FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Oct 13, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #2,461 of 6,207
Are there any kinda sibilants? I'm asking because I have quite annoying ones in the bunch SE846 + Fiio X3 II now. I moved to SE846 from a significantly darker earbud and this effect became noticeable.
I maybe the wrong guy to ask on that one. My 56 year old ears do not hear anything of that nature.
Mine are 57 they sound nice to me. minusZone, try changing the filter insert may help.

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #2,464 of 6,207
In recent days I've been listening my X7 mk ii more and more at home than at office and for some time been reading reviews and specs on possible options on a good quality over hear headphone as a self-gift for Christmas... Any suggestions/orientations to look for, besides keeping impedance low? Is this mandatory?

Don’t intend to invest on a desktop amp for now, X7 mk ii will have to do the job. The new Focal Clear and Hifiman Edition X, not disregarding completely Sennheiser HD800S look very interesting - others in the same price range?

Ps: Btw, @Dobrescu George , any further comments on X7 mk ii latest firmware compared to the original? You did mention something about preferring the 1st one ... (sq)

Regards

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #2,465 of 6,207
In recent days I've been listening my X7 mk ii more and more at home than at office and for some time been reading reviews and specs on possible options on a good quality over hear headphone as a self-gift for Christmas... Any suggestions/orientations to look for, besides keeping impedance low? Is this mandatory?

Don’t intend to invest on a desktop amp for now, X7 mk ii will have to do the job. The new Focal Clear and Hifiman Edition X, not disregarding completely Sennheiser HD800S look very interesting - others in the same price range?

Ps: Btw, @Dobrescu George , any further comments on X7 mk ii latest firmware compared to the original? You did mention something about preferring the 1st one ... (sq)

Regards

The key parameter is sensitivity. I love the HD800S, but it's a bit harder to drive and from the AM3A you'd have a bit less headroom than with something like the Utopia. I made my own balanced cable for the Utopia, but I'm not sure where you'd source a 2.5 mm balanced Utopia (or HD800S?) cable if you're not handy with a soldering iron.

P.S. IMHO, the Clear is basically the Elear with some over-priced cables thrown in.

Oct 15, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #2,467 of 6,207
Int he now playing screen, tap the little circle with 3 dots to the left fo the controls, then tap the "i" in the circle (2nd from bottom). It displays all the track info.

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #2,469 of 6,207
The key parameter is sensitivity. I love the HD800S, but it's a bit harder to drive and from the AM3A you'd have a bit less headroom than with something like the Utopia. I made my own balanced cable for the Utopia, but I'm not sure where you'd source a 2.5 mm balanced Utopia (or HD800S?) cable if you're not handy with a soldering iron.

P.S. IMHO, the Clear is basically the Elear with some over-priced cables thrown in.

Thanks! Utopia is out of my reach. I asked because manufacturers often refer impedance (low) first, as a key feature for drivability by portable players. Sensibility should ultimately express the sound pressure level for a given power value, and the lower the impedance the less effort the amp has to do to accomplish that? Well, whatever ... :wink:

I called the local representative for Focal, they should have news by the end of the month, maybe a good time to make a deal on a pair of Elears no?

And about other options on par? There are so many to look for...
:smile_phones:

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #2,470 of 6,207
Thanks! Utopia is out of my reach. I asked because manufacturers often refer impedance (low) first, as a key feature for drivability by portable players. Sensibility should ultimately express the sound pressure level for a given power value, and the lower the impedance the less effort the amp has to do to accomplish that? Well, whatever ... :wink:

I called the local representative for Focal, they should have news by the end of the month, maybe a good time to make a deal on a pair of Elears no?

And about other options on par? There are so many to look for...
:smile_phones:

I would look at sennheiser hd660s or audeze lcd 2c provided you can find them. Will save some money as well.

Oct 15, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #2,471 of 6,207
20171015_190428_001[1].jpg

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #2,472 of 6,207
I would look at sennheiser hd660s or audeze lcd 2c provided you can find them. Will save some money as well.

Hey thanks for the suggestions!

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #2,473 of 6,207

Or the HD6XX (basically the HD650 in a slightly different color)? It's currently on Massdrop for $200.

Ideally, find a dealer where you can listen for yourself. I'm lucky enough to have a dealer about an hour away that stocks pretty much everything :)

My favorite is the HD800S, but I mentioned the Utopia, just because it's easier to drive.

Oct 15, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #2,474 of 6,207
Or the HD6XX (basically the HD650 in a slightly different color)? It's currently on Massdrop for $200.

Ideally, find a dealer where you can listen for yourself. I'm lucky enough to have a dealer about an hour away that stocks pretty much everything :)

My favorite is the HD800S, but I mentioned the Utopia, just because it's easier to drive.

Thanks again. Been collecting more info, reviews and your suggestions, etc. By "specs", with a chance of being a good match for a portable device (X7 Mk II), up to the price I'm willing to go, just nearby bankruptcy... Focal Clear, Audeze LCD-X, Aeon Flow, Hifiman Edition X V2, Beyerdynamic T5P, Fostex TH900mk2, Sennheiser HD650

I'll try to audition all when possible, some of them are hard to get or have prices in Europe that are completely unleveled with US, so I may have to forget them. Two very different options (closed/open) that capture more of my attention are the Fostex and Focal. Btw, this is not a discussion about headphones, its a discussion of "headphones for X7 Mk II” and I appreciate a lot your feedback guys.

:disappointed_relieved:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back