FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Nov 21, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #6,706 of 18,020
One aspect of spotify I really enjoy is being able to control the mobile app from the laptop. I keep my X7 in a pouch or in my pocket when am working at my laptop. I have the spotify app open on my mac and I can change and choose tracks on the mac and it controls the X7 Spotify app. As a result I barely have to turn the X7 screen on. 

If I can find a way to remotely control the stock FiiO app that will be a really cool thing. 

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #6,707 of 18,020
Less than two weeks, fellas.

My card is lubed up and ready to go.

Anyone want to recommend any decent IEM's to go with it?

I'm upgrading from an X1+CKS99 combo with an E17K amp.

I have my eye on those wooden JVC FX 850's or ATH-M03.

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #6,708 of 18,020
Jvc woodies and that BA Audio Technica are complete opposite sound signature. You came to that conclusion by reading?

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #6,710 of 18,020

X7 is just a tad bigger all around except width.

Not including streamers..

I think folks who review the X7 should try to stick with the FiiO music app as the feedback is critical. I am an Android user for a hybrid Note 4/ iFi iDSD nano rig and the apps like Poweramp, Neutron, Hiby, Onkyo are still being upgraded and developed long after initial release.

Poweramp - great front end for V4A  but interface is dated
Hiby  - awesome (best) display when playing but eq is barely visible because of color scheme and other stuff not great
Neutron - Tons of features...is it really playing back without sampling? It's not asking for USB perms....whu??
Onkyo - Best of em all but a fullscreen like Hiby would really be nice

Point is...they all need work and FiiO just released it's first android based player and excuse me but...they kinda ******* nailed it.

Needs work...why is that huge area just blank?  Fullscreen eq on rotate....anyone? Hiby like full screen after a few seconds and let the controls drop out of site...that would be nice.

Letting folks see this in action before they buy is great for the consumer. Letting the company know what you'd like is critical for the company...which is great for the company and the consumer

Feedback
2. the furnishing of data concerning the operation or output of a machine to an automatic control device or to the machine itself, so that subsequent or ongoing operations of the machine can be altered or corrected.

/2 cents

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #6,712 of 18,020

X7 is just a tad bigger all around except width.

Not including streamers..

I think folks who review the X7 should try to stick with the FiiO music app as the feedback is critical. I am an Android user for a hybrid Note 4/ iFi iDSD nano rig and the apps like Poweramp, Neutron, Hiby, Onkyo are still being upgraded and developed long after initial release.

Poweramp - great front end for V4A  but interface is dated
Hiby  - awesome (best) display when playing but eq is barely visible because of color scheme and other stuff not great
Neutron - Tons of features...is it really playing back without sampling? It's not asking for USB perms....whu??
Onkyo - Best of em all but a fullscreen like Hiby would really be nice

Point is...they all need work and FiiO just released it's first android based player and excuse me but...they kinda ******* nailed it.

Needs work...why is that huge area just blank?  Fullscreen eq on rotate....anyone? Hiby like full screen after a few seconds and let the controls drop out of site...that would be nice.

Letting folks see this in action before they buy is great for the consumer. Letting the company know what you'd like is critical for the company...which is great for the company and the consumer

Feedback
2. the furnishing of data concerning the operation or output of a machine to an automatic control device or to the machine itself, so that subsequent or ongoing operations of the machine can be altered or corrected.

/2 cents

I just realized I have been subbed to your youtube channel since way back when. Loving the videos man keep it up.

In your opinion, did line out to the E12 or the Cayin C5 help any? Did you try it with any other amps?  

Edit: I agree, FiiO really nailed the X7, very impressive effort for their first android DAP. I am listening to the X7 + VE Zen 2 and its 4:30 am and I can't seem to tear myself away from the combo! Darn you FiiO for ruining my sleep day after day! 
tongue.gif

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #6,713 of 18,020

I just realized I have been subbed to your youtube channel since way back when. Loving the videos man keep it up.

In your opinion, did line out to the E12 or the Cayin C5 help any? Did you try it with any other amps?  

Edit: I agree, FiiO really nailed the X7, very impressive effort for their first android DAP. I am listening to the X7 + VE Zen 2 and its 4:30 am and I can't seem to tear myself away from the combo! Darn you FiiO for ruining my sleep day after day! 
tongue.gif

Thanks
beerchug.gif

I have not listened with an amp. I can drive the ma900 quite well on the high gain of the X7 IEM amp though and took the X7 to a Japanese superstore today to listened to a **** ton of IEM.
Listening to a lot of my best flacs which are stuff like ELO,BTO, Allman Bros, Pink Floyd, old Aerosmith and stuff with lots of detail.

Song of the day...

The detail is just so nice.

I'm sure with an amp I could go full basshead but I am already enjoying a magic carpet ride back to the 60's and 70's
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #6,714 of 18,020

I think folks who review the X7 should try to stick with the FiiO music app as the feedback is critical. 

Agreed.

But as well as this, a lot of buyers will also want to know how well third party apps work with the unit, which is fair.

As well, running the exact software on two DAPs will give a good baseline to compare the sound between the two. 

Anyway, loving it so far. Review to come soon!

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #6,716 of 18,020
Song of the day...

The detail is just so nice.

I'm sure with an amp I could go full basshead but I am already enjoying a magic carpet ride back to the 60's and 70's:D

Listened to that LP a couple of days ago. Wouldn't get away with the sleeve cover these days :)

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #6,717 of 18,020
I think there is a quandary here because Fiio in essence created two different X7 units in the same case...

The boot mode - Fiio Music Mode and the Launcher3 Mode...

There are separate issues with either boot mode...  none of which stops the X7 from being a great player... but Fiio knows they have a pretty large project on their hands with the UI and Fiio Player development...   

The reviewers only have the X7 for 10 days and so I don't think all issues will be identified with the review units by themselves...   I think feedback will go back to Fiio and they will begin the updates as fast as they can...  but I suspect the public will be the biggest driver of changes once the X7 gets into every ones hands...  its just that the X7 has so much capability/options it would be impossible to ask the reviewers to pick up and document all of the wishes/issues...

as an example...   the Neutron app is on the apps whitelisted page...  you load it and it seems to be a very good solution for what some have mentioned they'd like to see on the X7 ..  like a volume slider, it is there on Neutron and it works..   but using Neutron I found that the volume buttons on the side only work with the volume going up... the down button does not work...  but if you use the volume slider in Neutron then you can just slide your finger up/down ...  
so is that a Fiio issue... or a Neutron issue ??   The side bottons work fine in the Fiio Music app...  

And we also have scenarios where a " Wish list " needs to be started and developed to address possible enhancements in the software..  again I'll use Neutron as an example with a couple of wishes...

the Fiio Music App does not support screen rotate...  where the Neutron does.... ( I like that portrait mode, spreads out the data on screen )
the Fiio Music App does not support song to song volume leveling...  where the Neutron does...  very nice not having to constantly adjust the volume level from song to song
Wish list - I'd like to see while in song to song mode when the next song is queued up the screen flashes the Album cover for a couple seconds...  there are many songs on my cards I have never listened to and when they start to play I'm having to turn the screen on to see the details...

This is a pretty phenomenal player.. its only going to get better and better... 

Nov 22, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #6,718 of 18,020
  This is a pretty phenomenal player.. its only going to get better and better... 

Indeed, as the conundrum with reviews so far is they’re only reviewing one facet of the X7, listening through an IEM module.  So far, that’s been terrific… but I’m awaiting the equivalent of amps available via Hifiman to hear how my most power gluttonous headphones perform once sated.

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #6,720 of 18,020
The JVC FX850's are phenomenal with my X5 gen1 and they do look fantastic.

I've heard the bass in those is bar-none, I've been loyal to Audio Technica for a long time, but I'm not afraid to experiment a little if it's as beautiful as they say (;

Suggestions for great IEM's to pair with the X7 VERY much welcome! I'm currently using CKS99's, so something like that.

I can't wait to lose my earginity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back