FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Feb 2, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #8,941 of 18,020

I just tried this, and you're right the lag immediately goes away once you set it to 24/192. But the weird things is (maybe it's just my computer) I've found that after setting it to 24/192, I can set it to 24/96 with still no lag.

Also, I presume you've set it to Low Latency in the TUSB control panel?

Yes, I've set the low latency in TUSB control panel, I've also experimented with buffer size. For me the latency for 24/96 does not go away but it gets smaller. I can still notice it in game but it's ok for watching videos etc. I have to check how it behaves when playing some files with different sample rates with ASIO/WASAPI,

I'm OK with running 24/192 but I would like to get confirmation from FiiO on what exactly is X7 doing in DAC mode.  
​I just hope it's a bug not a limitation of the X7.

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #8,942 of 18,020

I'm not talking about the delay when first starting an audio stream - that is normal for some DACs. I'm talking about the constant latency you get when the audio is running. For example: if the X7 is set to 24/96 when I'm in game (I've noticed it while playing) and I shot, the audio is played with a noticeable latency. If i'm in 24/192 the latency is not there. This could point to some kind of software upsampling in X7 and I would like FiiO to make a statement about this.

Now that you mentioned it, I did occasionally see lag with YouTube videos. I had to stop the video and wait for it to fix itself. I will try 24/192 and see if it helps.

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #8,943 of 18,020
  I'm running both but the latency I observed was on Windows (I've not looked for it on Mac). Try running at 24/192, you'll probably find that there is no lag there. I think X7 is doing some upsampling in software for lower sampling rates.

the sample rate and bit is not correct on the X7's screen . just for referent. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 2, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #8,944 of 18,020

Really? It's showing the changes I make on Windows. Are you implying that the shown sample and bit rate are incorrect when running OSX?

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #8,945 of 18,020

I'm not talking about what is displayed on screen.
If you set 24/96 in your Windows audio setting you'll get latency in audio when using X7 as a DAC. (there is a delay between what you see on screen and what you hear in your headphones, for example in game when you shoot, there is a delay and then you hear the shot)
It looks like X7 is doing some additional processing on 24/96 signal and that creates a delay.

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #8,946 of 18,020
Hi , i have questions to you guys , i want to know , what to do if i want to update the media library manually ? On the setting menu there are 2 choices on media update : Manual or Automatic . when i set to Automatic , after loading Album files , restart the X7 , nothing happens , and don't find how to update manually . Thanks in advance .

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #8,949 of 18,020
  Can the X7 finally download/store music from Tidal? I know that was a feature people have been waiting for. And by people, I mean me, lol. 

It can download and store from Tidal, but only to the internal storage, not SD card. This won't give you a lot of capacity if you use Hi-Fi quality downloads.

FiiO support have told me they will look to implement SD card storage in a future firmware update but this is not guaranteed.

I'll probably wait for one more update to see if it can be achieved, otherwise I'll go with the Onkyo DAP instead.

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #8,951 of 18,020
Feb 2, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #8,953 of 18,020

I think it will not be a problem if the DP-X1 can do that. 

I hope so. I think if the internal memory can appear as one location rather than two, then TIDAL will see the SD card correctly as 'external'.

How do you know the Onkyo allows you to decide where offline Tidal content is stored?

It's been reported as working correctly by at least two users who "appear" to know what they are talking about. Although one of the reasons I haven't gone ahead with importing one is that I'd like to see it for myself on a demonstration unit, or one that I can return easily if it doesn't work as expected. After all, someone on this thread did once report it as working on the X7 
rolleyes.gif

Have you tried it on yours?

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #8,954 of 18,020

Have you tried it on yours?

Sorry X7 readers for being off topic. I haven't and frankly I'm not even sure how one would go about doing this as I haven't seen any options in Tidal that specify where files go. I have to assume there is some Android setting for where apps save data?

Edit: I'm only doing this as it may benefit X7 users, so please forgive the OT info. Yes, you can select the app from the apps list and once there click save to SD card. There is a caveat though, in my case it said it couldn't do so as there wasn't enough room. Now I have two SD cards and one is almost full, but the second has quite a bit of room so obviously the full one is the default location (SD1) I assume that Android looks for. I didn't see a setting to select a different SD card. Odd and I assume if I move cards into different slots it may make the OS get funky.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #8,955 of 18,020
Connected X7 to my phone hoping to enjoy that X7s masterrace sq while still using my phone... Split second pauses and crackles all over. Quite a letdown, especially when my trusty E17 works perfect under the same conditions. :frowning2:

I'm puzzle what's the purpose of connecting the X7 to a smart phone? Why not use the X7 standalone as a DAP and leave the phone separate. This way less bulk and no interruptions while listening to music if an email or text message notification pops up. Am I missing something ?

*EDIT*
Sorry I replied too early before reading the follow up posts to why this setup. Disregard the above original post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back