FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 25, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #1,846 of 18,020
No deal breaker for me. For example, i own a iPhone4, its 6 years old and the battery works fine. I guess, before the battery will damage, i will have the next new phone. The live time of the battery is long enough and must not be replaceable by owner.

Dec 25, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #1,847 of 18,020
No deal breaker for me. For example, i own a iPhone4, its 6 years old and the battery works fine. I guess, before the battery will damage, i will have the next new phone. The live time of the battery is long enough and must not be replaceable by owner.

I have a Note 3 and I can have a spare battery so I can keep using my phone if I need to by swapping in a spare battery.  The point is we all have choices and there are buyers who would really appreciate a replaceable battery option.  James explained his design decision and now we as consumers need to decide if the product offering will work for us.

Dec 25, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,848 of 18,020
On my wish list:
Sound quality better then X5 +E12DIY with the configuration of E12a and Silmic capacitors
Low impedance to drive my AKG K3003 with 8 Ohms
Enough power to drive my Audeze LCD-2
Battery live time ~10h
USB 3.0
Tiny thumbnails with cover.jpg when open a folder
Physical volume knop like the first preview image

not on wishlist:
Ability to handle 30.000 mp3 files
Shuffle play
Wifi or bluetooth

I mean, keep it simple and do it well. I wouldn't spend my money for gimmicks, i prefer a high-end sound mashine for HiRes files, no less, no more!

Dec 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #1,849 of 18,020

I have a Note 3 and I can have a spare battery so I can keep using my phone if I need to by swapping in a spare battery.  The point is we all have choices and there are buyers who would really appreciate a replaceable battery option.  James explained his design decision and now we as consumers need to decide if the product offering will work for us.

Well with a power bank you wouldn`t even need to turn off the smarthphone...

Dec 25, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #1,850 of 18,020

Well with a power bank you wouldn`t even need to turn off the smarthphone...

But, in relation to the X7, a powerbank will increase the weight of what's already in your pocket - i.e. X7 + powerbank is much heavier than X7 alone.

Also, powerbank is heavier and bulkier than a spare battery, since a powerbank must, in order to be capable of charging another device, be of a higher voltage, and since a powerbank must also have it's own enclosure.

Also, a powerbank requires a flexible lead to be plugged into the DAP, which isn't a reliable longterm solution to often carry around in your pocket, because the lead and the plugs/sockets get stressed (similar problem with DAP+DACamp or DAP+amp stacks).

Dec 25, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #1,851 of 18,020
Aren't we done with this yet?  It's Xmas, can't we give it a day off?  
bigsmile_face.gif

Here, try this:  

Dec 25, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #1,852 of 18,020

But, in relation to the X7, a powerbank will increase the weight of what's already in your pocket - i.e. X7 + powerbank is much heavier than X7 alone.

Also, powerbank is heavier and bulkier than a spare battery, since a powerbank must, in order to be capable of charging another device, be of a higher voltage, and since a powerbank must also have it's own enclosure.

Also, a powerbank requires a flexible lead to be plugged into the DAP, which isn't a reliable longterm solution to often carry around in your pocket, because the lead and the plugs/sockets get stressed (similar problem with DAP+DACamp or DAP+amp stacks).

Eventually they will have batteries with 10 or more times the storage for the same size that we currently have. For now seems the restrictions that are in place will be here for while. 

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #1,853 of 18,020

Aren't we done with this yet?  It's Xmas, can't we give it a day off?  
bigsmile_face.gif

... I was just responding to someone else's post ..

Well...DITTO

Quote:

Eventually they will have batteries with 10 or more times the storage for the same size that we currently have. For now seems the restrictions that are in place will be here for while. 

Actually, it's incredible how far battery technology has come (although I wish it advanced more quickly).

Throughout my childhood, I made radio-controlled model aircraft, of various types, and I clearly remember the point at which battery technology finally made electric-powered model helicopters viable (circa 1990), prior to which, for mass-market purposes, it was only viable to use 2-stroke glow engines.

It is quite certain, however, that, currently, cellphone and DAP power requirements slightly exceed the energy density of lithium batteries. It's about time someone upped-the-game of the battery industry, for the benefit (& relief) of all of us fortunate enough to live in western society with such gadgets.

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #1,854 of 18,020
Actually, it's incredible how far battery technology has come (although I wish it advanced more quickly).

Throughout my childhood, I made radio-controlled model aircraft, of various types, and I clearly remember the point at which battery technology finally made electric-powered model helicopters viable (circa 1990), prior to which, for mass-market purposes, it was only viable to use 2-stroke glow engines.

It is quite certain, however, that, currently, cellphone and DAP power requirements slightly exceed the energy density of lithium batteries. It's about time someone upped-the-game of the battery industry, for the benefit (& relief) of all of us fortunate enough to live in western society with such gadgets.

Waiting for the newest ultracapacitor/supercapacitor tech to make it to market. Using graphene they are able to store more watt hours than current capacitors and begin to approach chemical batteries for run time. They also have extremely fast charging capabilities, seconds for a full charge. We are a few years away from this though as graphene is currently very expensive to produce.

An alternative discovered from a Canadian University (University of Alberta) uses the trunk of the hemp plant that is extremely cheap and has even better properties than graphene for ultracapacitors, but the unfounded stigma against hemp (not the same as its THC cousin) is a roadblock for its production.

A good article about it here. Link

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #1,855 of 18,020
I'm shure that are good ideas for the X70.

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #1,856 of 18,020
Nano technology was supposed to of started surfacing now I don't read much about it. It was to increase the density of the battery 10 times and have a longer life. An AA with 30 amps of storage would be interesting. 

So maybe James can get them to speed up the technology of some of these batteries for the sake of music lovers? :^)

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #1,857 of 18,020
  Nano technology was supposed to of started surfacing now I don't read much about it. It was to increase the density of the battery 10 times and have a longer life. An AA with 30 amps of storage would be interesting. 

So maybe James can get them to speed up the technology of some of these batteries for the sake of music lovers? :^)

I'd settle for the X7 running on 2-stroke fuel, as a compromise
tongue.gif

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #1,858 of 18,020
atomic power - and you don't need light whereever you go. :wink:

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #1,859 of 18,020
Too bad tech is usually 10 years away from lab to consumers.

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #1,860 of 18,020
  Go back to the Cowan that handles giant playlists and has long battery strength, or to an iPod?  Or is there something else out there for a "reasonable" price that will please folks that want a replaceable and/or 20-40 hour battery, can handle 20,000+ mp3s or lots of hi-res, holds at least 512gb of files, can deal with very large playlists, can stream, and will sound good? 

Those requirements are unrealistic... make it an 18 hour battery life (replaceable of course!) and you've got a deal!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back