FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Mar 13, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #10,322 of 18,020

I tried to to go back to firmware 1.5 because of the crippled output in 1.8 EQ and I asked Joe if he could advise - this is what he said: 

"I'm afraid that it seems that X7 firmware updates, unlike previous X player updates, are irreversible. This appears to be the case also, with all the Android smartphones I've used. Perhaps it's just the nature of Android."

I've tried many things but cannot reverse the firmware.

which is exactly why i want the full image, instead of OTA updates (install vs incremental update)
i'm going to try flash another recovery (one that supports making full system backups, called TWRP) and see if it is possible to downgrade/sidegrade/upgrade to other roms, etcetera)
  The imbalance with my right channel does not disappear even after making sure the 3.5mm plug is pushed in fully, turning it around and around etc.

As far as I can tell user RebeccaSugar was the first to report this. Now we have two more cases.

I will send the module in for repair or replacement. It's not an issue I want persisting because initially i thought there was a problem with my hearing!

i had it too, but so far have not reported it (i suppose now i did)
I turn the volume all the way then lower it, it seems to fix it temporarily.

Until I plug in the charger, then it does it again.

strange.
Also, Joe, I have no warranty.

I'm going to have to wait for the AM2.

same for me. (well, i do have warranty. in switzerland. i am not there, never have been either)

for anyone interested in the internals of the AM01, i carefully popped my unit open. FiiO loves gluing metal to plastics (as they did with the X5 back cover)

super effective to keep the unit together, but not too handy for repairabillity.

it's pretty impressive looking.

(FiiO, if you want the pic removed please say so)

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #10,324 of 18,020
Hey guys, can anybody compare the x7 with am2 module to the ak240? Are they on par sq wise now because I think ppl were saying the ak240 was still better with am1 module so curious as to how they compare now. Thanks.

Look on page 99 of this thread. Maybe it helps.

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #10,326 of 18,020
Um thanks but it doesnt answer my question. Also the part about it not be a competitor is not correct anymore as we know now. This was way back when the fiio x7 hadn't even released or had finalised specs yet.

You want to buy AK240, and are asking if you should buy X7 with AM2 instead, or just asking ?

It would depends a lot on what headphones / IEMs you are using, what signature you are looking for, why you want either, etc. 

You could buy An x7 + AM2 + 200GBmicroSD + Ie800 + AKG K550 (all your audiophile needs) for the money spend on a single AK240.

If you would want the absolute best audio quality possible portable, probably you should be looking at a transport + Hugo, as AK240 has been advertised as Hugo transport, which means that it is considered by AK themselves that Hugo is better. 

IF you are asking for a comparation between Hugo and X7, or Mojo and X7 I could not have done one, but I will surely soon, though there are countless such comparations in this thread. 

I strongly believe that after a certain mark the signature takes a more important place than technical abilities in equipment, because even though LCD4 are one fo the most expensive headphones ever made, and sound technically incredible, their signature makes them unfit for my music and tastes, and ie800 are just a much better fit for my needs. Even akg k550 is a better fit than Audeze, because I just like the signature better. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #10,327 of 18,020

You want to buy AK240, and are asking if you should buy X7 with AM2 instead, or just asking ?

It would depends a lot on what headphones / IEMs you are using, what signature you are looking for, why you want either, etc. 

You could buy An x7 + AM2 + 200GBmicroSD + Ie800 + AKG K550 (all your audiophile needs) for the money spend on a single AK240.

If you would want the absolute best audio quality possible portable, probably you should be looking at a transport + Hugo, as AK240 has been advertised as Hugo transport, which means that it is considered by AK themselves that Hugo is better. 

IF you are asking for a comparation between Hugo and X7, or Mojo and X7 I could not have done one, but I will surely soon, though there are countless such comparations in this thread. 

I strongly believe that after a certain mark the signature takes a more important place than technical abilities in equipment, because even though LCD4 are one fo the most expensive headphones ever made, and sound technically incredible, their signature makes them unfit for my music and tastes, and ie800 are just a much better fit for my needs. Even akg k550 is a better fit than Audeze, because I just like the signature better. 

+1  
It´s a matter of taste. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #10,329 of 18,020
Has anyone tried using the X& with a mojo?  If so which connection are you using and can you hear an upgrade by using the mojo with the X7.

Thanks for any feedback

Mike

Mojo sounds much better to my ears than just HO of x7. I am using the coax connect.

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #10,330 of 18,020
  Has anyone tried using the X& with a mojo?  If so which connection are you using and can you hear an upgrade by using the mojo with the X7.

Thanks for any feedback
Mike

Tried and quite awhile ago as well - in both USB OTG as well as coax. If it is with AM1, I'll X7 is comparable but Mojo have some small advantage overall. But with AM2, I don't feel like X7 is anything less. In fact, I haven't really use Mojo much since I got AM2.

Also, there is a bit pointless to use Mojo with X7. You could have use a smartphone (over USB OTG) or just X3II / X5II (over coax). One of X7 main feature is its DAC and pairing it with Mojo kind of make it a waste of money.

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #10,331 of 18,020
Regarding "no warranty" for whatever reason:

Hmm, I don't see how anybody could have run out of warranty since the X7 was released. Yes having local warranty would be cooler as you can just send it to your local dealer, but failing that we always offer international warranty, and in the case of the AM1 module for the X7 it's not so bad, it's just a small chunk of metal you can unscrew and send on its way to FiiO HQ in China, and not be charged taxes or worry about having to ship batteries internationally somehow. We'd be eager to see whatever is wrong with them, fix them and send them back to you at our own cost. If you're interested in the above please contact support@fiio.net and they'll tell you what to do :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back