FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Mar 19, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #1,651 of 1,895
HEY I'm KEEPING the X5 for my last 2 days! I just had a EPIC idea, I'm going to use the X5's Coaxial out to feed my HM801s COAXIAL IN... YEA

It should be brillant, I like the hm801s dac MUCH better than the X5

and I like the X5's UI MUCH better than the Hm801s :D. Should be a fun review... lawl

Hey, could you let us know if there is any X5 equalization control on the coax output?  I know that's a long shot but I keep hoping . . .
rolleyes.gif

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #1,655 of 1,895
Is the Fiio X5 good for hiphop/rap music??

Sure it is. :)

And it's not a silly question either. A DAP with a flat frequency response is what you want, so you get the sub-bass hits and extension for your rap music. Some players suffer what's known as low end roll off, this can effect the bass response and extension.

X5 will do rap music (or any genres) in flying colours.

Mar 20, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #1,657 of 1,895
I was the second person on the USA portion of the X5 tour and considered it a diamond in the rough.  Now I am looking forward to polishing that little jewel since I just pre-ordered the X5 for myself.  It will be my first FiiO product and I am looking forward to watching it become more refined as the firmware gets updated.  I'm confident it will be an excellent DAP!

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #1,659 of 1,895
  I was the second person on the USA portion of the X5 tour and considered it a diamond in the rough.  Now I am looking forward to polishing that little jewel since I just pre-ordered the X5 for myself.  It will be my first FiiO product and I am looking forward to watching it become more refined as the firmware gets updated.  I'm confident it will be an excellent DAP!

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

if only i could afford it, haha, 6 days and counting before i bid goodbye to my sample unit

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #1,660 of 1,895
Newest beta firmware for the X5 is out
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mblm44ux8v2acy7/X5%20FW1.17.zip

I'm not totally up to date on what all these new versions do :xf_eek: I'm guessing this is a stabilized version of the experimental firmware with DSD decoding and 32bit mp3 decoding posted a few days ago?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 21, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #1,662 of 1,895
Newest beta firmware for the X5 is out
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mblm44ux8v2acy7/X5%20FW1.17.zip

I'm not totally up to date on what all these new versions do
redface.gif
I'm guessing this is a stabilized version of the experimental firmware with DSD decoding and 32bit mp3 decoding posted a few days ago?

I just installed it and it does not play or even find my .dsf files.

Hey! Thanks for the share. Is this stable enough? Want to try this new fw version for my x5.. Thanks!
Haven't crashed on me yet. 
wink_face.gif

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #1,663 of 1,895
I have also downloaded and installed "X5FW1.17Beta".  I have the same problem as skalkman.  The X5  will not find my .dsf  files.   I did try an early version Alpha FW on the X5 that played DSD but it was very flaky

But I will say this for you guys, when it was working, DSD on the X5 is simply brilliant.  I ran a few AB tests comparing the same song/track in 192k/24bit FLAC with DSD 2.8MHz DSF files.  The sound quality in DSD is simply amazing !!!  (even for my older ears).  Good one James !!

I will use an SPL meter to set up the two songs and use a second person to assist me to do at least a single blind test of the same songs.  I am trying to figure out how possibly to do a full double blind test.

Also 
  Is the Fiio X5 good for hiphop/rap music??

Sure it is. :)

And it's not a silly question either. A DAP with a flat frequency response is what you want, so you get the sub-bass hits and extension for your rap music. Some players suffer what's known as low end roll off, this can effect the bass response and extension.

X5 will do rap music (or any genres) in flying colours.

I agree with you Luke.  It is not a silly question.  As most reviewers have indicated the X5 is quite neutral, which I prefer.  Also my preferred headphones for this review has been my UE10 in ear monitors which are also very neutral.  The combination gives me the sound as close to the way the recording's sound engineer intended.  The best example of this is the special Alan Parsons mix of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon

I have also been putting a huge range of music through the X5 including opera, classical, choral, acapella, reggae, jazz, punk, pop, rock, new wave, latin, instrumental, blues, heavy metal etc (about the only thing I don't listen to is thrash metal).  The X5 is a fantastic piece of kit. !!  It will undoubtedly hit the sweet spot against the competition with the expected price point.

Also, for those reviewers who have loaded either FW1.15Beta or now FW1.17Beta, are any of you having any problem with the player in Storage or DAC modes?  I can't get my review unit to work properly in either mode and transfer my music by putting the Micro SD card directly into the PC with an adapter.  Both modes work well with the previous FW1.1 which interestingly is not labelled "Beta".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back