FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Feb 2, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #8,956 of 18,020
Got the DAC working in X7 tonight > PC > K5 + X7 (docked) > Headphones

Had to disable driver enforcement in Win 10 first - after that everything was smooth. Resolution available up to 24/192.  Sounds very good. Nice implementation.  Brilliant with the K5 - the two were made for each other. 

Those with the K5, can you comment on the sound signature if it adds any coloration or warmth vs the X7 + IEM module. I want to pick up the K5 but only if it's a neutral and balance sound.

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #8,957 of 18,020
Those with the K5, can you comment on the sound signature if it adds any coloration or warmth vs the X7 + IEM module. I want to pick up the K5 but only if it's a neutral and balance sound.

Probably not more colored, but IEM module was not really colored at all. At least not for me. 

I have very high fears that medium power module will be too dark and too smooth for me, as it uses muses opamps, which have superb mids and bass, but way too smooth treble, and dark-ish sound.. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #8,958 of 18,020

Probably not more colored, but IEM module was not really colored at all. At least not for me. 

I have very high fears that medium power module will be too dark and too smooth for me, as it uses muses opamps, which have superb mids and bass, but way too smooth treble, and dark-ish sound.. 

George, would you know which Muse chip will be used in the medium power module?

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #8,959 of 18,020

I haven't noticed any colouration so far - both causal and critical listening.  I'd regard it pretty much as neutral.  Window to the DAP you have docked really.

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #8,960 of 18,020

Its also all based on how its implemented imo, I wouldnt be surprised if they managed to make it sound good. the ESS dacs are said to have a sabre 'glare' yet the X7 doesn't exhibit that. So I would trust FiiO to implement it well :p

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #8,961 of 18,020

I didn't notice any warmth or coloration. The IEM module actually sounds warmer to me than the K5 doc but ymmv. The K5 is pretty dope not gonna lie. Well worth every penny imo.

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #8,963 of 18,020
  Is it worth about 160$ ?

Because this is the lowest price I can find it at.

For my uses I would be inclined to say yes and I paid 160 dollars for it.

I needed an all in one desktop amplifier that can drive everything from my most sensitive iems to hard to drive planars. In that aspect, it performs admirably. A wide range of gain options, coupled with a myriad if input and output options make it a future proof package, as FiiO has also included ports that should be compatible with their newer players. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #8,964 of 18,020
  You have to disable driver signature enforcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71YAIw7_-kg (it disables it for just 1 boot so you have to install the driver once you get back to desktop)

Thanks, I thought that this time it won't be necessary to do that. Same as X5 or dx90 in the past.
Anyhow - it worked. Now waiting for the K5 to arrive.

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #8,965 of 18,020
I didn't notice any warmth or coloration. The IEM module actually sounds warmer to me than the K5 doc but ymmv. The K5 is pretty dope not gonna lie. Well worth every penny imo.

Brilliant thanks for commenting fellas. Sounds like I'll be picking it up.

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #8,966 of 18,020

I haven't noticed any colouration so far - both causal and critical listening.  I'd regard it pretty much as neutral.  Window to the DAP you have docked really.

That's exactly how I perceive it as well. 

X7 + K5 kind of reminds me of X7 + E12A with a wider soundstage, when used with IEMs and more efficient cans.  That's why I'm thinking that medium gain amp module might sound similar because it will utilize the same MUSE opamp (as in E12A).  And I'm hoping the balanced amp module will expand the width similar to K5.  But in a meantime, for those who fancy desktop use for their harder to drive cans and don't mind IEM amp equipped X7 on the go - X7 + K5 combo makes perfect sense!

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #8,967 of 18,020

I actually have heard the medium power amp module - with the HD650, it didn't sound dark at all. IMO it actually made the HD650 sound closer to a HD600 (but I'm not saying that the amp is excessively bright).

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #8,968 of 18,020
Is it worth about 160$ ?

Because this is the lowest price I can find it at.

It's only $109.99 usd at B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1217423-REG/fiio_k5_docking_headphone_amplifier.html

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #8,970 of 18,020
I actually have heard the medium power amp module - with the HD650, it didn't sound dark at all. IMO it actually made the HD650 sound closer to a HD600 (but I'm not saying that the amp is excessively bright).

If it improves the SQ with easy to drive headphones vs the IEM module, then that's enough of a reason for me to upgrade to the medium module. I'll still get the balanced module when I get around to buying a set of cans in balanced mode. Saving up for Senn HD800s in balanced and hoping it's not too fatiguing when paired with X7 + balance module/K5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back