FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Oct 15, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #5,462 of 18,019
CDM is actually quiet good ! I looked into it for a while....but the price is a bit of an Ouch !
biggrin.gif

No doubt, yeah the price is a bit high for me at this point, maybe theyll do a Christmas sale or something, or I could pick one up used eventually too. I bet the X7/CDM combo would be better that something like the AK240 as long as your gonna spend a boatload may as well get the best possible SQ

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #5,463 of 18,019

I said the exact same thing and everybody proceeded to yell at me for being "ungrateful."
blink.gif

It will be modular with an easily interchangable amp-module, and Fiio will be producing other amp-modules as well.  Issue is, we'll have to buy them separately.

G​ive them time, they'll be on my ass soon, but yes 100Mw is sad. The Sony ZX2 gives us that already and with more storage (although I don't remember if it is expandable).

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #5,464 of 18,019

G​ive them time, they'll be on my ass soon, but yes 100Mw is sad. The Sony ZX2 gives us that already and with more storage (although I don't remember if it is expandable).

The Sony ZX2 probably has background hiss with sensitive IEM's, though.  That's a ubiquitous problem with Sony DAP's, regardless of how "premium high-end" they are.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #5,465 of 18,019

Um, doesn't the Sony ZX2 output 15mW per channel. It's output is incredibly weak.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #5,466 of 18,019
I will of course stipulate that the ZX2 is considerably more expensive, which brings into the discussion what is worth more, reasonable power and lower price (X7) or having a higher price point but more power for the X7? I think we also need to consider that the ZX2 kills on battery life. Frankly I think it is a mistake to underpower a DAP. I should be able to run a HE 560 nicely with a DAP. What I want to know is why the power trade-off FiiO? What features seemed more worthy of prioritizing and how much more cost at retail would doubling the power be? Is it the form factor that would need to change to have more power?

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #5,467 of 18,019
Um, doesn't the Sony ZX2 output 15mW per channel. It's output is incredibly weak.

Yes, you are correct and I will have egg all over my face (but I still won't delete my posts as I deserve the public thrashing for not checking my facts). I have actually been trying to find why I had the 100Mw feature in mind. Was that from the PHA3? If that is the case folks it simply means that you can learn from my mistake. Check your supposed facts before you post!! I had it in my mind that the ZX2 was 100Mw. ​

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #5,468 of 18,019
So, having been reading around yes the Sony A17 had a mere 10Mw and the ZX2 is only marginally more powerful. So, given that I was in error, while I still wouldn't say 100Mw is very powerful; however, given that the competition is considerably lower, I will need to at least modify my critique considerably and suggest that 100Mw isn't high enough, but it certainly isn't woefully underpowered either. I guess expecting 1/4 of the E12s power is a tough act given that the screen needs to take up so much real estate. I guess I'm just frustrated as I dream of a quality DAP with at least 200Mw.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #5,469 of 18,019

Yes, you are correct and I will have egg all over my face (but I still won't delete my posts as I deserve the public thrashing for not checking my facts). I have actually been trying to find why I had the 100Mw feature in mind. Was that from the PHA3? If that is the case folks it simply means that you can learn from my mistake. Check your supposed facts before you post!! I had it in my mind that the ZX2 was 100Mw. ​

I think you must have been remembering something about the PHA-2 or the PHA-3.

Anyway, some folks are saying the low output power of the X7's stock/default amp is due to them wanting to make sure it does fine with sensitive IEM's.  I call B.S. on that.  Reason why is because the X3ii in my experience, and the X5ii by all accounts, have a PERFECTLY BLACK hiss-free background with sensitive IEM's, according to many folks even with super-low-impedance ultra-sensitive ones.  They both have over twice teh power of the X7.  Meanwhile, Fiio's own E12a is supposed to be their amp which is optimized for perfomance with IEM's (as opposed to the normal E12) and outputs up to 440mW if I remember correctly.  So there's no real excuse for the "IEM Module" amp-module for the X7 being designed to only output 100mW at most.  That is, unless you're of the fanboy-type who decides you love a company so unconditionally much that you'll make excuses for them rather than admitting when they have done something which is somewhat illogical.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #5,470 of 18,019

I think you must have been remembering something about the PHA-2 or the PHA-3.

Anyway, some folks are saying the low output power of the X7's stock/default amp is due to them wanting to make sure it does fine with sensitive IEM's.  I call B.S. on that.  Reason why is because the X3ii in my experience, and the X5ii by all accounts, have a PERFECTLY BLACK hiss-free background with sensitive IEM's, according to many folks even with super-low-impedance ultra-sensitive ones.  They both have over twice teh power of the X7.  Meanwhile, Fiio's own E12a is supposed to be their amp which is optimized for perfomance with IEM's (as opposed to the normal E12) and outputs up to 440mW if I remember correctly.  So there's no real excuse for the "IEM Module" amp-module for the X7 being designed to only output 100mW at most.  That is, unless you're of the fanboy-type who decides you love a company so unconditionally much that you'll make excuses for them rather than admitting when they have done something which is somewhat illogical.

I do think that its not an apples to apples comparison between the X3K and the X7. For one thing, the X7 has wifi capacity, which has its own sets of challenges (background noise etc). Perhaps, they are working to optimize the higher gain modules to work well and maybe the iem module is the one providing the best performance (with less hissing etc). This way, fans can still enjoy the X7 and not have to wait for further modules to be worked on and perfected.

This is all conjecture of course. With the line out capability it would be easy to hook up a really portable amp, such as the headstone arrow 5Tx which is really powerful and really small, in the meanwhile. FiiO has also gone on record to say that the amp modules will be priced more favourably compared to the competition, so am hoping it wont cost too much to buy new modules. 

Would be nice to have more power but this is what we get at the moment. Aside from the iPod classic which I received from another head fier a few weeks back, the X7 is my first DAP so I am still rather new to this aspect of the hobby 
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #5,471 of 18,019
  That is, unless you're of the fanboy-type who decides you love a company so unconditionally much that you'll make excuses for them rather than admitting when they have done something which is somewhat illogical.

I'm definitely not a "fanboy-type," but what strikes me as illogical is to lambast a product without having heard it first.  This amp works quite well and the X7 sounds exponentially better than many DAPs I've heard.  It compares well to Hifiman's flagship and  I look forward to more amp modules.  They even included a screwdriver... a tool, not the cocktail.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #5,472 of 18,019

I'm definitely not a "fanboy-type," but what strikes me as illogical is to lambast a product without having heard it first.  This amp works quite well and the X7 sounds exponentially better than many DAPs I've heard.  It compares well to Hifiman's flagship and  I look forward to more amp modules.  They even included a screwdriver... a tool, not the cocktail.

Seriously?  They even include a screwdriver specifically calibrated to the size of the screws in the player?  I gotta admit, that's really frigging awesome :p

What other accessories does it come with?

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #5,473 of 18,019
I have to be honest here. To express that the X7 might be better off with a medium powered module as the bundled amp is one thing but to read post after post about the potential shortcomings without hearing it is actually getting tiring. The X7 has changeable modules for pretty much any possible use (except perhaps the HE-6 and the like). FiiO decided to bundle the IEM amp. Some people don't like that (including myself) but can we not re-hash it again and again and again.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #5,474 of 18,019
The X7 is offering a very different experience than previous FiiO players, now including WiFi, a touchscreen and the Android OS with the ability to add apps.  It's a new deal, not the next generation of an existing product... so it should be judged by its own nascent and evolving standards.

This is not a replacement for the X1, X3 II, X5 I & II... but an ambitious and very successful new edition to their line.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #5,475 of 18,019
  The X7 is offering a very different experience than previous FiiO players, now including WiFi, a touchscreen and the Android OS with the ability to add apps.  It's a new deal, not the next generation of an existing product... so it should be judged by its own nascent and evolving standards.

This is not a replacement for the X1, X3 II, X5 I & II... but an ambitious and very successful new edition to their line.

My buddy who has one has been telling me how awesome the X7 is. Pretty much goes toe toe with players costing many times as much. As it stands, value wise taking into the consideration the cost of the X7, I would have to say that the X7 is priced very competitively.

They could have charged more, and people would have still bought it after hearing it. Its that good according to my buddy.

Does that mirror your experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back