Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Apr 15, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #406 of 578
It was released more than 3 years ago. So might be a new item purchased but its a very old model. The good news is that with the kernel upgrade, you can squeeze better performance out of it. And it still sounds pretty great.
Totally agree. I did not realize how outdated it was when I pulled the trigger. But since it was running vanilla android 5.1 install should not have been running smoother? I was able to install all the latest apps on it??? I guess just because I’m able to install them doesn’t mean they’ll run properly... upgrading to the new custom kernel definitely saved the device. But if people don’t mind using an external DAC with their phone I think that the iFi iDSD nano BL is a better choice
Because it does not depend on apps to render the music and it decodes DSD and MQA perfectly but it needs a bit perfect stream. No software EQ at all... Think it’s more future proof...

Apr 15, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #407 of 578
(Off Topic :smile_phones:)

I see that persuasive statement made often, that Modern Phone + DAC/AMP > Dedicated DAP. I guess it really depends on how you look at it.

If you’re streaming Qobuz in Hi Res or Tidal in MQA, then storage space on your phone is a moot point, so yeah sure, go with the DAC/AMP over USB.

If you’ve got a collection approaching a terabyte or more of offline flac & DSD, getting an OEM to sell you that much flash storage out the gate, or ponying up an extra couple hundred for a 1TB microSD (if your phone even has expandable storage), a phone being the source of your music collection starts to be less than ideal. If one’s pockets are bottomless, congratulations! A 1/2 terabyte equipped iPhone XS goes for upwards of a stack. Half a terabyte in microSD is <1/10 the price.

This couple year old DAP can be bought and stocked with 2 512gb cards for less than the cost it sold as new! I realize that’s not so much a value inherent to the device as it is just a blessing to this stubborn audiophile as time passes.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #408 of 578
Anyone who has learned to save space by compressing .dsf files into a wavpack, good news - even UAPP decodes correctly like dsf without any problems. What the floods completely rejected on their websites. In addition to Linux, it can also be used under Windows or macOS under brew and wavpack.
It is always possible to back decompress to dsf, the compression is from 35 to 55%.

https://thepenguin.eu/2017-09-29-how-to-convert-sacd-to-dsf-dff/
https://thepenguin.eu/2018-01-02-losslessly-compressing-dsd-files-with-wavpack/
Win
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/digital/pc-software/compressing-dsd-files-with-wavpack-5/

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #409 of 578
(Off Topic :smile_phones:)

I see that persuasive statement made often, that Modern Phone + DAC/AMP > Dedicated DAP. I guess it really depends on how you look at it.

If you’re streaming Qobuz in Hi Res or Tidal in MQA, then storage space on your phone is a moot point, so yeah sure, go with the DAC/AMP over USB.

If you’ve got a collection approaching a terabyte or more of offline flac & DSD, getting an OEM to sell you that much flash storage out the gate, or ponying up an extra couple hundred for a 1TB microSD (if your phone even has expandable storage), a phone being the source of your music collection starts to be less than ideal. If one’s pockets are bottomless, congratulations! A 1/2 terabyte equipped iPhone XS goes for upwards of a stack. Half a terabyte in microSD is <1/10 the price.

This couple year old DAP can be bought and stocked with 2 512gb cards for less than the cost it sold as new! I realize that’s not so much a value inherent to the device as it is just a blessing to this stubborn audiophile as time passes.
I got a better bang for my buck by installing 2 smaller cards I don't need my whole Flac and SACD collection on my device....

Apr 22, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #410 of 578
I hope someone here will have a solution for me. The latest version of the Tidal app is not playing songs properly anymore. Master MQA are choppy and are unplayable even the downloaded ones! The Hi-Fi ones also pause. Things play better un the UAPP app but they still pause sometimes. Is there a fix for this? It’s super annoying because the main reason I got the X5iii was to stream Hi-Fi/MQA music. Yes I have the latest Kernel with all the bells and whistles installed. Device now is much more responsive and generally works better but still I cannot get high-quality music streaming to work properly.

thanks,

Tal

Apr 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #411 of 578
I hope someone here will have a solution for me. The latest version of the Tidal app is not playing songs properly anymore. Master MQA are choppy and are unplayable even the downloaded ones! The Hi-Fi ones also pause. Things play better un the UAPP app but they still pause sometimes. Is there a fix for this? It’s super annoying because the main reason I got the X5iii was to stream Hi-Fi/MQA music. Yes I have the latest Kernel with all the bells and whistles installed. Device now is much more responsive and generally works better but still I cannot get high-quality music streaming to work properly.

thanks,

Tal

You will enjoy the real performance of the kernel and wifi connection when you get rid of the GAPPS burden after 2-3 days after installing UAPP. Same with DLNA or Foobar UPnP streaming.
It's a steel ball on a chain for the system.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #412 of 578
You will enjoy the real performance of the kernel and wifi connection when you get rid of the GAPPS burden after 2-3 days after installing UAPP. Same with DLNA or Foobar UPnP streaming.
It's a steel ball on a chain for the system.
Thanks for your reply. UAPP is starting to stream and unfold MQA more consistently now. So I’m noticing improvement. Why is this not instant? How is waiting a few days making this better? Is the OS cashing commonly used files to improve performance? Will the Tidal App start working better as well. Or should I side load an older version so I can listen to offline downloaded music?
Cheers,

Tal

Apr 23, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #413 of 578
Thanks for your reply. UAPP is starting to stream and unfold MQA more consistently now. So I’m noticing improvement. Why is this not instant? How is waiting a few days making this better? Is the OS cashing commonly used files to improve performance? Will the Tidal App start working better as well. Or should I side load an older version so I can listen to offline downloaded music?
Cheers,

Tal

I don't know if we understood each other correctly. GAPPS is a intended Google package - Google Play, framework etc. I'm afraid that, like MS Windows, it blocks part of the connection band for updates and the like, including permanent operation in memory. It's just my speculation.

Apr 23, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #414 of 578
I don't know if we understood each other correctly. GAPPS is a intended Google package - Google Play, framework etc. I'm afraid that, like MS Windows, it blocks part of the connection band for updates and the like, including permanent operation in memory. It's just my speculation.
So other than installing the new kernel. how do I rid the device of the unnecessary GAPPS. What is safe to disable. I'm already using Grenify with all the options turned on as it has superuser privileges...

Thanks,

Tal
BTW: I installed an older Tidal app version 2.11 (the second one that allowed MQA) and it did not help :frowning2:
It used to play MQA files somewhat OK now it is totally choppy totally unlistenable. As if the ROM buffering is totally out of sync...

Apr 23, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #415 of 578
Did you already use the "disable unnecessary system applications" options in the kernel installer? (Recommend 'Average' setting, just don't forget to scrub the backups from /system/app/X-Backup. They still take up space once disabled.)

Using the 'Complete' setting would remove Google Account Manager, Google Services Framework, Google Play Services, & Google Play Store. (backups still remain in X-Backup folder)

This should ONLY be done if your purchased apps & music players have their license information permanently cached, AND can install updates via .apk (such as PowerAmp & Neutron, but NOT UAPP).

Unfortunately Tidal standalone app requires google play services to be running and updated otherwise it alerts you to do so.

UAPP doesn't seem to have any issue with accessing Tidal streaming when these google apps are disabled/frozen, however.

So, using Titanium Backup you can freeze those four google apps (assigning them a filter makes this more convenient).

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #416 of 578
So other than installing the new kernel. how do I rid the device of the unnecessary GAPPS. What is safe to disable. I'm already using Grenify with all the options turned on as it has superuser privileges...

Thanks,

Tal
BTW: I installed an older Tidal app version 2.11 (the second one that allowed MQA) and it did not help :frowning2:
It used to play MQA files somewhat OK now it is totally choppy totally unlistenable. As if the ROM buffering is totally out of sync...

In TWRP, it is good to save a backup of the complete system, including GAPPS and installed purchased applications. After a successful backup, reinstall the kernel and select the option to completely uninstall system applications. IN TWRP can restore the original state from the backup. Even when installing the kernel, it is possible to restore the uninstalled parts.

Apr 27, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #418 of 578
Hi there,
I'm running the custom kernel.
I wonder if USB DAC still available into the kernel mod.
I'm looking to use the X5III as a DAC from my windows 10 computer.
Thanks
Why doesn't he test it himself ? Switches the Storage mode to the DAC in the quick menu and play ..
Works under Windows, MacOS and Linux. Blunt Windows requires the installation of a USB driver

Apr 28, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #420 of 578
Unfortunately I can't see the dac mode, only mass storage, MTP and PPT modes...
Swipe down from the top of the screen.
You should see in the second row a button that either reads "Storage" or "USB DAC" which changes with a click of the icon.
Screenshot_20200428-001945.png

Attachments

• X5 3rd Gen Complete User Manual.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back