FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
May 10, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #11,716 of 18,020
Ok, so I see quite a few users getting stuck with some issues they'd rather do without on the newest firmware, wishing to downgrade and not being able to. Also CH23 is unsure whether it's safe to perform any firmware update....

After chatting with FiiO-Shadow for a bit today, I received some bits of software that may help you guys with the problem. She said she'd like to hand out the solution on an individual needs-based basis (since it involves a lot of work handholding the user through a Chinese program for flashing the X7) but after exploring the situation myself for a bit, I've found a simple flashing program with English interface that's worked on my X7. So I'm going to go out on a limb and post the solution here.

Please note that while I've tested it to work on my X7, it's not guaranteed to work for everybody. FiiO won't be responsible if your X7 decides to blow up when being flashed with this third-party program. Although if it simply soft-bricks, I'd take the responsibility to handhold you through the official Chinese program instead :xf_eek: With that in mind, I hope not too many people flock to try this all at once, unless you have a PRESSING problem with the current 1.91 firmware.

Please note that the tools are also strictly PC-only :xf_eek: Those of you using Macs would have to borrow the use of a PC :xf_eek:

So the procedure is as follows:
1. Wipe the X7 and downgrade to FW1.73 (never released to public AFAIK) using the full image file provided--this can be done from any newer version of firmware. Note that this has the effect of a Factory Reset, all your apps will be deleted, please back up your stuff first. Internal_sd will also be wiped, unlike your usual Factory Reset. External_sd data will remain.
2. Manually update to the version of firmware desired by downloading from http://fiio.net/en/supports/37 .
3. Of course, do not accept the OTA update to FW1.91 afterwards :rolleyes:

Details of step 1:
a) Download the FW1.73 image file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xe6xwx1s9kyqt86/x7_v5_20160123-1.73Beta.rar?dl=0 . You will need a RAR extraction program to work with the file, e.g. WinRAR.
b) Download the RKBatchTool here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nt8qw4zz9pf1wzu/RKBatchTool-v1.8.rar?dl=0 . It's also a RAR file.
c) Extract the files downloaded at (a) and (b).
d) From the extracted RKBatchTool archive, go to \NEW_DriverAssitant_v4.1.1\Release_DriverAssitant and run DriverInstall.exe . Its UI should appear in English on an English lanugage PC, but just in case, the left button is "Install" and the right button is "Uninstall". Click "yes" in response to any driver installation prompts that come up, and at the end the installer should report that installation is successful.
e) Make sure that the X7 is adequately charged, then turn off the X7, hold the Vol+ button and connect the X7 to your PC via micro USB. The X7's screen should remain dark while driver installation bubbles should appear on your PC.
f) If all goes well, you can now run RKBatchTool itself: under \BatchTool , run RKBatchTool.exe. Ack, this apparently runs in Chinese by default but you can change it to English easily by clicking the lower-left button then choosing the lower option:

g) Next, click the "..." button to the upper right and in the browsing window that opens, navigate to where you'd extracted the .img file for the 1.73 firmware and select it for use:

h) Next, confirm that
(i) the program reports "Loading firmware Finished."
(ii) your X7 has successfully connected to the computer (one of the Connected Devices boxes lights up green)

If the two red-circled parts appear on your computer as shown here, you may go ahead and click "Restore" . This will wipe the X7's ROM and replace it with the 1.73 firmware.
j) Some of the normal prompts that appear are "Reset Device Success", "Download Firmware Start", "Check Firmware (...%) .

It goes without saying that during the update, do not turn off the computer and do not disconnect the X7.

k) The final prompt that should appear in the successful case is "Restore Done Success(1) Fail(0)...". At this point the X7 will restart and the language selection screen will appear. Choose your language and click the right arrow on the upper right to continue.

After that...

Right? :p

Thank you for taking the time to write this!
I'm affraid i was misunderstood in what it is i'm worried about: as i have edited parts of the system (namely, rooted my device and removed system apps, such as google play store, dialer, technical support, etc) i don't know if updating will work.
So to make sure i don't lose my settings, and no build-in backup function is available in recovery i tried to install TWRP for rk3188.

But since you said to backup everything, i hope you're about to tell me i'm wrong. Please.

May 10, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #11,717 of 18,020
Joe Bloggs, each Rockchip tool I've seen so far has bundled config.ini file, which is Unicode text file. It is enough to change the Selected parameter to 2 in the [Language] section to have them start in English. You can rar (or zip) it then and provide to non-Chinese users.

May 10, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #11,718 of 18,020
Thank you for taking the time to write this!
I'm affraid i was misunderstood in what it is i'm worried about: as i have edited parts of the system (namely, rooted my device and removed system apps, such as google play store, dialer, technical support, etc) i don't know if updating will work.
So to make sure i don't lose my settings, and no build-in backup function is available in recovery i tried to install TWRP for rk3188.

But since you said to backup everything, i hope you're about to tell me i'm wrong. Please.

Hmm, in this case I'm afraid I have to act like the computer shop idiot who receives the computer from a customer asking to upgrade the CPU and wipes his hard drive instead. :p Anyway the point is I don't know the answer to what you're asking. All I know to do is to try doing the OTA update and hope it doesn't wipe out all your settings (which it shouldn't, apart from probably removing root), and, if what you get is a soft brick, I've provided the safety net of being able to flash your X7 back to a version of stock firmware. Unfortunately that safety net doesn't include preserving any of your settings :xf_eek:

So the question is "is there anything like nandroid backup available in the stock recovery"? I'll have to defer to the experts at FiiO for that. :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 10, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #11,719 of 18,020
Joe Bloggs, each Rockchip tool I've seen so far has bundled config.ini file, which is Unicode text file. It is enough to change the Selected parameter to 2 in the [Language] section to have them start in English. You can rar (or zip) it then and provide to non-Chinese users.

Hey Lurker0, thanks for not just lurking and coming forward with this valuable piece of info! I've updated the package to run English by default but kept the language change instruction just in case :smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 10, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #11,721 of 18,020
Hmm, in this case I'm afraid I have to act like the computer shop idiot who receives the computer from a customer asking to upgrade the CPU and wipes his hard drive instead. :p Anyway the point is I don't know the answer to what you're asking. All I know to do is to try doing the OTA update and hope it doesn't wipe out all your settings (which it shouldn't, apart from probably removing root), and, if what you get is a soft brick, I've provided the safety net of being able to flash your X7 back to a version of stock firmware. Unfortunately that safety net doesn't include preserving any of your settings :xf_eek:

So the question is "is there anything like nandroid backup available in the stock recovery"? I'll have to defer to the experts at FiiO for that. :xf_eek:

I hope they'll listen to the call of an ex-fiio-er, thanks! :wink:

May 10, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #11,722 of 18,020
Dear Fiio

I just read that the new firmware may be released next month.  I sure hope its going to fix A LOT of issues.

I’ve spoken up about some of what follows, previously, yet I feel compelled to remind the team what I, and I’ll bet many others, hope are getting some attention - in no particular order of importance.

* The sorting and counting is a mess.  I kinda hate to say it here but if iTunes can do it, Fiio can do it.
It seems silly to have to re-name or number titles/files  just to try to get them in order, and in that it only works  (somewhat) in folders search.

* Support for 200G cards - I have a Sandisk (from Sandisk)  its works everywhere I try it except the X7.  I’m using Mac latest OS.

* Option to enque - I cannot fathom why it is not there!

* Unfortunately, for me, some users think the Eq is a magic place where headphones can even transform into giant bass monsters or some other flavor by simply pushing the sliders all the way up.
Distortion will probably occur when that that happens, especially with highly compressed pop music.
There is no room left. 
For that reason a variable 6 db  cut was added.

I thought the X7 was an audiophile product.  The added  6db cut is a stunt better implemented on a cheap mass market mp3 player where users know not the effects of  pushing too hard, or refuse to learn. Perhaps the option to defeat the cut will serve to keep MORE users happy.

* Most of the music I listen to is NOT highly compressed pop music where there is no shortage of volume on the X7.
Without a pre amp slider I simply cannot get to some reasonable volume with highly dynamic or very low volume level recordings. ( this isn’t necessarily an EQ issue, yet it is a great place to solve the problem or either too much gain or NOT ENOUGH. )

Right now I have the Am1, 2 ,5 AND E12 - Am trying to decide which I will keep. At times  ALL of those amps benefit when I add outside gain. The Am 2 has enough power for many headphones when the proper gain is applied. 

Of course I can use Power Amp or other players that have preamp gain. I can  easily reach the volumes I want without distortion because I apparently have at least some limited understanding how gain works, whether it is overall or specific bandwidth, its not complicated. 

(This post might get a barrage of theory on the “earsplitting levels” obtainable with the X7.
Save it please.  The amps can only put out - based on what is put in.)

So why don’t I Just use PowerAmp or some other player? Eh just look at them - The Fiio player outclasses every way I can think of - it’s just not complete yet. And I still believe the Fiio player sounds better- probably some expectation bias or placebo effect in there, but I like that player.

Poweramp is problematic on my X7 and  has a mind of its own apparently. It will randomly start playback even when I am in Pure Music mode. I didn’t think that would be possible. Also when I leave the house it will shut down because Google wants to verify my purchase again and again and again.
I tried several different installs - still problems. I cannot say where the problem lies: user, app or hardware.

* I feel that the silly preset Eq icons have no place on an audiophile player either - how about user named and defined presets? ( more than one) I have at least 6 different scenarios where this makes sense. Different ear monitor profiles, powered speakers, portable speakers, home audio etc.

* Would it ever be possible to have a long press on volume control, in screen lock, for rapid volume change? That makes soooo much sense to me. 

*Replay gain?

*I know lots of folks are having issues with streaming noises and other problems- I don’t even bother trying because the signal is so weak.

***I LOVE MY X7 - I want to love it even more! ***

May 11, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #11,727 of 18,020
@PapaThrust, i'm not entirely sure if the player is at fault with regards to your 200gb micro sd card, as for me this works just fine (formatted at the time in an X5), and the 6dB decrease in sound for equalisation is actually how a good eq is working. regarding the other issues i have nothing to add. they should be fixed.

May 11, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #11,728 of 18,020
From what I read, people have reported good results formatting 200GB cards to exFAT on a windows computer, contrary to all official instructions... :confused:

May 11, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #11,730 of 18,020
Can anyone suggest a small thin coax cable to use from the X7 into Mojo?

Cheapest you'll find and the quality is good (I use this one):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Handmade-Dyson-Audio-Fiio-DAP-DAC-HP-AMP-75-Ohm-Digital-Jumper-TRRS-TS-3-5mm-/262394526259

Expensive, but also good. Add $10 for the X3ii/X5ii/X7 source connection option:
http://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-mini-coax-digital-cable-hifiman-player.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back