FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
May 5, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #3,453 of 18,020
May 6, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #3,455 of 18,020

I was able to get a 256GB PNY USB 3.0 stick (FAT formatted)  to work using OTG on the X3 gen II.  Based on that the idea of the mydigitalSD seems plausible though not tested.

Please note I had no luck with a 256 or 128GB SD card using a OTG SD adapter.

I also had no luck getting a 128gb or 256gb SD card to work using a Micro SD extender.  The model I tried was mentioned on these forums but not the one referenced above so that may be a factor.

These results were discussed in my review of the X3 gen II.

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the info.

I started some preliminary testing, but need to be a bit more diligent before I'm confident in this observation:

I tried a exFAT formatted 256GB Plextor msata SSD in my Sabrent USB 3.0 msta enclosure connected to my OTG cable connected to my X5; did not work - would not mount. I also tried connecting the same msata.USB3,0 device to my Samsung GS4 and that failed as well; the phone seemed to be in a frantic loop trying to mount the device and shut down within 30 seconds (though it had over 22% battery remaining).

I'm going to try to reformat the msata device again (I think it got corrupted by these tests) and will also try another OTG cable. At the moment, my PC will not even recognize it in Control Panel -> Disk Management.

Again, this is preliminary and I'm not confident to draw conclusions (yet).

I think OTG flash is likely a sure thing (as you observed), msata-> USB -> OTG is still TBD (though not looking too promising from where i'm sitting).

More to come....

May 6, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #3,456 of 18,020
Update: Plextor drive is ok and appears on my PC with all the expected content; not corrupt at all. I used a different OTG cable and tried again with my X5 and it did not work.When I try to access the OTG folder, the X5 states "No music found"; I know there's ~60GB of music on the SSD - identical content to what I have on my 128 GB microsdxc cards.

While I'd expect the mydigitalSSD to work, I don't know what it implements differently to succeed at OTG SSD; e.g., FAT32 instead of exFAT, lower power consumption, something else?

I'll experiment with additional variables at a more reasonable time of day and report back....

May 6, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #3,460 of 18,020
  The OTG feature will matter to some users when the unit ships.

Because we are filling dead air until we get closer to unit shipment or test tours.

Restless finger syndrome.

i think that this is far too early to be considering tours or release. It is based on Android, i know enough programming as of today, to say that Android needs a few months of de-bugging before releasing anything that runs on it. 

May 8, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #3,462 of 18,020
Maybe there are a few units out there already but the reviewers are under an NDA.

lol, there are about 20pcs are tested by ourself. don't be hurry, we will try our best and not to provide a DAPs full of bugs and it is our first DAP which based on Android. 

anyway, here is something new for you guys. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 8, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #3,463 of 18,020
I see a balanced cable with MMCX connectors. 
etysmile.gif

May 8, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #3,464 of 18,020

lol, there are about 20pcs are tested by ourself. don't be hurry, we will try our best and not to provide a DAPs full of bugs and it is our first DAP which based on Android. 

anyway, here is something new for you guys. 

No problem, the it is in all of our interest that the DAP will be ready when it is released. Android can be buggy at first, but i know that Fiio can pull it off, and create an aswesome DAP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back