FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Jul 31, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #13,501 of 18,020
Hey Guys, my X7 am3 and K5 get here Monday, I have a couple questions. First, is the Classics Online HD Classics available for streaming? Second, I picked up the K5 for my more difficult to drive headphones, would I be better off with an am5? Thanks!

Nice to see you post again mate, you've been scarce in these parts. So you went the X7 route, seems like a pretty good decision. Look forward to hearing how you enjoy it. Cheers.

Jul 31, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #13,502 of 18,020
Really bro? I'm sort of happy to read that... But makes me want the AK380cu much less. I hate to say it, but I told you the X7 is legit.
wink.gif

yes I like it alot after I got the am5, not so much with am3 due to RF interfernece, and of course not with am1

so what changed is me getting the am5

Jul 31, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #13,503 of 18,020
Jul 31, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #13,504 of 18,020
I got a custom balanced cable for my HD 650s, so I was excited to finally getting around to trying it at midnight. The problem I have is that only the right channel works. Is this a cable issue or an AM3 issue? Is there something really simple that I'm overlooking? It's plugged all the way in...

With that said, I like the way it sounds...at least out of one ear. On the SE side, it works fine with my earphones. I really wish I could jump on the balanced hype train, though.

Jul 31, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #13,505 of 18,020
Nice to see you post again mate, you've been scarce in these parts. So you went the X7 route, seems like a pretty good decision. Look forward to hearing how you enjoy it. Cheers.

Happy to be getting back into the game, we moved and I've had a couple health issues, but slowly getting up to speed.

I needed a good DAP for the review I'm doing on American made CIEMs. Thought the versatility of the x7 would be helpful, as well as rhe "reasonable" price.

Cheers!

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #13,506 of 18,020
  I got a custom balanced cable for my HD 650s, so I was excited to finally getting around to trying it at midnight. The problem I have is that only the right channel works. Is this a cable issue or an AM3 issue? Is there something really simple that I'm overlooking? It's plugged all the way in...

With that said, I like the way it sounds...at least out of one ear. On the SE side, it works fine with my earphones. I really wish I could jump on the balanced hype train, though.

I am assuming that you got a cable with a 2.5mm connector and not a 3.5mm TRRS connector - as that would mean you are plugging into the unbalanced output and that would cause exactly the problem you are experiencing. That said - I am just double-checking...

It could be either. You probably need someone with a continuity tester to ring out the cable - as that is a most likely (and easiest to diagnose) issue. If the cable rings out properly, then you need to contact FiiO.

Jul 31, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #13,507 of 18,020
Happy to be getting back into the game, we moved and I've had a couple health issues, but slowly getting up to speed.

I needed a good DAP for the review I'm doing on American made CIEMs. Thought the versatility of the x7 would be helpful, as well as rhe "reasonable" price.

Cheers!

Sorry to hear about your health issues, hopefully you are mending well. The American CIEM review would be an interesting read for sure (I liked your review on the DT1770 Pro). Have you decided what CIEMs you are reviewing?

Jul 31, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #13,508 of 18,020
Hey Guys, my X7 am3 and K5 get here Monday, I have a couple questions. First, is the Classics Online HD Classics available for streaming? Second, I picked up the K5 for my more difficult to drive headphones, would I be better off with an am5? Thanks!

Not sure about the first question, but for the second question having listened to both the K5 and the AM3, I would still give the edge to the K5 though the AM3 isn't far behind in driving difficult to drive headphones.

And unless you absolutely need the extra convenience that the K5 brings you when docked with the X7, couldn't you just use the line-out of the X7 to another, stronger amp? The K5 is good, but I think it kind of pales in comparison to the other amps you have on your profile. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #13,509 of 18,020

I am assuming that you got a cable with a 2.5mm connector and not a 3.5mm TRRS connector - as that would mean you are plugging into the unbalanced output and that would cause exactly the problem you are experiencing. That said - I am just double-checking...

It could be either. You probably need someone with a continuity tester to ring out the cable - as that is a most likely (and easiest to diagnose) issue. If the cable rings out properly, then you need to contact FiiO.

Yes, it is a 2.5mm connector. I had the person who made it look at the Fiio specifications before making it. I guess I'll have to send it in to get it fixed.

Edit: I can get sound if I bend it at the shrink. Probably gotta send it in to get it fixed anyway.

Edit 2: Going to provide some quick feedback on the sound since I can get both channels by holding the shrink at an outward angle. I like the sound. I am not sure about major bassheads, but I personally think there is enough bass with the HD 650 + AM3 balanced. I found the AM2 dark and muffled sounding with the HD 650s. I set the volume to 60 on high gain running as a DAC.

Jul 31, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #13,510 of 18,020
Sorry to hear about your health issues, hopefully you are mending well. The American CIEM review would be an interesting read for sure (I liked your review on the DT1770 Pro). Have you decided what CIEMs you are reviewing?

The lineup is Alclair's Studio4, 64 Audio's A6, InEarz's Nirvana and Perfect Seal's Decca. Now I need to pick up a balanced cable for the X7.

Thank's I appreciate your kind words, I'm looking forward to getting work at The Headphone List, I'm currently reviewing the MicroZOTL 2, iCan Pro, Dharma and the shootout.

Absolutely loving Lexington, how are things in Ottawa?

Jul 31, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #13,511 of 18,020
The lineup is Alclair's Studio4, 64 Audio's A6, InEarz's Nirvana and Perfect Seal's Decca. Now I need to pick up a balanced cable for the X7.

Thank's I appreciate your kind words, I'm looking forward to getting work at The Headphone List, I'm currently reviewing the MicroZOTL 2, iCan Pro, Dharma and the shootout.

Absolutely loving Lexington, how are things in Ottawa?

Summer in Ottawa and the surrounding region is fantastic, it is the other 9 months of the year that suck! One thing for sure, when you live in a climate where much of the year isn't so nice/downright hostile, you don't take the nice weather for granted in the slightest. We load all kinds of festivals and events into a very short time so if you want something to do every single day (much of it free or inexpensive) you will have your choice daily.

I would love to visit Lexington. I know it is a beautiful part of the US and very historic and full of culture. I favour a nice Kentucky bourbon myself (recently acquired taste). PM about the Headphone list if you have time as that sounds like an interesting thing, but I don't want to go too OT here. Cheers.

Jul 31, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #13,512 of 18,020
Not sure about the first question, but for the second question having listened to both the K5 and the AM3, I would still give the edge to the K5 though the AM3 isn't far behind in driving difficult to drive headphones.

And unless you absolutely need the extra convenience that the K5 brings you when docked with the X7, couldn't you just use the line-out of the X7 to another, stronger amp? The K5 is good, but I think it kind of pales in comparison to the other amps you have on your profile. :D

I was thinking more of having the K5 as my bedside unit and charging station. I sold my LC and the iCan Pro is to good a product to be feed by anything short of my main system. Hence the K5/X7 combo (+an amp3).

Jul 31, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #13,513 of 18,020
anyone know how the power timer works in x7. im on fw2.0

there are 2 options:
1. sleep
2. idle power off

when i set sleep to 1 minute, then after 1 min it power off.

when i set idle power off to 1 minute, after 1 min it power off.

so whats diff ? i have no idea what fiio is trying to achieve.

and if i set both to off, then the blue led light will be always on and power draining.

i coming from x5 and thus would expect x7 to have same quick power resume / deep sleep feature.

erictioh, The sleep function is that in any case the player will power off after the time you set, while the idle power off means the player will power off only after it's not been used for some time. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 31, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #13,514 of 18,020
erictioh, The sleep function is that in any case the player will power off after the time you set, while the idle power off means the player will power off only after it's not been used for some time. 

thanks. when i set both to off, the unit keep on power on (the led keep on). do you plan to implement a better idle standby like smartphone ? at least your x5ii and x3ii already did.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #13,515 of 18,020
Please kindly turn off the LED light in Settings->Display->Pulsar light.
And we are afraid that the X7 does not support deep sleep mode. It's different from the X3II & X5II on the control chip and system. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back