FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Mar 10, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #10,261 of 18,020
Hi, I am posting because I was in the exact same place as you a few weeks ago :)

Had just upgraded my iPhone "DAP" to X7 and had to deal with that same "downside" - In my case thinking on upgrading the Ultimate Ears UE900. I was considering the SE846, Sennheiser IE800 as two interesting offers on universal IEM's but have discarded both after countless hours reading reviews and user feedback. Founded or unfounded, I discarded SE846 because many people reported the highs as "veiled" , the bass to be somewhat intrusive on mids and because its already a bit "old"; IE800 because of the cable length, not beeing replaceable, susceptive to microfonics and also some reports on the sound signature a bit heavy on bass. I was looking for known and experienced brands, trying to keep the risk low as for most options, I wouldn't be able to try before buying - I live in a tiny Island in the Atlantic :).

Two brands caught my attention, JH Audio and 64 Audio (former 1964 Ears), namely the universal Siren series and Adele Universal U10. I can tell I am VERY satisfied with my A&K Angie II (8 BA), it was a risky buy concerning fit because they are fairly big for na IEM, but they seemed to be made for my ears - they are driven very well by X7, after a few hours of burning I am listening with lower volumes (I posted about that), at around 55 for a 16/44.1 CD quality flac. Love the sound SQ, bass is user adjustable on the cable, very detailed with highs (4 drivers for highs!!!) that extend with clarity and smoothness as I've never heard before...

I am sure there are plenty of other great options, most people are lucky because they can try before buying, so if you can do it.

My 2 cents

I have JHAudio 13Pros and think it's a great match up. I suspect you'll get great performance from any of those. I wanted to chime in on the special connector for the new ones. The connector looks bulky and I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #10,262 of 18,020
I have JHAudio 13Pros and think it's a great match up. I suspect you'll get great performance from any of those. I wanted to chime in on the special connector for the new ones. The connector looks bulky and I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Hi, you're referring to the 4 pin connector to the IEM ? Its reasonably sized but doesn't feel and look bulky, merges very well in design with the IEM, adds a bit of class and high tech look

Regards

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #10,263 of 18,020
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 11, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #10,265 of 18,020
Is the SQ difference huge if your coming from an X5ii/Alo Rx amp upgrading to an X7?

It's slightly different. I have the X5ii/Rx (new IEM version) and when I reviewed the X7 I found it to be more resolving and it brought the instrument detail forward slightly compare to the X5ii/Rx stack.

For reference the treble is smoother on the X7 in the sense that the X5ii alone is more grainy and slightly exaggerated. The bass and mids are also more full on the X7 compared to the X5ii alone and the X7 presentation is more holographic, while the X5ii is flatter. The X7's DAC implementation is clearly better to my ears, but the X5ii/Rx combo is not really that bad in comparison. Without the Rx it's a larger gap in sound quality between the X5ii alone and X7. Now stack the Rx to the X7 and you have outstanding performance. I'm sure the amp modules will affect this statement by some margin.

I cover the differences in my review using the AM1 module on early firmware:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x7/reviews/14810

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #10,268 of 18,020
By the way what kind of adhesive did you use when you stack the Rx on the X7? Using a rubber might not be a good idea since it would interfere with the screen not like in the X5ii.

I like to use 3M Dual Lock (thin profile). It'll hold the weight easily and is better than Velcro IMO. By the way, the AM2 module is reported to sound pretty good so if you don't want to stack you can pick up the am2 module or wait for am3 or am4 (high power and balanced) to be released.

A couple reviews on the am2 module:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-am2-medium-power-amplifier-module-for-x7/reviews/15278

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-am2-medium-power-amplifier-module-for-x7/reviews/15446

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #10,270 of 18,020
Hey i just received my X7 :D 

So far it sounds fantastic, way better the dx90 to my ears (with same tracks and same headphones, Shure SRH 1840)
the AM1 drives my headphones pretty good (65Ohms) so the AM2 should be awesome according to the reviews!

I have one concern, the screen protection already set on the screen (after peeling the mask, i see questions coming :wink: ) grips the finger, have you had the same experience? 

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #10,271 of 18,020
I just had time today, due a little adventure, to test X7 K5, and all of them against X5II and how X7 fares against X-sabre as DAC. 

I can only say that X7 did an amazing job all through. I even plan to be getting one ASAP, because it makes ie800 shine even more, giving another layer of details. On a little side note, AM1 does have a musical and smooth signature, when compared to X5II for example. 

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #10,272 of 18,020
Mar 11, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #10,273 of 18,020

thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm intrigued by the ADEL technology. Based on the information on their site the U8 seems ideal for me at first glance. 

I did consider the U8 but didn't like (in theory) the sound signature, much heavier on bass and sub with recessed highs, when compared with U10... This is my reading of the message that 64 ears is passing with their comparometer. If you were aiming for SE846, then maybe you can reach on of these no?

I often remember a long time ago an advertisement on a car magazine that said something like this:

"Buy a Pioneer car audio TODAY, because ONE DAY you will be DEAD"
wink.gif

Regards

I do love those kind of anecdotes. I think before buying my X7 I would not have considered paying more than about £400 for a pair of earphones, but how things change in the space of a week :)

I'm going to be selling my 4R anyway and I'm also thinking of selling my HE400 as I just never use them. I very rarely listen to anything with headphones/earphones at home. So I suppose the sale of these items will help with any new purchase.

There's not much about the 64 Audio products across the interweb. I've asked some questions in the 1964 audio thread for now. I keep playing with the comparator on the 64audio site and keep changing my mind. I think ultimately the A12 is The One, but really don't want to spend that much. By comparison the 846 that I was looking at were 'only' £570. Aside from that I think the A8 may be suitable, but my fear is that the low end will overshadow the mids and highs. I mean I like a tight, controlled, deep bass, but wouldnt want it taking over the overall sound. The A4 has potential, but I have reservations about them too.

Anyway, I'm not in a rush, so going to take my time over this and weigh up all the options.

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #10,274 of 18,020
I do love those kind of anecdotes. I think before buying my X7 I would not have considered paying more than about £400 for a pair of earphones, but how things change in the space of a week :)

I'm going to be selling my 4R anyway and I'm also thinking of selling my HE400 as I just never use them. I very rarely listen to anything with headphones/earphones at home. So I suppose the sale of these items will help with any new purchase.

There's not much about the 64 Audio products across the interweb. I've asked some questions in the 1964 audio thread for now. I keep playing with the comparator on the 64audio site and keep changing my mind. I think ultimately the A12 is The One, but really don't want to spend that much. By comparison the 846 that I was looking at were 'only' £570. Aside from that I think the A8 may be suitable, but my fear is that the low end will overshadow the mids and highs. I mean I like a tight, controlled, deep bass, but wouldnt want it taking over the overall sound. The A4 has potential, but I have reservations about them too.

Anyway, I'm not in a rush, so going to take my time over this and weigh up all the options.

What about empire ears spartan?

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #10,275 of 18,020
Sorry, PapaThrust--where's this Paul you spoke with? I would love to have a word with him. Usually we are a diplomatic lot and do not take to disagreeing with representatives of other companies lightly, but in this case I don't see the harm in it--not least because Paul would seem to be contradicting official specifications data on the DT880, which lists a power handling capacity of no more than 100mW even for the DT880-250 PRO version. One should note that with a nominal sensitivity of 96dB/mW, the DT880-250 would reach an ear-splitting 116dB with 100mW input, so it's no wonder that they may start falling apart above that level...

I thought this discussion was about the K5? If regarding the X7 AM1--sure, it may not be enough for you. Still, I would look into at least setting High gain and also factory resetting the X7 after the latest 1.8 firmware update, because the update is supposed to fix the volume issue but only after a factory reset (or three)
redface.gif
Even so this issue doesn't affect the FiiO Music player...

As for the X7+K5 DAC combo, if High gain and max volume on the K5 were not loud enough for you, I would look at the computer and check whether all the volume sliders there are actually maxed out in the first place.

I also use ReplayGain to level the volume differences between recordings. To a first approximation it does this by turning down the volume of all recordings to the quietest recordings I have--yet I have no issues using the Beyer DT880-250 with the lowly FiiO E17K by itself (which would output into the DT880 power in the low two digit mW range max, though granted, it has 3 gain levels, just like the K5), let alone docked into the K5.
confused.gif

Or one could conclude that there are quiet parts to classical music that are meant to be quiet no matter how far you crank the volume knob?
confused.gif
If you disagree with that, there are various volume compressor plugins I could introduce you to
wink.gif
Not that I use them in attaining the results above

There are so many posts from different threads now where people are talking about the inadequacies of the X7's original AM1 for full sized headphones. I think this is unfair.

However, I actually have the AM2 module and it still is sub-par compared to when I strap a Cayin C5 to the X7's DAC output. This is for easy to drive headphones like Denon D5000s or EtherCs, both in the ~25ohm impedance. Sound is more closed in and congested compared to the C5 - soundstage on the AM2 is worse, bass is not as well controlled and I find it a little mid-centric. I really hope Fiio step up their game with the AM4 and make something powerful, musical and with a large soundstage that is at least on par with the Cayin C5. I find the Fiio amps generally lacking in soundstage. On paper, the C5 is 2-3x more powerful than the AM2 at 32ohms - I may be concentrating on the wrong thing but full sized headphones tend to sound better with desktop amps across the board and most desktop amps are more powerful than the AM2.

Please don't make a cheap AM4, I am willing to pay up for a real high-powered stunner! I don't want to keep strapping amps to the X7 because I know you are capable of delivering a badass amp module! Help your customer out...

Peace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back