FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Feb 8, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #9,196 of 18,020
my X7 is en-route to me!
if all goes well it should arrive by thursday, and i hope my k5 will too. (bought one from a dutch store, the other from a swiss store.)

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #9,197 of 18,020
  You can probably use your phone next to the X7 and see if you can hear any interference.

The WiFi EMI issue we have talked about so far is not tested via a cellphone. If your cellphone is running on 2G, many DAP and portable amps, except perhaps those in Class D, will pick the EMI up since it is one of the strongest source around and far stronger than a typical WiFi signal. As far as testing the WiFi EMI, the easiest way is still listening to the X7 with a pair of relatively sensitive IEM while streaming. You can generate a silence track on Audacity and stream it to X7 to listen to any noticeable increase in noise.

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #9,198 of 18,020

First of, I want to point out that there is no Class A amp in X7. both AM1 and AM2 are, as far as I know, Class AB in designed. You seems to be the only person to mention anything about X7 being Class A. Also, Class A doesn't mean it is "by design, extremely sensitive to any EM perturbation coming from any sources" when compared to Class AB. You can ONLY make that point when comparing to Class D design, and even that is not exactly "extremely" by any means. Even among all Class A and Class AB amp, there are those that are more susceptible to EMI and those that are not. The only mentioning of amp class in the past of this thread is that we are somewhat talking about Class D being almost immune to typical EMI.  But it doesn't mean all Class A and Class AB amp will always get affect by EMI. That will be a wrong assumption. You can take past FiiO's portable amps for example. most are Class AB in design and many of them has no problem with EMI. To provide further evidence that this is no an issue caused by the amp module, but of faulty WiFi module in some batch of X7, I have previously posted result of (*an unaffected by bad WiFi) X7+ AM1 measured with an audio analyzer while streaming showing no sign of any EMI issue.

As for EMI and amp module, I'll quote what James @ FiiO has posted 2 months ago (see highlight):

A lot of words and energy to say the same thing, we agree. Of course, the small packed amp cannot be pure class A, it has to be A/B (or something else...). the ADH class (exclusive to devialet) or class T (basically anything derived from class D) should be less sensitive to EMI. The wifi module is surely perfecly normal, the internal layout is IMHO the main reason. I am glad that yours is showing no EMI, as mine and some of my friend's were faulty. Showing noise when listening from streaming with over the hear headphones (and of course IEM). I have studied EMI for some time during my engineering studies, and I suggested a few ways to decouple the module from the rest to the FiiO team. But we digress...

All of this is just speculation.

my point was the this DAP is very good, but with this random problem. I would like to get feedback from FiiO, saying they have minimized the problem (at the least). But I think I will buy another one soon, trying my luck. I wanna try the DLNA feature.

In fact the last feature I would like to have is full DST support for native SACD/DSD in fiio Music.

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #9,200 of 18,020
  Was there really a volume boost with third-party apps like Spotify? I'm not really noticing it. Maybe my ears are going bad. Do I have to reinstall or something?

This is for sure still an issue. I've tried a few 3rd party aps in FW 1.8 and all need 10 - 20 extra volume notches to get the same volume as the Fiio app.

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #9,201 of 18,020
Anyone had the time to compare how IEM vs medium module sound like, when it comes to both IEMs and big cans? 

I am curious what is the hardest to drive headphone that medium module can pull off, and how the sound is with medium module + IEMs, because I want to buy a x7, but I want to use it with both my big headphones and my IEMs. (ultrasone sig dj and Ie800). 

I read the last 2 pages, but not more, I needed to take a pause to write for my project, as I am trying to get people a helping hand to install madVR (It was quite hard for me ant took 1 month and a few windows reinstalls because of bad Nvidia drivers always screwing it up, with early win10 releases)

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #9,202 of 18,020
I finally got the K5 today. It sounds good with the X7 and HD 650 so far. You can see a picture of it in the K5 thread. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #9,205 of 18,020
  Loved the PM3 - vivid and engaging.  So is the Divine :)

You sir are what we here in Canada call a **** disturber. I just ordered a set of the Divines. As much as I love my PM3, I am sick of wires so it would be nice to have a quality option to turn to. My only concern is whether or not they will play loud enough for my taste without distorting. Guess I'll know soon enough.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #9,207 of 18,020
Well I've read enough about this player to purchase it. I've bought Fiio in the past and although the UI is not at apple level (although tbh no audiophile dap is) I'm hoping the sound quality will be good enough. I'll purchase it through sonic electronix and can't beat a 60 day window for returns if I end up not liking it. I've been limiting my SE846 since I purchased it and using it with my phone so could be nice hearing the SE846 closer to what it is capable of with something better especially since I can't use my full sized setup with it.

I've had good experiences with Fiio in the past (daps, amps, etc) so no reason to doubt them now.

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #9,209 of 18,020
  I have a problem using x7 usb dac with my pc. Sound from x7 delay about 0.5 or 1 second when i watching youtube or movie. is it normal for x7?

That seems to be an issue that other people along with me have been experiencing. I hope Fiio is working on their USB driver. I also get a driver error on Windows every once in a while so I have to restart the X7. It seems to be working fine on OSX, though.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #9,210 of 18,020
  You sir are what we here in Canada call a **** disturber. I just ordered a set of the Divines. As much as I love my PM3, I am sick of wires so it would be nice to have a quality option to turn to. My only concern is whether or not they will play loud enough for my taste without distorting. Guess I'll know soon enough.

I really hope you like the sonics as much as I do.  I'm not overly crazy that they are on-ears (but slowly getting used to it), and they should really have a vertical pivoting hinge on the cups, but I'm still sold on them being the best sounding portable headphone I've heard (and that includes the Beyer T51p).

I have a problem using x7 usb dac with my pc. Sound from x7 delay about 0.5 or 1 second when i watching youtube or movie. is it normal for x7?

Yep - expect it to get better when they get the dac drivers right.  Good news is that it is software rather than hardware - so should be correctable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back