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #3,261 of 6,207

LOVE these types of informative vids. It's remarkable how incredibly unreliable our senses really can be, yet we depend on them for survival.

Dec 8, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #3,262 of 6,207
LOVE these types of informative vids. It's remarkable how incredibly unreliable our senses really can be, yet we depend on them for survival.

Our senses need to adjust to context, makes sense for them to not be absolute for survival.

Say, you move from mountain to sea, you need to be able to effectively cancel the sea noise or get used to it, from a survival point of view, it is much better if the senses adjust to new stuff.

Dec 8, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #3,263 of 6,207
Our senses need to adjust to context, makes sense for them to not be absolute for survival.

Say, you move from mountain to sea, you need to be able to effectively cancel the sea noise or get used to it, from a survival point of view, it is much better if the senses adjust to new stuff.

To an extent, sure. But on the flip side, let's say that you get used to the sound of a car horn, so much so that your brain starts to tune it out, and then BLAM! you get hit by a car even though it was honking at you....oooooooor, you brain adjusts so that it's always on high alert for that sound lol. Silly analogy, I know :-D

Dec 8, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #3,265 of 6,207
To an extent, sure. But on the flip side, let's say that you get used to the sound of a car horn, so much so that your brain starts to tune it out, and then BLAM! you get hit by a car even though it was honking at you....oooooooor, you brain adjusts so that it's always on high alert for that sound lol. Silly analogy, I know :-D

That should not happen :smile_phones:

Like literally, you shouildn't get used to a car horn :gs1000smile:

Dec 8, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #3,266 of 6,207

I dunno man, I've been in driving situations where I'm left thinking "like, are you legitimately stupid or just deaf and/or blind...or all of the above? Who ties your shoelaces in the morning? Did you not hear my horn?" :-D

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #3,267 of 6,207

I lived next to train tracks and got used to the rumble of the train and the exceptionally loud horn and could sleep right through it after awhile.
On another note, I'm Absoulety loving this players sound! As for UI, I just hit shuffle with my roughly 11k songs and kick back and enjoy the great mealodies!!!

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #3,268 of 6,207
Like literally, you shouldn't get used to a car horn :gs1000smile:

The thing is, if they are constantly in the background, you will tune them out. That's the way your brain can work. Take tinnitus sufferers. High pitched ringing which is loud enough to mask low level noise (and is extremely annoying whn it plays up and becomes noticeable). But most who suffer from it will tell you they hardly hear it most of the time - that's our brains putting its filters across things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back