FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Mar 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #1,666 of 1,895

Also, for those reviewers who have loaded either FW1.15Beta or now FW1.17Beta, are any of you having any problem with the player in Storage or DAC modes?  I can't get my review unit to work properly in either mode and transfer my music by putting the Micro SD card directly into the PC with an adapter.  Both modes work well with the previous FW1.1 which interestingly is not labelled "Beta".

Both 1.15Beta and 1.17Beta have been really solid for me. I couldn't even use 1.1 since it would just crash the instant that i tried to update the library.

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #1,667 of 1,895
  Both 1.15Beta and 1.17Beta have been really solid for me. I couldn't even use 1.1 since it would just crash the instant that i tried to update the library.

Skalkman,

The question I asked is whether your review X5 unit works as an external DAC with a PC and whether it works in Storage mode with FW1.15 and FW1.17.

Many of us are family with the update library crash issues with FW1.1

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,668 of 1,895
  Both 1.15Beta and 1.17Beta have been really solid for me.

^
                                                                                 |

Skalkman,

The question I asked is whether your review X5 unit works as an external DAC with a PC and whether it works in Storage mode with FW1.15 and FW1.17.

Many of us are family with the update library crash issues with FW1.1

Adjective

solid (comparative more solidsuperlative most solid)

• (slang) Excellent, of high quality, or reliable. <--- That's a solid plan.

Radiohead's on tour! Have you heard their latest album yet? It's quite solid.

I don't think Dave would have done that. He's a solid dude.

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #1,669 of 1,895
skalkman

Wow, you are a sensitive soul.  Please accept my sincere apologies.

I will not trouble you further even though I still do not have a specific answer to a specific question.

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #1,670 of 1,895
  skalkman

Wow, you are a sensitive soul.  Please accept my sincere apologies.

I will not trouble you further even though I still do not have a specific answer to a specific question.

Yes, it did work. All features that where present worked flawlessly. Both USB transfer and the DAC function worked out of the box with no hiccups or issues of any kind.

I was just trying to clarify a word that is not a part of my main language without half arsed explanations that wouldn't make any sense. If i came across like a **** then i'm the one that's sorry.

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #1,671 of 1,895
skalkman,  Absolutely no offence taken man !!!

Well It seems I have a problem (Houston?).  I am now wondering whether it is my other gear.  I am using a Mac. But I have tried connecting now on two machines in both OSX 10.9.2 as well as running Win 7 under Bootcamp.  Do I have to pull out my old dusty Windows only PC to see whether my problems are Apple related.

Any of you brother (and sister) reviewers out there with any similar experiences on a Mac running the FW versions 1.15Beta and 1.17Beta on the X5  ??

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #1,672 of 1,895
  skalkman,  Absolutely no offence taken man !!!

Well It seems I have a problem (Houston?).  I am now wondering whether it is my other gear.  I am using a Mac. But I have tried connecting now on two machines in both OSX 10.9.2 as well as running Win 7 under Bootcamp.  Do I have to pull out my old dusty Windows only PC to see whether my problems are Apple related.

Any of you brother (and sister) reviewers out there with any similar experiences on a Mac running the FW versions 1.15Beta and 1.17Beta on the X5  ??

I have tried it on Windows, GNU/Linux (ALSA/PulseAudio with snd-usb-audio) and FreeBSD (OSS4) and the only thing that gave me problems was the USB drivers i was running on FreeBSD. If you want i could possibly try it on my moms MacBook Pro running Lion.

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #1,676 of 1,895

you are right , it is about 25MB per sound track, but you can still use folder play to play the music.  sorry the build in RAM is limited so it is not unlimited .

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand this so I'd like some guidance please.

What I was planning to do with my X5 was fill a couple of 64GB MicroSD cards with about 11,000 songs on them in total, set the play mode to "random" and listen to them all.

Joe Bloggs sadi the limit for file numbers was about 7,000 tracks but James seems to be implying that using the Folder option more tracks will be usable.

Can somebody please tell me if the limit of the X5 is about 7,000 tracks or if my 11,000 will be recognised if I limit the playing to "random mode".

Thank you - sorry if this shows my complete ignorance!

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #1,677 of 1,895
I'm sorry but I don't quite understand this so I'd like some guidance please.

What I was planning to do with my X5 was fill a couple of 64GB MicroSD cards with about 11,000 songs on them in total, set the play mode to "random" and listen to them all.

Joe Bloggs sadi the limit for file numbers was about 7,000 tracks but James seems to be implying that using the Folder option more tracks will be usable.

Can somebody please tell me if the limit of the X5 is about 7,000 tracks or if my 11,000 will be recognised if I limit the playing to "random mode".

Thank you - sorry if this shows my complete ignorance!

Hello,

The X5 supports an unlimited number of songs in folder browsing mode. Unfortunately, folder browsing does not support shuffling through all songs on the player (you can shuffle through all songs in the selected directory (but not its subdirectories, so you can't, e.g. select the root directory of a card to shuffle through all its songs).

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 22, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #1,679 of 1,895
  Thank you Joe that's really helpful. Sadly it ends my interest in the X5 - was hoping to buy it as I have great faith in Fiio after buying an X3.

Actually you can achieve exactly what you are after by viewing All Songs (not in folder browser mode), no matter how many on your cards, and then play all the songs in Shuffle mode.

So don't give up yet Mr John !!  
popcorn.gif

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #1,680 of 1,895

Actually you can achieve exactly what you are after by viewing All Songs (not in folder browser mode), no matter how many on your cards, and then play all the songs in Shuffle mode.

So don't give up yet Mr John !!  
popcorn.gif

But that will only shuffle through the songs in the database which is limited to about 7,000 - or am I confused?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back