FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Apr 1, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #3,181 of 18,020
  Nope, haven't had yet a possibility to test listen a Fiio product. Have you directly compared X5 with AK100 (MK2)? I've read several reviews that X5 does not have the same neutral and detailed sound signature as AK.

Hi!

I have the AK100, AK100 Mk2, and the X5.

Did a blind test, volume matched:

Between the X5 and the AK100 and AK100 Mk2 there was such little difference that I could not tell them apart reliably in my blind test.

I tested them before and heard what I thought are huge differences, but then ones auditory memory is a bitch. In the live test, same 24/96 FLAC playing at the same volume on all players, the differences were so tiny, I was shocked. 

eek.gif

Cheers,
K

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #3,182 of 18,020
man companies who make daps are losing so many people because of not implementing proper eq 

sorry for all those who do not agree, but proper eq is the secret for any good dap

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #3,183 of 18,020
  man companies who make daps are losing so many people because of not implementing proper eq 

sorry for all those who do not agree, but proper eq is the secret for any good dap

no dap i know of has parametric eq. most have graphic EQ, because it is so much more user friendly. good eq means for it to sound good, and the one in x5 does wonders for most of us.

but everything androd based can have, if you install the right application. why are you so concerned, there are apps in android that allow for better parametric eq than anyone could ever need, and x7 is android based, you can install what music app and eq you like if you are not satisfied with the original.

i preffer much better a normal, graphic eq, because i found it more reliable. i had used very good parametric eq when i was into audio mastering, but always returned to graphic eq, because parametric were much less reliable long terms.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #3,184 of 18,020

Hi!

I have the AK100, AK100 Mk2, and the X5.

Did a blind test, volume matched:

Between the X5 and the AK100 and AK100 Mk2 there was such little difference that I could not tell them apart reliably in my blind test.

I tested them before and heard what I thought are huge differences, but then ones auditory memory is a bitch. In the live test, same 24/96 FLAC playing at the same volume on all players, the differences were so tiny, I was shocked. 

eek.gif

Cheers,
K

from the picture, your x5 is stacked with something else.

you yoused headphone out, or line out of all players there?

also, i do not excpet bg differences either, but it is refreshing to know that differences exist.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #3,185 of 18,020

eek.gif

Cheers,
K

Thanks for your impressions. I'm really looking for a replacement of my AK 100 (Mk2) and X5 is starting to look as a potential candidate (though not quite sure about its UI). Haven't decided yet. It would be interesting to hear X7 if it's available anytime soon.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #3,187 of 18,020
from the picture, your x5 is stacked with something else.

you yoused headphone out, or line out of all players there?

also, i do not excpet bg differences either, but it is refreshing to know that differences exist.

Hi. Yes. It's stacked with a Cayin C5 but for the test I plugged all into the headphone out to assess the DAPs.

The input switcher is a full transparent switcher only and the short connection cables are of high quality.

Cheers,
K

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #3,188 of 18,020
Hi. Yes. It's stacked with a Cayin C5 but for the test I plugged all into the headphone out to assess the DAPs.

The input switcher is a full transparent switcher only and the short connection cables are of high quality.

Cheers,
K

nice conditions!

thanks!

so, there was a little difference?

was the difference worth?

the only other solution but fiio i ever considered was hugo, it was the only other thing that seemed to impress me, no matter what i done.

also, if there was no difference, which one you kept, after testing?

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #3,189 of 18,020
  nice conditions!

thanks!

so, there was a little difference?

was the difference worth?

the only other solution but fiio i ever considered was hugo, it was the only other thing that seemed to impress me, no matter what i done.

also, if there was no difference, which one you kept, after testing?

Well, the AK100 + Gloveaudio A1 is worth it in my opinion, fully balanced DAC and Amp is great and the powerful amp unit is something else. The clarity with this setup is amazing.
As with the remaining differences. But is the difference to the X5 worth a few hundred dollars? No, I don't think they are worth it if you have easy to drive headphones. But having this 1% higher sound quality for some might mean the world, for me, not that much.

I have to add that I wasn't alone doing the test, I had a friend there who also couldn't hear any meaningful difference and that with our favorite test tracks.

So I am now happy with what I have and don't see any reason to update. The largest impact was and is the headphones, so I after my shopping spree with DAPs, I am back to headphones :wink:

Cheers,
K

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #3,191 of 18,020
  Just saying

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO/posts/890447801012754?fref=nf

rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Considering the date today, the product photo is amazing...

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #3,192 of 18,020

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #3,194 of 18,020
From the FaceBook page:

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO/posts/890447801012754?fref=nf
FiiO X7 final specs revealed!

SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 810
Display: Side 1: 6" 2560x1440 IPS, Side 2: 3" 2048x1536 IPS with button controls. With sapphire glass panels
RAM / ROM: 4GB/512GB, dual SD card slots
DAC: Dual ESS9018
Amp chips: N/A (full discrete dual monoblock class A design)
Output power: 2000mWx2@0.01%THD, 32ohm
Maximum sample rates: 64bit/384kHz, DSD1024
Includes: 4G cellular networking, WIFI, NFC, gyro sensors, GPS, pressure sensors, heart rate sensor (for exercise use)
Size: EMINENTLY, EMPHATICALLY POCKETABLE
Product photo: http://jodoforce.smugmug.com/Other/FiiO/i-r4m9R2F/0/O/1.jpg

Full Class A design, a hot topic, how about 2W power at 32Ohms, sure way to warm up your IEMS, DSD 1024. - can only say wow that's what I call future proof, that might out lived me.

Way to go James! I love the brick design on that FaceBook page.

Guys go admire that amazing device James is cooking. :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back