FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 31, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #8,026 of 18,020

Worked like a charm for me. Loved it. 

You do have to change a setting in the "audio options" (+/-, I don't have the Tour X7 anymore) to explicitly switch it from LineOut to Digital Coax out. 

I too was having trouble connecting it to a Chord Mojo for testing today. I switched the audio setting from LineOut to Digital Coax out and vice versa. Still no sound? Can someone with the X7 + Mojo setup please explain exactly how to connect? I be testing this again sat when i drop by my local audiophile shop again to compare.

Oh also discover some interesting observation today when down at my local audio shop (HiFiCentre it's called) in Vancouver. I tested the X7 with streaming over Tidal with the HiFiMan HE-400s (very comfortable cans btw) and there was NO wifi noise audible to my ears.  It is a planar with 22 ohms impedance and Sensitivity: 98dB.  But when I tested with the Bowers & Wilkins P7 and there was noticeable wifi interference noise. These are rated also 22 ohms but 111dB/V at 1kHz.  So not sure if it's due to the HiFiMan being planar cans or not but the noise was not noticeable.  

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #8,027 of 18,020
Did you use the included digital cable?

Is this cable necessary in order to connect to an external amp/dac like the Mojo? I used a coaxial cable directly from the Mojo to X7. Maybe this is why it didn't work ?

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #8,028 of 18,020

I too was having trouble connecting it to a Chord Mojo for testing today. I switched the audio setting from LineOut to Digital Coax out and vice versa. Still no sound? Can someone with the X7 + Mojo setup please explain exactly how to connect? I be testing this again sat when i drop by my local audiophile shop again to compare.

Oh also discover some interesting observation today when down at my local audio shop (HiFiCentre it's called) in Vancouver. I tested the X7 with streaming over Tidal with the HiFiMan HE-400s (very comfortable cans btw) and there was NO wifi noise audible to my ears.  It is a planar with 22 ohms impedance and Sensitivity: 98dB.  But when I tested with the Bowers & Wilkins P7 and there was noticeable wifi interference noise. These are rated also 22 ohms but 111dB/V at 1kHz.  So not sure if it's due to the HiFiMan being planar cans or not but the noise was not noticeable.  

I have tried the X7 with the Mojo and the Hugo and the red light on either turns on for the 16/44 but no sound. The screen of the X7 seems to indicate that the coax is connected  (upper right on the screen) but no dice. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #8,029 of 18,020
Is it possible to do a poll on who's keeping vs who's returning their X7? I really like it but 660 is a lot to gamble with.

I was going to ship my unit back today, but i need it to do some A B testing vs Chord Mojo on sat. So i'll delay shipping it back for a few days. 
I am able to solve the wifi noise issue on my unit with using certain headphones like the HiFiMan HE-400S, but I don't own a pair and I shouldn't lhave to go spend another 400 dollars to fix this issue myself.  I do like to use more sensitive and portable earphones/headphones as well with the X7. So that's my reasoning for returning it until they fixed the issue. I should be able to use any earphones/headphones with the X7.  It is rather silly to put on the packing "Warning, this unit is only compatible with the following headphones, earphones...."

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #8,030 of 18,020
Is this cable necessary in order to connect to an external amp/dac like the Mojo? I used a coaxial cable directly from the Mojo to X7. Maybe this is why it didn't work ?

The shared line out / coaxial out necessitates the use of the included 3.5mm to RCA adaptor, or a custom cable with the correct pin configuration.

Here is a pic of the pin configuration when using coaxial on the X3ii/X5ii/X7:

I have tried the X7 with the Mojo and the Hugo and the red light on either turns on for the 16/44 but no sound. The screen of the X7 seems to indicate that the coax is connected  (upper right on the screen) but no dice. 

Very strange... If the sampling rate light is on then it should work. The tour unit worked with the Mojo when I had both in the house.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #8,031 of 18,020
I was going to ship my unit back today, but i need it to do some A B testing vs Chord Mojo on sat. So i'll delay shipping it back for a few days. 
I am able to solve the wifi noise issue on my unit with using certain headphones like the HiFiMan HE-400S, but I don't own a pair and I should have to go spend another 400 dollars to fix this issue myself.  I do like to use more sensitive and portable earphones/headphones as well with the X7. So that's my reasoning for returning it until they fixed the issue. I should be able to use any earphones/headphones with the X7.  It is rather silly to put on the packing "Warning, this unit is only compatible with the following headphones, earphones...."

Yeah, I processed my Amazon return today. I think it'll be hard to adjust to the X5 II after using the X7.. I shall see soon.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #8,032 of 18,020
The medium powered amp module is expected to use the Muses02 opamp (same as the e12A) and I suspect it will sound very similar to the e12A if implemented well.

i hope so. I rather have an amp module attached vs an external amp stacked. That's the whole reason I sold my E18 + Samsung S3 smart phone. Want to go slimmer and more convenience.  Albeit not at the expense of SQ so really hope the other amp module options later will have equal SQ.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #8,033 of 18,020
The X7 isn't a small device. Walking around with it and an external amp attached to it is doing a bit too much in my opinion not to mention the X7 has some heft to it.

An X7 + E12a combo is as heavy as the X5 + E12a combo. No difference to me.

However, my original point was that I already have the E12a, so I wouldn't purchase another similar sounding X7 AMP module because it would be waste of money.

Plus the X7 + E12a sound is fantastic! 
k701smile.gif

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #8,034 of 18,020

But beyond speculating on how they will react and what will they do, let us let them make an official statement.
They are strangely silent. FiiO must be quick to communicate, as everything goes fast on the net.

Totally agree, FiiO needs to get out ahead of this and take this on now. I'm glad you feel the X7 has the potential. If you were to read way back in this thread that was one of my comments/concerns that the testing was incomplete and the product was being rushed to market. I got the impression that FiiO was using the limited release in the Far East as a form of testing. Regardless, there is no substitute for a well designed in-house testing process. FiiO will get it right and I'll be in the market when the X7 is re-released, hopefully with Lollipop.

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #8,035 of 18,020
The shared line out / coaxial out necessitates the use of the included 3.5mm to RCA adaptor, or a custom cable with the correct pin configuration.

Here is a pic of the pin configuration when using coaxial on the X3ii/X5ii/X7:

Very strange... If the sampling rate light is on then it should work. The tour unit worked with the Mojo when I had both in the house.

Everything is better with the tour unit! :wink:
Not sure I understand. So I have to use the included adapter and an rca cable?

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #8,036 of 18,020
  But come on, we are not talking about designing aircrafts, and I agree that FiiO will learn a lot from this. When I use the music stored in my SD the service quality given by the X7 is tremendous, the sound is gorgeous and I spend hours listening to Jazz with different headset. I use 50 % the line out output and 50% the headphone amp output. I use the line out to connect to my electrostatic amp. X7 is a great product, and has a lot of potential. I use it already as a multipurpose tool since I installed Oppo Media Controller app, I can pilot my Oppo and my whole installation through it.

(...)

But yes this is difficult for FiiO as they are stepping in the high level, so it comes with thinking about quality insurance, suppliers quality management, industrial reliability, qualification processes, V&V,...and that cost money, take time to implement and increase the time to market. It's always important in the long run and it saves a lot of money.But I do not worry, when I worked in China, I was always surprised by the capacity to evolve and progress in short cycles, FiiO will do the same.

FiiO is trying to move the lines, that's great!
X7 is one bold move at this price point I won't challenge that and it sounds amazing competing with 1K€ + devices, no doubt...

Also you're probably right they will adapt fast and build and even more amazing device... This being said we're up against the big boys here, no reason why we shouldn't hold everyone accountable to the same QA standard and right now things can improve... I am glad for the X7, I'll be even more grateful for X7 II or whatever rev number is the same SQ without the irks :p

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #8,037 of 18,020
Happy new year to all,

Interesting observation i had on x7 which was that i had been listening on low gain ever since i had it, just discovered high gain and immediately had to turn the volume down to 80, so for those who feel that the sound is polite maybe switching to high gain might solve it, at least on my uerm the sound has made quite a big difference.

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #8,038 of 18,020
Everything is better with the tour unit! :wink:
Not sure I understand. So I have to use the included adapter and an rca cable?

Yes. You can see in the pic that I have two adaptors because the Mojo has a standard 3.5mm input and the X3ii/X5ii/X7 use a non-standard shared jack with the Line Out. The problem is that usually the pins for coaxial in a 3.5mm jack are at the tip (signal) and the sleeve (ground). That would be a TS cable with one black ring.

The shared FiiO jacks have the coaxial signal on the sleeve and the ground on the third ring as illustrated in the pic I posted. The line out uses the tip and the first ring for Left stero and Right stereo signals and the ground is shared on the third ring. This is a TRRS connection configured specifically for the FiiO DAPs.

You need to use the adaptor or have a custom cable made with the appropriate wiring for FiiO DAPs. It's a pain.

Edit: I've outlined this extensively in the Mojo thread and you can also read the Mojo FAQ for more information.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #8,039 of 18,020
really isn't that much pain if you just know how to solder
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #8,040 of 18,020
Did you use the included digital cable?

That is what it is. I need to make up one for the X7 wired correctly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back