FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 22, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #7,411 of 18,020
  I'll just compromise with the X7. The mojo seems too expensive for something that can't be customized, and I don't really mind battery, I just want the best portability.
Later down the road we're gonna get really good amps for the X7 anyway, then a year or two after that, the X9, etc, etc.

For me here in lies the the deciding factor against the X7 at this moment in time, the modules not being available and the Firmware updates not being available now but at some unknown time in the future.
Luckily I can wait as my Mojo helps me pass the time while I wait and all for just £399
dt880smile.png

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #7,412 of 18,020
  Luckily I can wait as my Mojo helps me pass the time while I wait and all for just £399
dt880smile.png

I just realized that I need a USB OTG supported phone to use the mojo, which I don't have. So buying a phone solely for using a DAC is a silly idea, and would have me spending more money than an X7+AMP.

I'll be taking that X7. I don't know why I was asking in the first place, guess I just wanted to hear what I already knew.

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #7,413 of 18,020
What amazes me is people with high post counts saying I'm not buying that now because little billy tried it for a few minutes with different earphones and music to me but he must be right.

Little Billy is never wrong. :cool:

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #7,414 of 18,020
  Hello guys.
Did someone (like me) observed burn-in effect (LCD defect) on his X7?

If now please set brightness to maximum on desktop and after few second please go to settings.
When I do this I can see desktop icons without any problem.

This is very annoiyng and big issue because X7 almost everytime display static image.

Could you confirm this with your X7? Because I'm not sure it should be like that (poor LCD) or maybe my piece is broken and should go to RMA.

Thank you guys.

Anyone?

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #7,415 of 18,020
Almost my thoughts, but coming from the opposite angle.Having bought the Mojo first then getting the Hi-Res files, headphones.

I having tried different DAP's as needed a standalone player at times.

Considered X5ii but then got whisper of the X7, while reading this thread heard about the Onkyo DP-X1 and Pioneer XDP-100R.

Guess having the Mojo and my phone is not too bad a position to be in.

What a position to be in having a 'Mojo' as a starting point  :L3000:

Here's a question for those familiar and own the Mojo. Since the DAC chip is programmable and not off the shelf variety, does this mean that it's future proof and won't be obsolete vs newer DAP's being released in the future with off the shelf chips? Chord can reprogram and change things as needed no?

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #7,416 of 18,020
Here's a question for those familiar and own the Mojo. Since the DAC chip is programmable and not off the shelf variety, does this mean that it's future proof and won't be obsolete vs newer DAP's being released in the future with off the shelf chips? Chord can reprogram and change things as needed no?

Wrong thread.... :wink_face:

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #7,417 of 18,020
Dec 22, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #7,420 of 18,020
Perhaps we can get James or Joe to confirm the sonic improvements (or simply differences) between the different firmwares?

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #7,421 of 18,020
  Hello guys.
Did someone (like me) observed burn-in effect (LCD defect) on his X7?

If now please set brightness to maximum on desktop and after few second please go to settings.
When I do this I can see desktop icons without any problem.

This is very annoiyng and big issue because X7 almost everytime display static image.

Could you confirm this with your X7? Because I'm not sure it should be like that (poor LCD) or maybe my piece is broken and should go to RMA.

Thank you guys.

This is common in lower-end IPS displays and should not be permanent. I can confirm this but it does not bother me during normal usage and I don't notice it when I'm not looking. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #7,423 of 18,020
A very annoying issue i've noticed : when connected with a bluetooth remote control like Satechi media button, the sound of X7 is very very deteriorated. There is also sound issue I use Wifi when listening music. So X7 have Bluetooth and wifi but we can't use them without deteriorating sound quality? 

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #7,424 of 18,020
I was looking for an official thread of the Fiio X7 impressions. Since I can't find one, I would just want to post my initial thoughts here- and I might post more once I spend more time with my day-old Fiio X7.

As a backgrounder, I bought the first ever Fiio X7 unit available in Vietnam just yesterday. I hurriedly went to the shop/ distributor once it became available at their store (I broke the seal of the demo unit as well).

Well, enough of the intro. In a nutshell, the Fiio X7 is indeed an end game DAP, IMHO. Effortless detail retrieval, accuracy (perceived), instrument separation, and "robustness" of its sound is very, very good.

I auditioned this unit and compared to the shop's demo units of (1) Hifiman HM901s, (2) Cowon Plenue P1, (3) Ibasso DX80, (4) my own Sony NW ZX100 and (5) Fiio X5II, and (6) my ifi micro IDSD (connected to my Galaxy S6). I can say initially that the Fiio X7 is better than Plenue P1, the Sony NW ZX100 (by a mile), the Ibasso DX80 (by a wide margin), and the Fiio X5II (by a wide margin as welll, as it sounds thin compared with the Fiio X7). The HM901s of Hifiman is a little bit better than the Fiio X7 as it sounds more "robust" and full-sounding to my ears, but the Fiio X7 retrieves details better than the HM901s. Finally, to my surprise, the Fiio X7 sounds somewhat similar to the ifi Micro IDSD/ Galaxy S6 combo- though the bass/ low frequency is more prominent with the ifi MicroIDSD.

As I pointed-out, the above are my initial thoughts after spending 3~4 hours with the Fiio X7. And my opinion can change once I spend more time with the unit. But so far, so good!

PS. I am using Shure SE846, Senn IE800, Phonak 232, Hifiman RE600, Dunu DN2000, Senn IE80 as my portable IEMs. I haven't tested the Fiio X7 with my Hifiman HE-500, but I won't consider to test it as the bundled amp module of Fiio X7 drive may not properly drive my HE500.

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #7,425 of 18,020
A very annoying issue i've noticed : when connected with a bluetooth remote control like Satechi media button, the sound of X7 is very very deteriorated. There is also sound issue I use Wifi when listening music. So X7 have Bluetooth and wifi but we can't use them without deteriorating sound quality? 

That's because Bluetooth (not sure about wifi) has its own limitations. This is not a Fiio issue, it's a Bluetooth issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back