FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Apr 7, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #17,971 of 18,020
hi guys
i just got a x7 first gen. the seller said the 3.3.0 has better soundstage, is that true? just want to get some info before i upgrade it. i saw some custom firmware online as well pretty cool. it comes with am5 module and it drives HD800S and LCD-XC easily and sounds really really good. compariable to the audio-gd 10.32 actually. maybe just because it's a new device. i got a m11 coming and we will see which one is better.

only thing i notice is sometimes if i unplug the headphone when the music is playing with the am5 and the whole thing shut off. i wonder it's firmware. probably will update firmware and see. the amp module doesn't have firmware i think.

high end audio just keep getting cheaper and cheaper.

Apr 9, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #17,972 of 18,020
hi guys
i just got a x7 first gen. the seller said the 3.3.0 has better soundstage, is that true? just want to get some info before i upgrade it. i saw some custom firmware online as well pretty cool. it comes with am5 module and it drives HD800S and LCD-XC easily and sounds really really good. compariable to the audio-gd 10.32 actually. maybe just because it's a new device. i got a m11 coming and we will see which one is better.

only thing i notice is sometimes if i unplug the headphone when the music is playing with the am5 and the whole thing shut off. i wonder it's firmware. probably will update firmware and see. the amp module doesn't have firmware i think.

high end audio just keep getting cheaper and cheaper.
Hi,

Please check whether you have turned on the power-off timer from system settings-power-off timers?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 10, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #17,973 of 18,020
Hi,

Please check whether you have turned on the power-off timer from system settings-power-off timers?

Best regards

hey thanks for the reply, so I updated the firmware to Fidelizer's 3.3.9 and now seems good. i pause music first as well then unplug no problem. i think nothing wrong with the player. so i got both a x7 and m11 now and the x7 running tidal crashes all the time and the m11 is much more advanced. feels like a cell phone speed. sound wise i have the am5 and it's got so much power all my headphones sounds pretty great and i love the sound signature. the m11 i am running 3.5mm for now i have an adapter coming for 4.4mm to XLR 4 pin. the x7 sounds better to me with the am5 vs m11 3.5mm volume at 100/120 driving a hd800s. something to look forward to for the adapter to arrive and see if the balanced from m11 can compare with am5. i don't know if it's the Fidelizer firmware made it sound good. i just learnt about that brand and i see people selling that brand's dac and amp is quite expensive

Apr 24, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #17,974 of 18,020
Another new X7 mk1 owner. Upgraded from a iBasso DX90. Currently using firmware 3.0.1. Sound quality is an upgrade from the iBasso but the sluggishness of the OS is very irritating. Tried using the Sirius XM app over wifi but it drops the signal after a few minutes of use. Also very irritating. Based on research, firmware 1.91 is considered the best for pure sound quality while the newest firmware seems to degrade the sound quite a bit. Is this more or less correct? Is the newest fidelizer firmware any better sound wise? Do the newer firmwares improve sluggishness or wifi connection? I listen to Sirius a lot and was really hope to stream it through this player. Bluetooth headphone connection sounded worse than my phone. Overall, sound quality for .flac playing is most important and I prefer a warmer sound rather than neutral. Overall, I'm somewhat disappointed so far.

Apr 28, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #17,975 of 18,020
Another new X7 mk1 owner. Upgraded from a iBasso DX90. Currently using firmware 3.0.1. Sound quality is an upgrade from the iBasso but the sluggishness of the OS is very irritating. Tried using the Sirius XM app over wifi but it drops the signal after a few minutes of use. Also very irritating. Based on research, firmware 1.91 is considered the best for pure sound quality while the newest firmware seems to degrade the sound quite a bit. Is this more or less correct? Is the newest fidelizer firmware any better sound wise? Do the newer firmwares improve sluggishness or wifi connection? I listen to Sirius a lot and was really hope to stream it through this player. Bluetooth headphone connection sounded worse than my phone. Overall, sound quality for .flac playing is most important and I prefer a warmer sound rather than neutral. Overall, I'm somewhat disappointed so far.

Hey
You can't go wrong install the latest fidelizer, so I have both the m11 and x7 got at the same time almost a month ago. The am5 came with the x7 and when I want loud I go for x7, since the balanced adapter for m11 is not here yet. I use tidal mostly on both. The x7 you must kill all other apps or else there is not enough memory to run tidal. Even that time to time there are some wifi stutter. It doesn't disconnect just lags since it's 2.4g only. Hd800s sounds better unbalanced on the x7 right now. Lcd xc about the same for both. M11 is less bright than x7. But close enough. I downloaded a memory manager for x7. From what I read if you want it run better you must root and delete some stuff. There is a guide on that. Also I wish someone can point me to a firmware for x7 which change the size of internal partition to say 16+16gb instead of 2gb for apps which is horrible. M11 has absolutely no stupid limit like that. You can fill the whole space with apps. M11 overall definitely night and day on the interface and speed. Sound quality I really can't say which is better. Both of these playerd can rival desktop set up which is pretty sweet. I paid almost the same for both 265 Canadian and 315 Canadian. The m11 deal I was lucky on ebay. The x7 still more flagship feel thsn m11. There is light sensor and rotation sensor in there. M11 doesn't have any of those. The battery life on m11 when using Bluetooth is pretty crazy long. After I got the x7 I saw it had aptx support, I didn't know that is a software thing. I thought its hardware. I didn't test too long with x7 kn Bluetooth but it's not bad, the best Bluetooth earphone I got is mw07 and it's pretty forgiving I think. I have a sony xz3 which is also very good for Bluetooth. I think the m11 sounds a little better but maybe just psychological like this whole audio hobby. I haven't turn on my audio gd 10.32 since I got these 2 players. Still have more to play with these using usb dac. Haven't test both yet. I am looking around to see I can get a deal on am3 a b c d modules. Not cheap not gonna bother. Am5 is petty awesome.

Jun 1, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #17,977 of 18,020
Guys i want to buy the X7 Mark 1 , did Fiio fix the USB-Dac function, will it work without laggs or problems for gaming,movie,music?

best regards

yeah 3.3.9 no problem with usb dac i watched a movie and no lag at all. what we need is someone to upload this 3.3.9 and fix the partition to 16gb+16gb. someone said need linux and stuff to do that but can't they just share the resultant image with us? i would actually take 32gb + 0gb and the 32gb for apps no need for music since we all have sd cards.

Jun 1, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #17,978 of 18,020
yeah 3.3.9 no problem with usb dac i watched a movie and no lag at all. what we need is someone to upload this 3.3.9 and fix the partition to 16gb+16gb. someone said need linux and stuff to do that but can't they just share the resultant image with us? i would actually take 32gb + 0gb and the 32gb for apps no need for music since we all have sd cards.

Thank you for the Respond and Information, so i can go for the fiio x7 without worrying something about it :O, i may go for fio 7x2 or ibasso dx160 im not 100% sure now, but fiio x7 1 should be good enough for me :=)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #17,979 of 18,020
Thank you for the Respond and Information, so i can go for the fiio x7 without worrying something about it :O, i may go for fio 7x2 or ibasso dx160 im not 100% sure now, but fiio x7 1 should be good enough for me :=)

yeah anything in the price range of x7, m11 type of devices doesn't make that much difference in sound. so my m11 and x7 first gen sounds about the same. x7 using am5 and m11 using balanced. the x7 goes a bit louder with hd800. but still portables are pretty cool these days to drive 300ohm easily.

Jun 9, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #17,981 of 18,020
Product Review Of FiiO Products ---From James

Chapter One: X7

Five years ago, I wrote a series of reviews for our 8 years of products. In the blink of an eye, 5 years passed and FiiO has come to the world for 13 years. From today, I would like to continue the review writing for the left 5 years starting from the X7 model.

I remembered a while ago, there was a hot topic in the HIFI field that whether players should be Androidized or not. This is kind of an interesting topic for audiophiles to talk about. But as manufacturers, our point of view is not that important. Because even if you predict that Androidization is a trend, you can still do just the opposite. This is up to different choices by manufacturers themselves. It doesn't matter whether it is right or wrong, which is just strategy matters. Certainly, following the era trend is also a strategy. But the point is that you have to be clear about your target customers and their flavors.

Therefore, the Androidization of FiiO's HIFI music player is self-evident. For a large-screen music player equipped with the Android system, not only the operating experience is much more convenient than non-Android, but also it would be a huge step in music downloading and managing with the help of WIFI and Bluetooth function within.

Since the day we released the first player X3, we had started the X7 project. After two years of research and development, we eventually managed to do it. At the Guangzhou Headphone Exposition in September 2015, we held a press conference and solemnly released FiiO's first Android-based portable HIFI music player, X7.

The release of X7 has great significance for FiiO.

1) The X7 is FiiO's first player more than 500 USD. If we view it today it is not at such a high price. However, in 2015, there were rarely a few players more than 500 USD in China. If the X7 model could successfully go into the market, the FiiO brand would move forward a big step.

2) The X7 is FiiO's first Android player. At that time, Android-based players were fairly uncommon. Unlike today, as long as you do it well, you have nothing to worry about. So the X7 was somewhat of a product to test the market. If it failed, I believe that the general Androidization of FiiO Player may be delayed for a long time.

3) The X7 is FiiO's first product with the design of an interchangeable amp module, which was designed for both personalization and playability for audiophiles. In addition, it was equipped with the high-end ES9018S DAC chip, supporting a series of designs such as the dock function. Anyway, all was for audiophiles.

It can be said that the X7 was born at the right time, which was popular among audiophiles once released and became a hit in the year of 2015 of FiiO. It had caught up with the trend of player Androidization and satisfied the restless heart of audiophiles. Besides, it was also one of the few high-end Chinese players available at the time, coming with our advantages on workmanship, music experience as well as product quality. In the end, it has obtained double honors both in the market and brand awareness.

Even today, I feel that the simple design of the X7 is still very eye-catching. The design pattern of the X7 has also laid a good foundation for our latter products. Even the FiiO Music App has acquired great benefits from it. Why FiiO could become FiiO today, the X7 could totally be a pioneer.

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 29, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #17,983 of 18,020
I tried taking the x7 apart not long ago. i have 2 of them. one has screen fog problem so i wanted to see how easy it is to take apart. i am quite experienced taking things apart. been doing it for a long time and this screen i think it's attached to the mainboard and then placed in the machined case but i just for some reason can't get the screen off from the body. after you remove the screw you can loosen the screen part but it just doesn't come off. i didn't want to force it too much so i put it back and just called it a day since battery still good and everything else works great. you can give it a try and post some images or do a youtube video lol. the batteries i also checked and looks like aliexpress is the only place you can buy these for the x7 and not cheap so i would imaging the cell quality is good. everything is from china so no point making fake batteries and what you see on aliexpress is probably the same as what was use in the x7. the original battery they put in is very good quality. both of mine were used quite a bit but batteries still decent.

Jul 19, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #17,984 of 18,020
I have 1tb Sandisk MicroSD that was working fantastically for about 8 months until a few days ago my X7 just told me to suck it and stopped working, anyone have this issue too? If not, it might be finally time to put this guy to rest and look into an astell & kern.

Jul 20, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #17,985 of 18,020
I have 1tb Sandisk MicroSD that was working fantastically for about 8 months until a few days ago my X7 just told me to suck it and stopped working, anyone have this issue too? If not, it might be finally time to put this guy to rest and look into an astell & kern.

So i have a 512gb lexar and was good as well and i had it in m11 for a while and then put back in x7 and it didn't like it. other cards are fine. i didn't try format it in the x7 yet but i think it's the android on either m11 or x7 does different things causing card problem. but could be card as well, the one i got is authentic but then the larger cards are not that reliable from what i read online. try fomat your 1tb and have fun re transfer overnight then see if works. post back if you tried that.

what i hope for is have the internal space go to 4 to 8gb that way i don't need to constantly purge cache after using spotify for a while. spotify on the x7 is sloooooow. once it starts it plays ok. but frequently ran out of memory and stuck for a minute.

the x7 is really only good for music. but it's pretty good when hooked up to pc as external dac. so not completely obsolete yet. i see some posts on jailbreak and remove a bunch of stuff to make it faster. i havent tried that yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back