FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 31, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #2,074 of 18,020

From an aesthetic standpoint, the one on the right (the one with the recessed screen) is better looking; however, some people may complain of a non-flat rear surface. At the same time, a recessed screen may help protect it from scratches. IMHO, only surfaces with strange outcrops (like the iPhone 6 lens and the one on the Oppo R5) are problematic and tend to wobble. The X7 has most of its surface flush, which will prevent it from wobbling. Even if people wanted to strap a portable amplifier to its body (such as the E12), there's plenty of real estate for that too.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #2,075 of 18,020
Is there amps selection already available? I can share some experience with custom modding balanced amps with MA9. I have three versions that In my opinion are top notch:

- Balanced with newest 4xOPA211LI version + 4xBUF634, dark type and extremely pleasing (expensive but worth it)
- Balanced with newest 4xAD797BR version + 4xBUF634, I consider this one a best of all (if well implemented)
- Balanced with newest 4xOPA627 version + 4xBUF634, classic

Default could be single ended 2xOPA627 + 4xBUF634 setup... or even something simpler transistor based and everyone gets an "upgrade" amp card :)

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #2,076 of 18,020
  Is there amps selection already available?

The amp module(s) of the X7 will likely be based around the existing E12 architecture. The opamps you have listed, while mostly excellent, might not always be the best possible for the particular topology that the X7 employs.

However, FiiO seems to favor the LME49600 for the current buffer stage, rather than the BUF634. IIRC, both are diamond buffer derived designs.

Also, a lot of the sound signature of a DAP/DAC also depends on the opamp used for the I/V converter (assuming that FiiO won't be using the ES9018 in voltage output mode, which has a lower performance ceiling than it does in current output mode) and LPF. A discrete design is likely too costly considering the price envelope. Most common opamps paired with the ES9018 for I/V duties are the AD797 and OPA1611, though it's not out of the question to use other ones.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #2,077 of 18,020
  OK, here is the final design of X7, sorry I can't show the detail to you guys.

Hey James, from an aesthetics point of view this looks pretty good, kinda large for me, but not excessively so.
I'm very sad though that you didn't go for your concept design below which I find absolutely GORGEOUS.
Sorry to be a little negative ( and I'm sure I'll be in the minority ), but the final design seems a bit 'me too' and rather boring.
The only design decision that hasn't been seen lots of times before is the second screen ( which I can't see a good reason for at all, this means more difficulty avoiding screen scratches, more 'holes' in protective cases, and requires the user to turn the unit over to make use of the second screen, surely the functions of this screen could appear on the main screen, can't get my head around this at all ).
Just in case the final design decision hasn't been totally set in stone ( fat chance, I know ) I'd like to voice my love of the concept below ( I also really like the 'flip switch' or 'flip slider', whatever it is )

If the X7 design really has been finalised please consider using this concept for your next model
redface.gif

Aesthetics aside, I trust you guys to get the sound quality right
wink.gif
, and sorry again for my limited enthusiasm for the looks.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #2,078 of 18,020
The back of X7, btw, we have two option, maybe it is not easy to find the different, but you can see the difference is the screen, one is flat , another is not, the screen is little lower! 

I think the lower screen is better ,if will not limit any functionality of the player .....
But i am questioning of its necessity & importance !

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #2,080 of 18,020
  we will released more information after the new year, but now I will like to release a prototype design which shows a very important features in X7, 

not sure whether you guys can find the secret.

Noted, this photo is just a concept design and has been give up.  in fact, we have decided the final design but still have some detail to be decided. 

Though it looks nice, it reminds me Sony.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #2,081 of 18,020
I like the design of the Sony too, although I find them quite different, and for those who like to stack ( not me! ) the Sony seems rather impractical.

As much as I dislike the design of the AK240, I applaud Astell and Kern for taking a chance with something distinctive.
There are too many boring 'boxes' already available to us.

Of course materials quality, finishing detail etc also play a big part in the final appeal of a product.
But these could also be applied to the rejected concept.

James, can you please confirm whether there's any chance that the concept could still be adopted at this late stage?

If it's definitely too late then I'd like to know so that I can get over it, and not bother the long sufferring participants of this thread with appeals for it's adoption!

One last time, for posterity?:

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #2,082 of 18,020

Hey James, from an aesthetics point of view this looks pretty good, kinda large for me, but not excessively so.
I'm very sad though that you didn't go for your concept design below which I find absolutely GORGEOUS.
Sorry to be a little negative ( and I'm sure I'll be in the minority ), but the final design seems a bit 'me too' and rather boring.
The only design decision that hasn't been seen lots of times before is the second screen ( which I can't see a good reason for at all, this means more difficulty avoiding screen scratches, more 'holes' in protective cases, and requires the user to turn the unit over to make use of the second screen, surely the functions of this screen could appear on the main screen, can't get my head around this at all ).
Just in case the final design decision hasn't been totally set in stone ( fat chance, I know ) I'd like to voice my love of the concept below ( I also really like the 'flip switch' or 'flip slider', whatever it is )

If the X7 design really has been finalised please consider using this concept for your next model
redface.gif

wink.gif

First come around the corner with a Porsche design and then offer a Volkswagen is certainly very confusing for the competitors.

Sorry, but also for potential buyers.

I would take the simpler design too, if the internal components are of high quality.

And at the end of the day, I have no doubt, that FiiO will present a really high end device. My actually used combo X5 + E12DIY with E12a configuration is sounding so incredible good that I have no idea how to do it better. But maybe it becomes better. We will see ...

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #2,084 of 18,020
I have to admit that the materials and finish of the AK240 are certainly admirable.
But I find the design/shape of the unit all-out ugly

Each to their own though, and since I can't even dream of spending that much on a DAP it shouldn't bother me!

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #2,085 of 18,020

redface.gif

wink.gif

It does look very good, but second one... is same good! I think they cannot reveal everything, let them positively impress everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back