FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Oct 16, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #5,491 of 18,020
Re All this brouhaha concerning the IEM module... @JamesFiiO will know better, but wasn't the X7 equipped with only the IEM module only for the Tour? Weren't people before complaining that the production X7 will come bundled with both a "normal" module and an IEM module, making people complain bitterly that they don't need an IEM module and shouldn't be paying for this in the first place?

I just don't see the issue. As long as it holds to SQ expectations, the X7 is incredibly reasonably priced. Whether you have to buy an additional module or not (and from what I understand, you won't have to by default), you're still going to pay miles less than the direct competition. So why lambast the product then, as underpowered, anyway? It has the power, just get the right module if you have special needs... That was the whole point: create a modular architecture, and optimize each module for its intended usage. This renders comparisons with other DAPs, including X3/X5, unhelpful. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #5,492 of 18,020
For use with your 2 $1500, & $3000 headphones... You're really going to complain about spending an affordable (yet TBD) price for amp modules?
Very much a moot point, because people will just buy more expensive amps anyways, at the cost of form factor.

I wasn't complaining about the cost of the modules, just questioning the decision to make the IEM amp module the standard.

Oct 16, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #5,493 of 18,020
Re All this brouhaha concerning the IEM module... @JamesFiiO
 will know better, but wasn't the X7 equipped with only the IEM module only for the Tour? Weren't people before complaining that the production X7 will come bundled with both a "normal" module and an IEM module, making people complain bitterly that they don't need an IEM module and shouldn't be paying for this in the first place?

I just don't see the issue. As long as it holds to SQ expectations, the X7 is incredibly reasonably priced. Whether you have to buy an additional module or not (and from what I understand, you won't have to by default), you're still going to pay miles less than the direct competition. So why lambast the product then, as underpowered, anyway? It has the power, just get the right module if you have special needs... That was the whole point: create a modular architecture, and optimize each module for its intended usage. This renders comparisons with other DAPs, including X3/X5, unhelpful. 

Nope, James always said it will just come with the IEM module.

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #5,495 of 18,020
Nope, James always said it will just come with the IEM module.

Indeed. Yet James on various occasions mentioned also that "we will sell other module at very reasonable price". Given the headline price-tag of the X7, people shouldn't be worrying so much about "wasted money". Lest we forget, FiiO is following the market and I assume that the market says that IEMs is the dominant form of equipment people have. Those with hungry phones should get something more appropriate, which they always do anyways...

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #5,496 of 18,020
different configs would be better. why have iem module when don't need, so wasted money. optional configs is better from the start.

Yes, pretty much that's been covered a few times. :wink_face:

Indeed. Yet James on various occasions mentioned also that "we will sell other module at very reasonable price". Given the headline price-tag of the X7, people shouldn't be worrying so much about "wasted money". Lest we forget, FiiO is following the market and I assume that the market says that IEMs is the dominant form of equipment people have. Those with hungry phones should get something more appropriate, which they always do anyways...

Singing to the choir but I do regret that any unwanted IEM modules might end up in the landfill. Or there becomes a healthy secondary market.

Oct 16, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #5,498 of 18,020
Yes, pretty much that's been covered a few times. :wink_face:
Singing to the choir but I do regret that any unwanted IEM modules might end up in the landfill. Or there becomes a healthy secondary market.

if it is the standard module, there will not be a market for it. people may start to mod it though. and it's much cheaper to develop a mod also buying it, since you don't need to pay the price of the body.

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #5,499 of 18,020
Well actually there are several high profile competitor DAPs to the X7, and they are similarly priced but also can drive over ear cans at the outset, and they have the famous Sabre dac too, but with better amp. After buying optional amp for X7 the only advantage is Android, but at this kind of price myself don't care about Android, it's about audio purity and performance at this level, and a functional interface like DX90 suffice. I already have Android phone, so Android is not my consideration, and all in all, on that count FiiO loses it's good name this time for 'affordable' products punching above their weight regarding the X7. I won't buy FiiO just because it's a FiiO! We buy FiiO for the value. The thing that made them famous is the products that compete but at 2/3rds the price. Just a thought. The iBasso DX80 will be here soon, and it's specs rival everything out there and for 1/2 price of X7. Dig?

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #5,500 of 18,020
The term 'IEM module' is a terrible name - it gives the impression that it is for IEM only and I can imagine some will want to ditch it ASAP. But if you actually look at the output power, it should be able to drive not just IEM, but also most full size, not demanding headphone just fine as well. It should have been called the 'standard module' instead.

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #5,501 of 18,020
Yes, pretty much that's been covered a few times.
wink_face.gif

Maybe FiiO could make an opt-out scheme, whereas some would order their X7 without the IEM module and with a substitution module instead, for a small fee. Or perhaps FiiO could accept IEM module returns for a partial reimbursement, which they could refurbish and reuse if necessary...

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #5,502 of 18,020

Maybe FiiO could make an opt-out scheme, whereas some would order their X7 without the IEM module and with a substitution module instead, for a small fee. Or perhaps FiiO could accept IEM module returns for a partial reimbursement, which they could refurbish and reuse if necessary...

They should just do the right thing by their customers. IEM or Heavy Hitter version. Simple, problem solved.

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #5,504 of 18,020
All this aside, I look forward to finding out from multiple sources how it sounds! I suspect it will be good, likely excellent given the X3 and X5 experience. I will also be keeping my eye out for other DAPs as was mentioned a few posts back, despite the decent price the X7 is at, there is stiff competition in this marketplace. Regardless, for the many positive attributes and strides Fiio has made with the X7, they do deserve praise (and thankfully choice in power is available for those of us who like more power whether we need it or not).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back