FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Nov 4, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #2,716 of 6,207
No, this is normal. Try another USB port.

I discovered that only some USB ports, I think that only 2.0 or only main usb ports, or only secondary. X7mkii does the same thing with my lappy's (mind you, workstation based on gaming grade components) nUSB ports, if it is on the left side, but it works flawlessly on the right side.
OK - this is the problem, you are correct. My laptop at home has only USB 3.0 & 3.1 ports, that's why it wouldn't connect. It connected without a problem to my laptop at work, which has USB 2.0 ports.

I found a solution - by using a USB extension cable I can connect to the USB 3.1 port of my laptop. I assume the extension cable has the USB 2.0 pin configuration, and that's why it works. I wonder if Fiio is aware of this issue?

I also noticed the hardware buttons (Play/Pause and skip) aren't working with the Fiio Music app, although they do work Neutron Player.

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #2,717 of 6,207
OK - this is the problem, you are correct. My laptop at home has only USB 3.0 & 3.1 ports, that's why it wouldn't connect. It connected without a problem to my laptop at work, which has USB 2.0 ports.

I found a solution - by using a USB extension cable I can connect to the USB 3.1 port of my laptop. I assume the extension cable has the USB 2.0 pin configuration, and that's why it works. I wonder if Fiio is aware of this issue?

I also noticed the hardware buttons (Play/Pause and skip) aren't working with the Fiio Music app, although they do work Neutron Player.

I have told the issue to FiiO sometime before, but I wonder if they found the reason why it makes this

@FiiO-Shadow @FiiO - seems that most USB 3.0 don't work alright. Is there a way to solve this, or it is a limitation of the CPU chip?

My lappy has only 3.0 ports, and the ones on the right work, the ones on the left don't so not all 3.0 USB ports are not working, but most of them are not working.

Can we help further debug this situation ?

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #2,718 of 6,207
no, shouldn't gain not affect line out at all? I don't understand why gain setting makes a difference when using variable volume lineout

Basically,. it l;ooks like the Line out is happening after the I/V and goes through the LPF OPA 1612, I guess that either the gain is implemented digitally before the DAC chip, or it is implemented in the I/V. I heavily doubt that it is implemented in every set of LPF modules, like both in OPA 1612, and in AD88620, and in every AMP chip.

@FiiO can tell us how the gain is implemented.

I remember that they had a few trhings to say about this, but I can't search the trhead right now.

9973049.jpeg

Nov 4, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #2,719 of 6,207

Hi @peter1480 - couldn’t avoid noticing that Schiit Mjolinir 2, may I ask (I’m curious, you know...), are you using it as a headphone amp (BAL) using a balanced XLR input from an external DAC, right? How do you like it only single ended from X7 DAC/analog line out? I’m asking just as a curiosity since my CD player has XLR outputs, never gave them a use I don’t think it would be worthy to do it now... also because I did find Focal Clear (available somewhere in Europe) and it includes a 4pin XLR cable, I think it may ship Monday or Tuesday, very excited, my 1st incursion in a TOTL (almost) over the ear HP.
Regards

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #2,720 of 6,207
Hi @peter1480 - couldn’t avoid noticing that Schiit Mjolinir 2, may I ask (I’m curious, you know...), are you using it as a headphone amp (BAL) using a balanced XLR input from an external DAC, right? How do you like it only single ended from X7 DAC/analog line out? I’m asking just as a curiosity since my CD player has XLR outputs, never gave them a use I don’t think it would be worthy to do it now... also because I did find Focal Clear (available somewhere in Europe) and it includes a 4pin XLR cable, I think it may ship Monday or Tuesday, very excited, my 1st incursion in a TOTL (almost) over the ear HP.
Regards

Yes, your right that's how its set up coaxial out of the x7ii. I think it gives a wider sound stage but most of all I like the valve sound for orchestral and jazz. I use the Naim headline SE for rock. Both balanced and SE into Meze, Audeze and Yamaha OEs.:L3000:

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #2,721 of 6,207
Do anyone know is Fiio going to release and new amp module?
Like am2a, i think fiio should give out more amp module, the old stuff seems not selling good, mostly I think it's because they are lack of 2.5mm jack

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #2,722 of 6,207
Do anyone know is Fiio going to release and new amp module?
Like am2a, i think fiio should give out more amp module, the old stuff seems not selling good, mostly I think it's because they are lack of 2.5mm jack

AM03A has a 2.5mm Jack...

I agree that it should be a priority to make more modules, just to give the customers more options. That is always a good thing.

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #2,723 of 6,207
What specific points do you want in a balanced out module that are not already covered in an existing module? Otherwise you're asking FiiO to diversify their product line, add to their production and inventory costs .... just because youw ant more modules. That doesn't make business sense.

What specific requirements do people want for a new module?

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #2,724 of 6,207
What specific points do you want in a balanced out module that are not already covered in an existing module? Otherwise you're asking FiiO to diversify their product line, add to their production and inventory costs .... just because youw ant more modules. That doesn't make business sense.

What specific requirements do people want for a new module?

I think it is diverse enough right now actually.

The only AMP module I'd probably want more is not Balanced, but SE.

I always wondered if somebody could make one that is 6.3mm (Big Jack). If that would be possible and feasible, of course. Mostly because I have a few 6.3mm cables that I always wanted to use portably, especially Ultrasone cables.

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #2,725 of 6,207
I think it is diverse enough right now actually.

The only AMP module I'd probably want more is not Balanced, but SE.

I always wondered if somebody could make one that is 6.3mm (Big Jack). If that would be possible and feasible, of course. Mostly because I have a few 6.3mm cables that I always wanted to use portably, especially Ultrasone cables.

Drop by to say hello! :D Any comments on fiio x5iii vs fiio x7 mkii?

Nov 5, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #2,726 of 6,207
AM03A has a 2.5mm Jack...

I agree that it should be a priority to make more modules, just to give the customers more options. That is always a good thing.

but maybe its time to have a 4.4mm jack ,haha
or 2.5mm module with different sound signature, I have read some china forum posts, and seeing that there was a project called am2c last year

Nov 5, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #2,727 of 6,207

FiiO X7mkii + AM03A is much better than X5-3 when it comes to sound. By a huge margin. X5-3 is extremely smooth, resulting in many sound characteristics that one might not like, and X7mkii fixes all of those quite nicely!

Also, X7mkii is one of the quickest DAPs when it comes to its firmware and UI fluidity.

Nov 5, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #2,728 of 6,207
FiiO X7mkii + AM03A is much better than X5-3 when it comes to sound. By a huge margin. X5-3 is extremely smooth, resulting in many sound characteristics that one might not like, and X7mkii fixes all of those quite nicely!

Also, X7mkii is one of the quickest DAPs when it comes to its firmware and UI fluidity.

Top line wrong - second line correct.

Much better is a very subjective term - and will depend on a person's preferences. Simply assuming they match yours is not a good idea.

X7ii is larger, longer and heavier physically, but has the ability to change amp modules to tailor both sound and also power output. For now I'll assume we are talking X7ii with the default AM3A module.
In terms of hardware other differences are that the X7ii has 64Gb onboard storage while the X5iii has only 32Gb, and the X7ii has dual band Wifi where X7ii only has single band. X7ii also has 2 Gb RAM vs X5iii 1 Gb, and George is right - this does lead to more fluidity in UI operation.

In terms of output power, X5iii's single ended power is higher than X7ii + AM3A, but X7ii + AM3A balanced power is considerably more powerful than both X5iii balanced or SE.

In terms of specs both have similar SNR, THD+N, impedance, and crosstalk measurements

Both have very similar overall features too - and most of the time whatever is developed on X5iii and X7ii is shared on both devices.

In terms of tonality, the X5iii and X7ii + AM3A are different - with the X5iii being warmer overall (you could describe it as richness of tone), where the X7ii is more linear, more neutral, and because of this can sound more detailed and clearer. In terms of actual resolution - I don't think there is a real difference - both resolve beyond the limits of human hearing.

The X5iii is also significantly cheaper.

Preference will come down to how you like your default sound. I would not say one is necessarily better than the other and definitely not "by a huge margin". I am finding myself preferring the X7ii's more linear presentation - but again it depends on what YOU prefer. For instance if you preferred the iPod Classic 5 series over the 7 series, you'd likely enjoy the X5iii more.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #2,729 of 6,207
Top line wrong - second line correct.

Much better is a very subjective term - and will depend on a person's preferences. Simply assuming they match yours is not a good idea.

X7ii is larger, longer and heavier physically, but has the ability to change amp modules to tailor both sound and also power output. For now I'll assume we are talking X7ii with the default AM3A module.
In terms of hardware other differences are that the X7ii has 64Gb onboard storage while the X5iii has only 32Gb, and the X7ii has dual band Wifi where X7ii only has single band. X7ii also has 2 Gb RAM vs X5iii 1 Gb, and George is right - this does lead to more fluidity in UI operation.

In terms of output power, X5iii's single ended power is higher than X7ii + AM3A, but X7ii + AM3A balanced power is considerably more powerful than both X5iii balanced or SE.

In terms of specs both have similar SNR, THD+N, impedance, and crosstalk measurements

Both have very similar overall features too - and most of the time whatever is developed on X5iii and X7ii is shared on both devices.

In terms of tonality, the X5iii and X7ii + AM3A are different - with the X5iii being warmer overall (you could describe it as richness of tone), where the X7ii is more linear, more neutral, and because of this can sound more detailed and clearer. In terms of actual resolution - I don't think there is a real difference - both resolve beyond the limits of human hearing.

The X5iii is also significantly cheaper.

Preference will come down to how you like your default sound.

Correct. I happen to have an idea of what Snowball is looking for, which is basically a wider soundstage than X5-3. I think x7mkii does better, at least it does for me. X5-3 isn't narrow for me, but X7mkii expands wider, at least when tested with the IEMs I have.

EDIT ::: It might be due to the more linear treble, the cymbals and air especially expand more on x7mkii.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back