FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
May 12, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #11,761 of 18,020
Here is Sandisk Reply

"I appreciate your continued response. SanDisk manufactured the Ultra Plus 200 GB microSD cards for a very short time and in a very small batch, so there are only a few units available in the retail markets. Primarily, SanDisk manufactures the 200 GB card in the Ultra variant only. Please reply to this email should you require further assistance. We are glad to help!"

Maybe that is a problem- why the small batch - why did they stop?

Probably no demand?

May 12, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #11,762 of 18,020
Hi All

I've got a FiiO X5 2nd Gen and Fidue A83 IEM's. I'm thinking of getting a X7 with the AM1 module, as you won't be able to choose what module you get for a while yet. Nice move FiiO!

My question is, apart from Bluetooth and WI-FI, what sonic improvements could I look forward to? Or should I wait until I can purchase the X7 with my choice of amp module?

Regards

Darren

May 12, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #11,763 of 18,020

Here is Sandisk Reply

"I appreciate your continued response. SanDisk manufactured the Ultra Plus 200 GB microSD cards for a very short time and in a very small batch, so there are only a few units available in the retail markets. Primarily, SanDisk manufactures the 200 GB card in the Ultra variant only. Please reply to this email should you require further assistance. We are glad to help!"

Maybe that is a problem- why the small batch - why did they stop?

I don't know what Sandisk consider a small batch. Both my cards are Ultra Plus and they were bought a number of months apart, both from Amazon. On the second order I had to wait a few weeks for new stock to come in.

May 12, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #11,764 of 18,020

I don't know what Sandisk consider a small batch. Both my cards are Ultra Plus and they were bought a number of months apart, both from Amazon. On the second order I had to wait a few weeks for new stock to come in.

There a 3 questions I like to ask:

Are your cards working in the X7?
Are you using MBP?
How are they formatted? 

May 12, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #11,765 of 18,020
  In order to properly use the AM5 do I need to upgrade to the newest firmware?   If so, if I am not using equalization will I have any problems with the firmware?   I have primarily been running my X7 in pure music mode and occasionally using the bluetooth connectivity.   

I'm just trying to make sure I don't cause myself a problem by updating to the latest firmware to use the AM5.

Thanks
Mike

If you are not using EQ + Bluetooth, then that solves that problem.

Some of us had a problem with the USB Storage/DAC toggle switch not working--which meant neither worked--solved by unmounting the SD card and remounting it. I'm not remembering if that was related to FW 1.91 or not, but it must have been since that was when the problem started.

There might have been other issues that I don't recall or am not aware of, but those are the ones that affected me. FiiO specifically referred to the EQ + BT in FiiO music when issuing the statement about the new update coming next month.

Thanks for looking into that.

I just had Sandisk on the line and yet again they assured the card is legit. (With photos such as I posted here)

Also Amazon was the seller and Sandisk supplies Amazon - there was no 3rd party. 

Beside their verification - I never did hear of a fake card that actually performed exactly as the original, with proper speed & memory.
It's only in the X7 I am having problems with this card.

I'm stumped

I have a SanDisk Ultra Plus 200GB from Amazon--bought the last week of December with my X7. It works fine.

May 12, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #11,766 of 18,020

If you are not using EQ + Bluetooth, then that solves that problem.

Some of us had a problem with the USB/DAC toggle switch not working--which meant neither worked--solved by unmounting the SD card and remounting it. I'm not remembering if that was related to FW 1.91 or not, but it must have been since that was when the problem started.

There might have been other issues that I don't recall or am not aware of, but those are the ones that affected me. FiiO specifically referred to the EQ + BT in FiiO music when issuing the statement about the new update coming next month.

I have a SanDisk Ultra Plus 200GB from Amazon--bought the last week of December with my X7. It works fine.

Are younusing mac book pro?
 How did you format?

May 12, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #11,768 of 18,020
It formatted automatically when I inserted it into the brand new X7. I couldn't figure it out--why I didn't have to do anything to format it. It was magic or something.

Are you sure X7 formated it or was it already pre-formated? I ask since this is more probable than the magic hypothesis :)

My 128gb kingston came formated with exFat, I didn't touch it with X7 and its OK - my Sandisk 200gb was formated on X7 (FAT32) and gave me problems, reformatted in PC with exFat and now its OK too

Regards

May 12, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #11,769 of 18,020
Quoting from the Technical Support app under "Quick Start Guide":

1, "Recommended using genuine (Sadisk [sic]...etc.) micro SD cards of class 10 speed or above.

3. Recommend inserting into X7 and formatting the micro SD card using the X7.

...and that's all she wrote! I can't find any other reference to formatting the card in the X7, so I guess it just happens?? I have always been curious about that, unless someone can tell me what I'm missing.

May 12, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #11,770 of 18,020
Are you sure X7 formated it or was it already pre-formated? I ask since this is more probable than the magic hypothesis
smily_headphones1.gif

It went from the standard Sandisk sealed blister pack directly into the X7.

May 12, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #11,771 of 18,020
To format on X7 you have to go to storage in settings, scroll down to external storage and choose "erase card" ... More or less this

May 12, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #11,772 of 18,020
i also bought a genuine 200gb ultra micro sd card from amazon last month and reformatted it before use to exfat, loaded roughly over 2200 music files on it and have not experience any problems with it inserted and playing all my music on my astell & kern AK380cu. i will be also purchasing another as a back-up whenever it goes on sale for $59.99 again. 

May 12, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #11,774 of 18,020
So still I ask Fiio to add support for 200 GB cards 

It seems for some is okay but not all.
One thing is certain - I'm not going out to get a PC just so I can load a 200 gb card.

I can load any other card in the X7 - format it and bingo!
So I consider it lack of support that there is no clear path as of yet with MBP and X7 with 200 GB

32, 64 & 128  cards that I have all work fine...200 gb cards are mainstream now.

May 12, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #11,775 of 18,020

There a 3 questions I like to ask:

Are your cards working in the X7?
Are you using MBP?
How are they formatted? 

While the first card was bought to use in an X7, I never tried it as I returned the player due to its inability to store streaming app offline content to the card.

I subsequently bought an Onkyo DP-X1 and use the two cards in that. They work fine on that player loaded from MBP and without any reformatting in the device.

There is a problem on the Onkyo (and its sister Pioneer DAP) whereby offline TIDAL content 'glitches' on playback. It has been suggested that this may be due to read errors from the memory card and further suggested that Sandisk cards are most affected. I think it is more likely that Sandisk is the most common brand used and therefore appears to be more affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back