FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Feb 7, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #9,166 of 18,020

I said it before - calling AM1 the 'IEM' module is kind of a (marketing) mistake as it makes people assume it must be the best choice for IEM. It really should have been called either the standard or low power module. That being said, the mid power module is quite an improvement over the IEM module as far as overall SQ goes, and it will drive any IEM just as well, if not better.

I would say that the AM2 is more than quite an improvement. the X7AM2 is pretty much a completely different machine. People need to review the X7AM2 as the X7AM1 (IEM module) is not representative of the SQ of an X7. I see many people plugging in full sized cans (even if easy to drive) into the X7AM1 and comparing them to other DAPs which have more powerful amp modules - not really an apples to apples comparison. 

Feb 7, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #9,167 of 18,020
And i forgot to mention, I just went to Jaben today and i tried out the DX90.

The wide soundstage of the DX90 made the X1 sound FLAT. The DX90 also had a sub-bass rumble ive never heard on the X1. Instrument Separation and Layering was also much better.
Detail was pretty much the same except for the top end which had more sparkle ,air and the high hats were lovely (goodbye harsh sound).

DX90 was a much more expensive model....even the DX50 was a bigger investment (almost double the cost of an X1) the DX90 was more a competitor with the X5 and the DX50 with the X3 I'd say.
The new DX80 is allegedly better than the DX90 too. You might need to sample a few more to gauge what you like best.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #9,168 of 18,020
DX90 was a much more expensive model....even the DX50 was a bigger investment (almost double the cost of an X1) the DX90 was more a competitor with the X5 and the DX50 with the X3 I'd say.
The new DX80 is allegedly better than the DX90 too. You might need to sample a few more to gauge what you like best.

It is not better, it is different, I personally much prefer the DX90 to the DX80 but not on technicalities, rather on signature.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #9,169 of 18,020
Is anyone else having a problem installing the DAC driver on your windows 10 machine. I keep getting a message that the installation has failed. Yes, I am in DAC mode on the X7. I would very much appreciate any help.

Thanks

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #9,170 of 18,020
  got there 
bigsmile_face.gif
  , had to completely start again a couple of times ...I.E your original instructions on update &security, recovery etc. but worked in the end , thanks for your help once again.

• Is the X7 in DAC mode?

• During the installation of the driver - did you read the messages as they happened, and did each one say it was successful?  If yes - plug and replug the X7.

• If you weren't watching the messages closely - repeat all the steps again (the driver will be uninstalled and then reinstalled)

hope this helps you

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #9,171 of 18,020

First head over to here (right hand side of the page) - and download the driver, and unzip it.

Next, you'll need to disable driver checking in Win10.

Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > on right hand side click Advanced Start-Up "Restart Now"

Basically you'll get the option to reboot and change start-up settings.  When that happens choose option 7 - "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement"

Boot should be as per usual.

Next, turn the X7 on, pull down on the right hand side of the screen (assuming you are in Android mode) and tap the box that says storage so that it changes to "USB DAC"

Plug the X7 into the K5 and and turn the K5 on. You should get a screen on the X7 with a big musical note emblem and the sampel rate at the bottom.

Now go to where you put the DAC driver, run set-up, and work your way through the install.

At the end (you'll be prompted along the way that things aren't signed - but just click install anyway) once driver loads, you should see the X7 appear as an option (when you right click the volume control in Win 10 and choose playback devices.

Make the X7 default.

Plug headphones into K5

Enjoy.

sorry meant to post you this ...solved my problems with installation ..hope it helps

Feb 7, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #9,173 of 18,020
  Sure, was not rubbing, but a realisation that I might have a [somewhat] faulty unit and others not is not very uplifting. Anyways, I am an early adopter, so took the risk. But before I quit dwelling on it (and wait for FiiO investigation results :wink: ), I just wonder - given that you and few others do not report any problems, let alone with wifi and bluetooth - if X7 wifi/bluetooth hardware components are of different revisions/brands? That would be one thing to look at, maybe...

Just in case - I'll post details about the X7 I have:

Model : X7
Android version 4.4.4
Kernel version 3.0.36+ (Sun Jan 31)
Build number : FW 1.8
SN : 60030131210903
NB : W112a

Not sure if that helps - but it may do when comparing units with issues.

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #9,174 of 18,020
Hi Sean - sorry, going to be somewhat lazy - as I'm in the middle of writing a review on the K5, as well as preparing my next blog entry, and I don't really have a lot of time to set up an ABX again.

X3ii review - there is a comparison there to X1
X5ii review - there is a comparison there to X3ii
X7 review - there is a sonic comparison (short) to both X3ii and X5ii

Take each with a rather large grain of salt - they are purely my subjective opinions.

If you want a really quick summation:
  1. I really like all of the DAPs - I still use all of them frequently.  With the latest firmware upgrades, I find the X1 a lot more functional now so I often use it when I am out and about.  X3ii is still my workhorse.  I use it for all of my IEM reviews.  I probably use the X3ii more than the X5ii.  X7 is still the new kid on the block.  For home use I listen to it often.  For out an about portable - usually I'll grab the X3ii or X1 (or M3).
  2. I think they are all really close on SQ.  When you volume match and blind test (have someone else do the switching), a lot of the differences are quite minor.  In a somewhat noisy environment, you may not notice them.
  3. All are essentially flat (that's the way they measure) - and that is the way it should be.  I haven't checked out what has changed yet with X5ii's additional digital filter.  Haven't had the time yet.
  4. Diff between X3ii and X1 (besides features - and for me things like the better EQ functionality is huge, as is the power diff) - is that X3ii has a blacker background, and better imagery IMO. It gives the feel of slightly more 3D and more vivid sound.
  5. Diff between X3ii and X5ii is very minor to me. Again more power to the X5ii, dual slots for storage, better screen etc.  But for SQ - very minor slightly cleaner background.  Not a lot in it. I've always regarded (for my own preferences) the X3ii as the better value proposition.  Note - I still need to re-evaluate the changes with the new filter feature.
  6. X7 is really hard to tell.  When A/Bing the differences aren't huge.  But listen to the X7 for a while and then switch (or vice versa), and the thing that gets me is purely subjective, but it amounts to "immersion".  I can get lost in the music a little more with the X7.  At heart, I may enjoy reviewing - but I am a music lover.  The X7 has the ability to connect me tow hat i'm listening to slightly more than the other DAPs.
  7. If you're trying to make a choice - my advice is to look at the physical, look at the features, and look at the value.  Everyone talks about SQ being the be-all and end-all, and ultimately it is. But I wouldn't take the X7 out if I'm going to in a noisier environment and I needed high mobility.  Likewise I wouldn't reach for the X1 if I was going to be sitting relaxing at home.  Choose the combination of features that suits your needs - and always keep budget in mind.

Regarding some of the other things you posted (so you understand my reasoning):
  • I don't believe sources project a sound-stage. That is the domain of the headphones and also the mixing/miking of the track. It's why i tend not to comment on it in my DAP reviews.
  • I do notice whether the background is darker.  This gives what I think you call "layering" and I call imaging - the ability to hear individual instruments and their positioning.  Again - a lot of this is in the recording and heightened by the headphones.
  • As far as tonality goes over all - the X5 is (to my ears) the flattest sounding DAP Fiio released. The X3ii and X5ii both have quite a vivid quality about them.
  • Detail retrieval is good on all the Fiio DAPs.  Your impression of it will be heightened by the blackness of the background - so the X5ii and X7 will appear more detailed (but I think the reality is it is just easier to notice)
  • I don't have the E12A.  If you have one - try it.  If you don't have one, my advice would be simply to get the X3ii.  It'll save you carrying a stack, and is an incremental upgrade on features and SQ over the X1.

Hope that helps.  I could dribble on about audiophile terms, but I'm more a realist.  Please be aware though that at 48 (49 in a couple of months), my hearing isn't what it used to be - and I do have permanent tinnitus (I describe it in all my reviews) which can mask some high frequency.

Twister6 (Alex) or ClieOS would be great to get second opinions from.  They both have a lot of Fiio gear as well.

[I noticed you also mentioned about the iBasso having more sub-bass rumble.  That sounds like extra colouration to me, or perhaps the higher power output?.  If its something added that's not meant to be there, count me out - I could do that with EQ anyway]

Quote:
  Talking purely in terms of SQ.
How does the X3ii sound relative to the X1 in terms of :
Micro-Detail retrieval , Soundstage , Layering ,Separation ,Tonality ............ Things like that.

And from there how does the fiio X7 compare with the X3ii. Asking you to compare the X3ii with the X5ii would be redundant as you already said the X5ii is only a hair better overall. 

And how close would i get in terms if SQ if i get a E12A amp to stack with my X1?

And i forgot to mention, I just went to Jaben today and i tried out the DX90.

The wide soundstage of the DX90 made the X1 sound FLAT. The DX90 also had a sub-bass rumble ive never heard on the X1. Instrument Separation and Layering was also much better.
Detail was pretty much the same except for the top end which had more sparkle ,air and the high hats were lovely (goodbye harsh sound).

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #9,176 of 18,020
Have a look at any of my reviews - you'll get the idea 
wink.gif

Apparently brevity is not my strong point.

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #9,178 of 18,020
Hi guys, one question: all the music apps in X7 (spotify, etc...) use the dac chip? Just saying because the LG V10 ( phone with dac essabre I think) needs an app "Dac fix" to all the other music apps use the essabre chip to play music.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #9,179 of 18,020
Hi guys, one question: all the music apps in X7 (spotify, etc...) use the dac chip? Just saying because the LG V10 ( phone with dac essabre I think) needs an app "Dac fix" to all the other music apps use the essabre chip to play music.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

I think the apps that FiiO has whitelisted are those that get full access to the DAC, but I'm unclear if this is the case. As well an additional question of mine would be how does FiiO actually make this work? I assume that if one downloads an Android app it must be written to look for the standard audio handles that would be exposed for it. It is there that I wonder what happens. How does the app know what DAC is available and how to access it anyway? I wonder if they don't just hand off the work to the SoC on the processor. Hopefully somebody who knows about such things can chime in.

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #9,180 of 18,020
  I think the apps that FiiO has whitelisted are those that get full access to the DAC, but I'm unclear if this is the case. As well an additional question of mine would be how does FiiO actually make this work? I assume that if one downloads an Android app it must be written to look for the standard audio handles that would be exposed for it. It is there that I wonder what happens. How does the app know what DAC is available and how to access it anyway? I wonder if they don't just hand off the work to the SoC on the processor. Hopefully somebody who knows about such things can chime in.

+1

I've tried and failed to get my head around how this all works. A simple guide from someone more knowledgeable would be fantastic. I saw that better playback from third-party apps was a feature of the last X7 FW update but I don't know what actually changed. I recall a previous poster asking a specific support question regarding this and getting a somewhat confused response.

It's funny reading posts on the Head-Fi threads for the various Android based DAPs. You get one poster saying "this is a great DAP ... it's so obvious that third-party apps have full access to the high quality DAC" and a few posts later from someone else "this is a great DAP, it's just a shame that third-party apps clearly aren't accessing the high-quality DAC."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back