FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 25, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #1,861 of 18,020
Kind of heavy on your neck though, carrying those suckers around.  Gonna use gaffer's tape to hold them on?

I already have a few ciems and iems. I don't need 5 or 10 of them just for a "different sound signature".

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #1,863 of 18,020
Is that a balanced cable?

Depends how you hold it
rolleyes.gif

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #1,864 of 18,020
On my wish list:
Sound quality better then X5 +E12DIY with the configuration of E12a and Silmic capacitors
Low impedance to drive my AKG K3003 with 8 Ohms
Enough power to drive my Audeze LCD-2
Battery live time ~10h

USB 3.0
Tiny thumbnails with cover.jpg when open a folder
Physical volume knop like the first preview image

not on wishlist:
Ability to handle 30.000 mp3 files
Shuffle play
Wifi or bluetooth
I mean, keep it simple and do it well. I wouldn't spend my money for gimmicks, i prefer a high-end sound mashine for HiRes files, no less, no more!

X5 can already do the ones highlighted in bold. USB 3.0 not much use in audio and only good for faster data transfer from PC to DAP. Sound quality is very subjective especially about being "better". Tiny thumbnails is just software fix.

Except for the volume knob I guess you already found what you want with X5.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #1,869 of 18,020
The more components introduced in a system, the more complex it gets.

adding external storage means more battery to power an additional external component?
data cable connector speed (reading the external storage) if slow, affects sound quality? (not all USB cables are made equal)

all sorts of stuff starts coming in, and harder to troubleshoot, if any issues arise from such a "stack".

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #1,870 of 18,020
On my wish list:
Sound quality better then X5 +E12DIY with the configuration of E12a and Silmic capacitors
Low impedance to drive my AKG K3003 with 8 Ohms
Enough power to drive my Audeze LCD-2
Battery live time ~10h
USB 3.0
Tiny thumbnails with cover.jpg when open a folder
Physical volume knop like the first preview image

not on wishlist:
Ability to handle 30.000 mp3 files
Shuffle play
Wifi or bluetooth

I mean, keep it simple and do it well. I wouldn't spend my money for gimmicks, i prefer a high-end sound mashine for HiRes files, no less, no more!

X5 can already do the ones highlighted in bold............. [snip]

Off topic but I can say the X5 has a hard time driving the LCD-2. Not subjective at all. They simply need more power to sound the way they are designed. If someone thinks they sound good straight from the X5 they are missing out.

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #1,871 of 18,020
Off topic but I can say the X5 has a hard time driving the LCD-2. Not subjective at all. They simply need more power to sound the way they are designed. If someone thinks they sound good straight from the X5 they are missing out.

You are right it's off topic. But I'm interested at the exact conditions you did the comparison. e.g blind, level-matched etc.

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #1,872 of 18,020
You are right it's off topic. But I'm interested at the exact conditions you did the comparison. e.g blind, level-matched etc.

PM sent. :wink:

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #1,873 of 18,020
Apparently, with the introduction of Android+apps in X7 audio player FiiO decided to venture deeper into the 'convergence territory', or to go iPod Touch way, so to speak.

But, in that smartphone/tablet/media player convergence territory there are already quite a few serious players, like for example Sony (sort of Apple-of-Android-world).

When X7 starts selling, I would be very curious to compare it to Sony Xperia Z3 - sound quality first, and then 'convergence quality' too, why not.

Also, under the 'competition in convergence territory' angle, something tells me that perhaps either mSATA, or more likely m.2 SATA (NGFF) storage option/slot may not necessarily be completely out of the question (yeah right FiiO says it is, but who can blame them, if they suddenly change their mind, stranger things have happened).

left - mSATA, right - m.2 SATA (NGFF)

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #1,874 of 18,020
Fiio already confirmed that X7 will not run the same app-base as full android. Only enough apps that is audio/music related. So I don't think convergeance will happen as you are saying. I think it will be a mistake. Fiio has done good with the software side but it's a different league when you talk about full-blown Android.

If msata has a future in portables it must come out from the bigger android/ios market.

Niche market like DAPs run by small company like Fiio is a huge gamble. Especially it's the component with the least impact on sound.

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #1,875 of 18,020
Fiio already confirmed that X7 will not run the same app-base as full android. Only enough apps that is audio/music related. So I don't think convergeance will happen as you are saying. I think it will be a mistake. Fiio has done good with the software side but it's a different league when you talk about full-blown Android.

If msata has a future in portables it must come out from the bigger android/ios market.

Niche market like DAPs run by small company like Fiio is a huge gamble. Especially it's the component with the least impact on sound.

I'm thinking that if you had a chance to listen to the K10 with the X5, such an idea, though possible, would not come quite as easily to You.I'd venture to say you'd gain more respect for the dap side of the equation as I Have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back