FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
May 22, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #17,284 of 18,019
I agree that the lack of replaygain is annoying as it is something i expected on this (and the x1ii)

d
Dear friend,

There is a playback gain control in Viper effect. Maybe you can try this for help by now. We will try to add the replay gain function in later firmware as well.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 23, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #17,285 of 18,019
Don't think we are talking about the same thing............Jim

ReplayGain
is a proposed standard published by David Robinson in 2001 to measure the perceived loudness of audio in computer audio formats such as MP3 and Ogg Vorbis. It allows media players to normalize loudness for individual tracks or albums. This avoids the common problem of having to manually adjust volume levels between tracks when playing audio files from albums that have been mastered at different loudness levels.

Although the de facto standard is now formally known as ReplayGain,[1] it was originally known as Replay Gain and is sometimes abbreviated RG.

ReplayGain is now supported in a large number of media software and portable devices.

May 24, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #17,287 of 18,019
I checked out the X7.2 with James at the High End fair in Munich. I wrote a little something on it in today's article actually.

I love my X7 1st gen, but if the X7.2 is the form factor of the X5.3 with the sound of the X7 and usability of the amp modules, I think I'll finally be at end game. God, my wallet hurts.

Nice Article :)

May 24, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #17,289 of 18,019
X7 supports aptx HD in future update.
**it is listed on a p t x . c o m

Yes, I also saw that on the Aptx website, the X7 is listed as Aptx HD compatible. I bought the Audio Tecnica DSR9BT headphones hoping to get 24 bit audio over bluetooth with this technology in the X7, was dissapointed to learn its isnt possible. Wasn't Aptx HD supposed to be backward compatible? How do you know it will be available in a future update?

May 26, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #17,290 of 18,019
Yes, I also saw that on the Aptx website, the X7 is listed as Aptx HD compatible. I bought the Audio Tecnica DSR9BT headphones hoping to get 24 bit audio over bluetooth with this technology in the X7, was dissapointed to learn its isnt possible. Wasn't Aptx HD supposed to be backward compatible? How do you know it will be available in a future update?

Because they just added aptX support in a recent update. (it was not supported when X7 was first came up)

Since aptX official site has listed X7 as supporter on aptX HD, so logically, it should be right to assume they probably have future firmware update to suport this claim on aptX web site. (unless even the CPU manufacturer does not know its clients well).

May 26, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #17,291 of 18,019

oh, do you mean it won't support aptX codec?

By the way, do you know it is using the CPU's built in DAC for bluetooth streaming (as aptX codec is part of the CPU features).
This is why it sounds so different.

REMARK: It is just like if you have a LG V10, V20, or G5, G6 phones with DACs.
In Bluetooth mode (aptX), it uses CPU's built in DAC.

The ultimate choice for bluetooth transmission is LDAC by SONY now.

*However, we shall see how the CPU's DAC will be improved in the upcoming aptxHD codec.

May 26, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #17,292 of 18,019
oh, do you mean it won't support aptX codec?

By the way, do you know it is using the CPU's built in DAC for bluetooth streaming (as aptX codec is part of the CPU features).
This is why it sounds so different.

REMARK: It is just like if you have a LG V10, V20, or G5, G6 phones with DACs.
In Bluetooth mode (aptX), it uses CPU's built in DAC.

The ultimate choice for bluetooth transmission is LDAC by SONY now.

*However, we shall see how the CPU's DAC will be improved in the upcoming aptxHD codec.

The X7 does not have a CPU DAC (DAC=Digital to Analogue Converter). When streaming Bluetooth you are sending the decoded digital bitstream to the DAC that is built in to the Bluetooth receiving device. Don't confuse decoding FLAC, DSD, ALAC, mp3, AAC, etc., file formats to a digital bitstream with converting a digital bitstream to an analogues signal.

Essentially with Bluetooth you are bypassing the audio hardware in the X7 and using the audio hardware in the receiving Bluetooth audio device (Bluetooth headphones or other Bluetooth speaker), just like you would using a coaxial output to an external DAC, but with Bluetooth it's wireless. You can not stream an analogue signal over Bluetooth (or any other wireless standard).

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #17,293 of 18,019
The X7 does not have a CPU DAC (DAC=Digital to Analogue Converter). When streaming Bluetooth you are sending the decoded digital bitstream to the DAC that is built in to the Bluetooth receiving device. Don't confuse decoding FLAC, DSD, ALAC, mp3, AAC, etc., file formats to a digital bitstream with converting a digital bitstream to an analogues signal.

Essentially with Bluetooth you are bypassing the audio hardware in the X7 and using the audio hardware in the receiving Bluetooth audio device (Bluetooth headphones or other Bluetooth speaker), just like you would using a coaxial output to an external DAC, but with Bluetooth it's wireless. You can not stream an analogue signal over Bluetooth (or any other wireless standard).

First, aptX is developed by Qualcomm and it is a bundle with the Snapdragon 8XX series processor. Snapdragon process with aptX has builti-in DAC. period.

If X7 (and many other devices) that support bluetooth aptX codec and does not use the CPU's built in DAC, it would be stupid for the marketing department not to emphasis this.
So far, I don't see any mobile phone or DAP with aptX (or Snapdragon series CPU) that has announcements about which DAC they are using during bluetooth playback. their answers are never straight forward.
If they already have the DAC model number printed out on the booklet and advertisements, etc. Why not to tell us more about how the bluetooth works?

INFO.
aptX HD is available as part of the CSR8675 Bluetooth audio system-on-chip (SoC) platform,
aptx HD supports 48khz /24bit LPCM audio data.

With all the things I read so far about aptX codec. It is related to the CPU & its CPU's built in DAC.

After reading more facts, I have learnt that SONY's LDAC will be working closely with Google and offers full support on Android O (the next version), I shall wait for the newer model coming in late 2017 or early 2018.
It seems the LDAC technology is by an independent chipset to process the transmission, and no bundle with the CPU (since Sony does not make the CPU and won't be able to catch up on the game anyway)

*Also, I am trying to find more info about the coming aptX HD, if it is only with the bundle package of the CPU. (See the Apple vs Qualcomm lawsuit. They are fighting about some functions that Apple devices would not use but still pay the license fee)

Most important,
Will the CPU manufacturer allows the users to use the CSR chipset with other chipsets of another manufacturer? (I think it really depends on how the manufacturer makes deal with the components suppliers) * look at the Apple vs Qualcomm lawsuit now. I

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #17,294 of 18,019
First, aptX is developed by Qualcomm and it is a bundle with the Snapdragon 8XX series processor. Snapdragon process with aptX has builti-in DAC. period.

If X7 (and many other devices) that support bluetooth aptX codec and does not use the CPU's built in DAC, it would be stupid for the marketing department not to emphasis this.
So far, I don't see any mobile phone or DAP with aptX (or Snapdragon series CPU) that has announcements about which DAC they are using during bluetooth playback. their answers are never straight forward.
If they already have the DAC model number printed out on the booklet and advertisements, etc. Why not to tell us more about how the bluetooth works?

But I have read something like the AK240 menu, it reads DSD playback is disable during bluetooth transmission.
OK, so if it runs only the AK DAC chipset, why it is not possible to pick up the analogue signal after the Digital to Analogue processing, then transmit the sound via bluetooth?
This is just not make sense.

With all the things I read so far about aptX codec. It is related to the CPU & its CPU's built in DAC.

After reading more facts, I have learnt that SONY's LDAC will closely with Google Android O (the next version), I shall wait for the newer model coming in late 2017 or early 2018.
It seems the LDAC technology is by an independent chipset to process the transmission.

First I don't appreciate the tone. Period.

Second, to transmit a digital signal it must remain a digital signal. Yes, it bypasses the internal DAC because the digital bitstream is not converted to analogue before it is sent over Bluetooth, but a Bluetooth signal does not use a DAC built in to the CPU. The SoC simply decodes the file format to a digital bitstream to pass along to the DAC in the receiving Bluetooth device. This is absolutely not the same as Digital to Analogue conversion.

Good luck finding any portable audio device that transmits an analogue signal over a Bluetooth connection.

Edit: Decoding a file format is not the same as converting to analogue and this may be where the confusion comes up time and time again. Both are needed to read digital files and to hear them through our transducers.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #17,295 of 18,019
First I don't appreciate the tone. Period.

Second, to transmit a digital signal it must remain a digital signal. Yes, it bypasses the internal DAC because the digital bitstream is not converted to analogue before it is sent over Bluetooth, but a Bluetooth signal does not use a DAC built in to the CPU. The SoC simply decodes the file format to a digital bitstream to pass along to the DAC in the receiving Bluetooth device. This is absolutely not the same as Digital to Analogue conversion.

Good luck finding any portable audio device that transmits an analogue signal over a Bluetooth connection.

In the end, it is how the manufacturer makes deals with the components manufacturer.
so far, and seeing Apple vs Qualcomm lawsuit, it seems it is a bundle package deal, whether one would use the function or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back