FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 24, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #1,832 of 18,020
I find the comparisons to the Geek Wave interesting.

From what I could find it looks like the only configuration to be less expensive than the X7 is one that I, personally, would not want. 160mW@16 Ohm with a 3100mAh battery. That's not a lot for my needs, and for the price I'd prefer the X5.

After that the price jumps significantly, almost twice as much as the X7. The amp power isn't close to FiiO's proposed 500mW @32 Ohm output (per channel) and the battery is the same capacity........ For more money. Given that storage is the only advantage to me I would also not purchase this unit as I can easily change mSD cards on the X7 if I want to (at least compared to a price of $1199 MSRP for the XD128 model Geek).

The next Geek model, the XD128 IEM, is even more money for the same specs but less output power. So gouging the IEM market for no real reason as I see it in the specs.

After that the MRSP jumps to $2299 for the XDF256 model which now has relatively comparable specs to the X7. That's a giant leap in price and the only real advantage I see is storage space. And again, price gouging for the IEM version. For that kind of money I'd go with the AK240.

The Geek Wave is an interesting crowd sourced project but not anywhere near the hype for the price that they are marketing, and they seem to be all about the marketing. In this particular case I don't fall in the 'dual DACs are better' camp with the ESS9018K2M (2 channel per DAC with lower DNR) vs ESS9018 32 (8 channel DAC with higher DNR). I'm also not as concerned as others with the replaceable battery, but I do understand the concern.

In comparison the X7 looks like a bargain.

Edit: I haven't found any proposed run time specs but it looks like the comparable models to the X7 wouldn't have much advantage either. I know, that's what replaceable batteries are for.

Edit 2: Looks like a proposed 10 hour runtime for the Geek Wave. I don't see how they can reach their proposed design concept (super slim) with the listed components and battery size.

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #1,833 of 18,020
I have to agree that LH haven't impressed me with their bump-up-the-price-like-crazy approach to the GeekWave product line.

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #1,834 of 18,020
If a non-replaceable battery is a deal-breaker, then I guess those who want that will have to look elsewhere.  

If lack of ("appropriate") storage is a deal-breaker, than I guess those who want that will have to look elsewhere.

Fiio seems to be on-track to build what it wants to build, for reasons that make sense to it and what it perceives as its core base (which I assume is China).  I don't see the build changing all that much at this point, from the latest comments by James.  

At this point, this thread has changed from us asking for (wish list) things to Fiio telling us what is coming.  Granted, James may ask what kind of amps we want, or some such, but the basic structure and guts have been chosen and will not be changing.  

So far, for me, the X7 still looks like a good upgrade possibility.  Improved SQ over the X5 and "native" DSD play are the two selling points to me.  Size and power enter into it as well.  Will I ever use wifi and bt?  Not sure.  Touchscreen?  I had one on my DX50 and liked it, but I'm ok with buttons as on my X5.  

Since I'm now seeing folks looking for players other than A&K for the same reasons they don't like the X7 specs, I wonder where they will find their dream DAP.  Or will they have to settle for something slightly below (or way below) that "dream?"  Go back to the Cowan that handles giant playlists and has long battery strength, or to an iPod?  Or is there something else out there for a "reasonable" price that will please folks that want a replaceable and/or 20-40 hour battery, can handle 20,000+ mp3s or lots of hi-res, holds at least 512gb of files, can deal with very large playlists, can stream, and will sound good?  

For those of us that don't fall into those categories, or for whom the lack of them is not a deal-breaker, the X7 appears to still be on our wish list.  

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #1,835 of 18,020
The Geek marketing campaign has angered early adopters because they have incorporated features (the early adopters paid for as a perk) into later offerings so the early adopters paid more.  I am just saying the X64 seems to offer a lot of bang for the buck and has all the features I am looking for.  I do not need a 500mv amp and the 9018M DAC (if implemented right) should be good enough SQ for my needs.  If it was not for the wheel and 5800 song limit on the X5, I would seriously consider it since the price is acceptable given the internal battery.  I do love my X3 for now with the physical buttons and smooth analog type sound.

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #1,836 of 18,020
The Geek marketing campaign has angered early adopters because they have incorporated features (the early adopters paid for as a perk) into later offerings so the early adopters paid more.  I am just saying the X64 seems to offer a lot of bang for the buck and has all the features I am looking for.  I do not need a 500mv amp and the 9018M DAC (if implemented right) should be good enough SQ for my needs.  If it was not for the wheel and 5800 song limit on the X5, I would seriously consider it since the price is acceptable given the internal battery.  I do love my X3 for now with the physical buttons and smooth analog type sound.

Well, like I said, I can see right past the marketing hype and it seems to me they aren't offering anything special for the price.

In case you didn't know, the latest beta FW for the X5 doesn't have the 5800 song limit and you can always navigate with the buttons instead of the scroll wheel if you choose.

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #1,837 of 18,020
Well, like I said, I can see right past the marketing hype and it seems to me they aren't offering anything special for the price.

In case you didn't know, the latest beta FW for the X5 doesn't have the 5800 song limit and you can always navigate with the buttons instead of the scroll wheel if you choose.

Thanks for the clarification on the 5800 song limit and the ability to navigate solely through the buttons.

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #1,838 of 18,020

Early adopters didn't pay more, they just jumped the gun as usual before clarifying with the LHL team. They paid more as they chose extra features, e.g. Femto clock, Carbon Fiber casing, etc.
Minus all the extras, they still paid cheaper for the same product as advertised in their new forever campaign.

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #1,839 of 18,020
A non replaceable battery does help to keep the dap thinner.

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #1,840 of 18,020
Early adopters didn't pay more, they just jumped the gun as usual before clarifying with the LHL team. They paid more as they chose extra features, e.g. Femto clock, Carbon Fiber casing, etc.
Minus all the extras, they still paid cheaper for the same product as advertised in their new forever campaign.
Carbon Fiber Casing?? I thought a DAP was about sound right? On the other side why is carbon so expensive when it comes to DAP's ? On my motorcycle, i can replace many parts ( for example front fender)with real carbon and the prices are ok, a far cry even from a little carbon back plate on a DAP.

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #1,842 of 18,020
Carbon Fiber Casing?? I thought a DAP was about sound right? On the other side why is carbon so expensive when it comes to DAP's ? On my motorcycle, i can replace many parts ( for example front fender)with real carbon and the prices are ok, a far cry even from a little carbon back plate on a DAP.

Have you forgotten AK240 or Roxanne CF? This is headfi, you should have gotten used to the ridiculous pricing for any audiophile items regardless if it's for the sound or aesthetics. That said, I'm done with spending $1000s on IEMs when I can get a much better sounding bookshelf speakers for that price.

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #1,843 of 18,020
Regarding X7 amp module specs, Vinnie's remarks about the modifications he used to improve the AK240 sound quality are worth bearing in mind:

http://redwineaudio.com/mods/rwak240

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #1,844 of 18,020
I'm done with spending $1000s on IEMs when I can get a much better sounding bookshelf speakers for that price.

Kind of heavy on your neck though, carrying those suckers around.  Gonna use gaffer's tape to hold them on?

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #1,845 of 18,020

I read on one of the forums how an early backer listed the features he paid for and how the new forever campaign listed the same features for more money.  

http://www.lhlabs.com/force/geekwave/2849-geek-wave-price-reduction-in-forever-campaign#46907

All of this is off topic other than me sharing how a manufacturer is creating a brand new design and the replaceable battery was deemed an important feature along with a reasonably small form factor.  I would not be here at the Fiio forum if I did not own and respect their products. If anything the discussions have made it clear I should wait for a big sale on an X5.  I can accept the non-replaceable battery if I can purchase the X5 for less than $300 USD.  For a flagship product that will cost $699 a non-replaceable battery is a deal breaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back