Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Jun 4, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #91 of 575
Correct, I did all that you listed above 3x, after installing/flashing SuperSu, it hangs every time. Just to clarify, there are two options to wipe dalvik/cache, one checkbox I believe says wipe dalvik/cache and the second one says cache, in that step we are only checking one box correct ?
If there’s an issue with not enough space in the system partition still, you might also try deleting the built in EsFileManager.apk under /system/preinstall in TWRP.

There is a wipe cache button that shows up immediately after flashing a zip. You want to execute that wipe and/or go to Wipe tab, hit advanced wipe, check dalvik cache and cache boxes, swipe to wipe. Then go to advanced tab, fix permissions, do not check fix SE Linux contents box, just swipe to wipe, then hit reboot.

Sorry for sounding like a broken record with these steps. It’s a fickle thing and unless you have paid for an advanced Fidelizer ROM there’s negligible use for it in the end. If you have the free time to try stock 1.2.4 and it works? Then it was a case of a wonky state of affairs with your player and its rom. If it doesn’t work there either, then there’s something wrong with the process you’re going through.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #92 of 575
If there’s an issue with not enough space in the system partition still, you might also try deleting the built in EsFileManager.apk under /system/preinstall in TWRP.

There is a wipe cache button that shows up immediately after flashing a zip. You want to execute that wipe and/or go to Wipe tab, hit advanced wipe, check dalvik cache and cache boxes, swipe to wipe. Then go to advanced tab, fix permissions, do not check fix SE Linux contents box, just swipe to wipe, then hit reboot.

Sorry for sounding like a broken record with these steps. It’s a fickle thing and unless you have paid for an advanced Fidelizer ROM there’s negligible use for it in the end. If you have the free time to try stock 1.2.4 and it works? Then it was a case of a wonky state of affairs with your player and its rom. If it doesn’t work there either, then there’s something wrong with the process you’re going through.

WitzyZed I truly appreciate all the help, thanks for hanging in there with me. I will continue to tinker and try and get up to the most recent kernal.

It also goes without saying jkbuha, you are the f#cking man, Ive owned this player for 3 years now, and I don't think Ive gone one day without a FiiO crash and burn. I average 4 hours+ per day of use, this player has not crashed once since the kernal upgrade.

The speed of the player is amazing, like someone shocked this thang on the table as it was on the ropes.

I used to crash this thing by touching and scrolling, advancing tracks too fast, now its a beast. FiiO wake up and smell the sativa, these gents are saving ppl from abandoning your brand.

New FiiO music player, gets a 5/10 from me, still desperately need proper EQ and sound field adjustments that were served up by Viper.

FiiO link is genius, controlling the player from my phone is a game changer, can't wait for full functionality with link, aka eq adjustments, full access to settings, etc.

And if your still on the sidelines thinking about baking that kernal, giddy up its a no brainer.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #93 of 575
Thanks, but unless @FiiO change their open source strategy (and/or someone puts legal pressure on them to do so), the X5 will be the last FiiO player I (or anyone else) will make custom kernels for.

The (legal technical) reason is that after releasing the full source code for the X5iii, FiiO stopped releasing their contributions to the kernel source code for the X7/M6/M9/M11. Which effectively means that there's no way to properly build the kernel for the X7 or the M11 for example, because the FiiO-specific portions of the kernel code are not published.

Needless to say this is quite disconcerting, and it's a bit of a grey area whether it's actually legal or not. I can understand the closed source portions not being released (such as the system ROM) but the kernel is governed by GPLv2 which is clear about releasing code for the greater good. Which is also why my kernel source code and binaries are fully published and - importantly - will always be free.

Notwithstanding if this continues I'll be discouraged from making custom kernels for the FiiO players and move to working with vendors such as @Paul - iBasso or @Cayin, that understand the importance of supporting the development community by releasing the full source code for the players; ie increase userbase loyalty and also attract new users from other players. Not to mention third-level support for new and existing hardware...

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #94 of 575
Thanks, but unless @FiiO change their open source strategy (and/or someone puts legal pressure on them to do so), the X5 will be the last FiiO player I (or anyone else) will make custom kernels for.

The (legal technical) reason is that after releasing the full source code for the X5iii, FiiO stopped releasing their contributions to the kernel source code for the X7/M6/M9/M11. Which effectively means that there's no way to properly build the kernel for the X7 or the M11 for example, because the FiiO-specific portions of the kernel code are not published.

Needless to say this is quite disconcerting, and it's a bit of a grey area whether it's actually legal or not. I can understand the closed source portions not being released (such as the system ROM) but the kernel is governed by GPLv2 which is clear about releasing code for the greater good. Which is also why my kernel source code and binaries are fully published and - importantly - will always be free.

Notwithstanding if this continues I'll be discouraged from making custom kernels for the FiiO players and move to working with vendors such as @Paul - iBasso or @Cayin, that understand the importance of supporting the development community by releasing the full source code for the players; ie increase userbase loyalty and also attract new users from other players. Not to mention third-level support for new and existing hardware...

At least I know where to look in the future when choosing a new DAP, even though my X5- face indestructible. Anyway, it was a higher power that led you to choose this player and made us all users enthusiastic users of this great flash machine.
Sometimes I look at forum X7 and X7 II, and when I see it despair ..

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #96 of 575
Yes May 28th is the latest version of the kernel (V3.2). You can tell the kernel build version from the #32 number near the build date.

Which reminds me - Version 3.3 is coming soon, it will mostly be a performance-only build with some great new kernel optimizations for speed and responsiveness (who knew you could hand-tune android kernels this much....).

Jun 11, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #98 of 575
The scripts posted that disable system EQ, does that affect FiiO music or is it a script that gives you a more neutral sound field as a base point ?

Short Answer: Yes, disabling system EQ will affect FiiO music, and any other software player that doesn't output directly to the hardware. Because most android players don't communicate directly with the hardware and go via anything installed in soundfx. (Neutron, UAPP, Poweramp and foobar are notable exceptions if configured properly)

Long Answer: That option removes the soundfx files and stores them in a safe folder on the sdcard in case you want to restore the files in future. The way the EQ works in android is to provide a (mostly lossy) layer of sound processing between the PCM waveforms and the output hardware (headphone, lineout, DAC). The purist view is to remove this intermediate layer and 'process' the sound wave once it's in analog format in the output stage. Or not. It really comes down to personal taste, but with systemEQ disabled the sound does feel 'cleaner', but more sterile as well.

Jun 12, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #99 of 575
Short Answer: Yes, disabling system EQ will affect FiiO music, and any other software player that doesn't output directly to the hardware. Because most android players don't communicate directly with the hardware and go via anything installed in soundfx. (Neutron, UAPP, Poweramp and foobar are notable exceptions if configured properly)

Long Answer: That option removes the soundfx files and stores them in a safe folder on the sdcard in case you want to restore the files in future. The way the EQ works in android is to provide a (mostly lossy) layer of sound processing between the PCM waveforms and the output hardware (headphone, lineout, DAC). The purist view is to remove this intermediate layer and 'process' the sound wave once it's in analog format in the output stage. Or not. It really comes down to personal taste, but with systemEQ disabled the sound does feel 'cleaner', but more sterile as well.

Thanks for the explanation, that being said you may still apply EQ w/FiiO musoc, Foobar, etc. The script does not disable the abilty of an app to EQ ?

Jun 12, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #100 of 575
Yes the EQ will still work (it's applied by the player not by the OS). Which incidentally is also why so much audio distortion is introduced by Android (system+player EQ, sometimes even Viper).

Jun 20, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #101 of 575
This saved my Fiio from being thrown away as I was becoming increasingly annoyed with the play\pause issue with disabled screen. This issue is solved with using this kernel. Thanks, great work!

Jun 20, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #102 of 575
For those who are looking for an alternative to FiiO Music one tip - Omnia Music Player. Features and Options on Google Play.
At the end a few options in the pictures
1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png
5.png 6.png 7.png

It makes me a little angry that he costs 3.4 Euros, and unlike UAPP, he recodes PCM at 384 kHz in excellent quality (by dumpsys), downloads artist images, etc. She doesn't have DLNA, Tidal, Quobuz, MQA and other gold-bearing stores - she just plays. The demo version will not allow skin change, EQ and reverb. I wasn't able to try other playback restrictions, I bought too fast. Size 5 Mb
The only pseudo problem - in the audio settings the 16 bit output must be checked - otherwise hissing like the devil.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #103 of 575
This saved my Fiio from being thrown away as I was becoming increasingly annoyed with the play\pause issue with disabled screen. This issue is solved with using this kernel. Thanks, great work!

Yes, this was one of a few quick wins under the (custom kernel) hood, though I'd like this code to be cleaned up a bit better to cover all scenarios.

Kernel v3.3 is ready to be pushed out, just waiting on prispewnic to come back from holidays and implement changes to the aroma installer, then this version will be released.

Jun 21, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #104 of 575
Yes, this was one of a few quick wins under the (custom kernel) hood, though I'd like this code to be cleaned up a bit better to cover all scenarios.

Kernel v3.3 is ready to be pushed out, just waiting on prispewnic to come back from holidays and implement changes to the aroma installer, then this version will be released.

Sorry, my post on fixed issue with pause was a bit premature. I still have it even on the new kernel. Does anyone have the same?

Jun 21, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #105 of 575
Sorry, my post on fixed issue with pause was a bit premature. I still have it even on the new kernel. Does anyone have the same?

You’re describing the pause on lock screen issue, yes? (Specific to FiiO music in Pure Music Mode)

Install this apk: http://fiio-file.fiio.net/FiiOMusicX0508.apk

This fixed issues for another user in main X5iii thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back