FiiO X5 firmware 2.50 download and discussion
Apr 10, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #46 of 313
What have you done? I've ripped my files with iTunes. It works in my Android Smartphone and in the iPod. But in my FIIO there is a small gap.

I didn't do anything. I used the same method of ripping CDs in iTunes as ALAC and AAC and I have no issue with gapless playback. Not sure what's going on here. Did you format your mSD card with the X5? That has been an issue for many problems in the past. It could be a read issue if the card was not formatted with the X5. Just taking a shot in the dark that this may fix the problem as it has fixed many, many issues with reading tracks since the X5 was released.

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #47 of 313
I didn't do anything. I used the same method of ripping CDs in iTunes as ALAC and AAC and I have no issue with gapless playback. Not sure what's going on here. Did you format your mSD card with the X5? That has been an issue for many problems in the past. It could be a read issue if the card was not formatted with the X5. Just taking a shot in the dark that this may fix the problem as it has fixed many, many issues with reading tracks since the X5 was released.

No - he's right Relic.  My X5 and X3ii both play FLAC gapless perfectly.  My aac256 files have a micropause in them though.  Same files on my iPhone5S are true gapless.  It's not much of a pause - not enough to really peeve me off - but people who are maybe slightly more "OCD" than me (meant as a joke for any of you sensitive types 
tongue.gif
) might find it a little more annoying.

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #48 of 313
No - he's right Relic.  My X5 and X3ii both play FLAC gapless perfectly.  My aac256 files have a micropause in them though.  Same files on my iPhone5S are true gapless.  It's not much of a pause - not enough to really peeve me off - but people who are maybe slightly more "OCD" than me (meant as a joke for any of you sensitive types :p ) might find it a little more annoying.

Really? I'll upload 'The Wall' and double check. I MOSTLY have ALAC so I may not have noticed it before.

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #49 of 313
I haven't tried it with ALAC  - so maybe the lossless version is working OK, and its just the aac lossy files?  I haven't tried yet with mp3.

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #50 of 313
I've finally converted the ALAC to AAC and yup there is a gap. Cross referenced with my ALAC version and can confirm, no gaps with the lossless ALAC.

Well that's disappointing for those that listen to lossy versions.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #51 of 313
I listen to DJ MP3 Mixes @320kbps and find that there is a gap when moving from one tune to the next. I don't get this gap on my mac or iPhone.

This gap has been there on all FW versions.

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #53 of 313
Apr 11, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #54 of 313
  What i really would love is gapeless playback with shuffle on. this was never with any firmware, an i really would need it.

The very nature of gapless means this would be impossible.  Gapless means flowing. The albums that are gapless are often live recordings or specifically mastered so that one track flows to the next (Floyd are famous for it).  I can see why Relic posted the GIF above. Are you actually being serious Grant?

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #56 of 313

No - he's right Relic.  My X5 and X3ii both play FLAC gapless perfectly.  My aac256 files have a micropause in them though.  Same files on my iPhone5S are true gapless.  It's not much of a pause - not enough to really peeve me off - but people who are maybe slightly more "OCD" than me (meant as a joke for any of you sensitive types 
tongue.gif
) might find it a little more annoying.

Is it possible, that you like stumbling Trance Music? But I'm cleverer now, I know what OCD is. Thanks!

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #57 of 313
  At first I thought I noticed a difference in SQ between 2.4 and 2.5. However, I decided to check it. After selecting a few detailed songs, I started listening to them trying to catch the most important parts, details. Downgraded to 2.4 and it sounded the same. I swapped the firmware 3-4 times, and really it's exactly the same. Maybe the sound things are written somewhere so that we cannot revert an update? Only the most basic elements of the firmware can be downgraded?

So maybe BEFORE updating, try to find out as much about the SQ. Then immediately update, try to spot the differences and share with us.

I'm a basshead.
My sig...

I had to be very creative with the eq in order to get a bass displays like this

I did a review and noted the harshness over 4k. That vid has 4,500 views now. I was irked....it was not a bad review but...meh.

This thread got pointed out to me and all I am thinking is " **** I gotta lotta work to do now with upgrading themes and stuff"...

Update...(never saw the new theme visually but confirmed it was on there and then played it)

The harshness was gone and they were kinda quiet. I had to double check everything because it immediately jumped out at me. I'm in the middle of themer mode with multiple windows open and suddenly the sound sig change stole my focus 100%. I skip meals and delay toilet trips when in themeing mode so something has to be in my face to take my focus.

My Fiio came with 2.35 or 2.36? I think 2.36. After upgrading to 2.40 something seemed odd and I had to do the cut eq style without option. It wasn't negotiable. To get high impact bass those highs had to be cut to -6. Now I'm back where I was but even better.  I just did a vid showing my trip to a Japanese headphone shop and I have my X5/C5 in portable mode like always and I am "A" "B"ing the Sony Z5,A3,A2. They are in the same display and I'm looping a 16 second cut from a track switching in seconds.

Even in that ideal situation it's a task to nail down exactly what is missing from one vs the other if anything with accuracy. I would never try it with fw changes as the memory is too ...man...I couldn't really see but when I wasn't trying and I was focusing on how to upgrade my mods (my 1st time)...I got struck instantly.
It wasn't even hard to tell. The highs are smoother. There is a spike looking for a home right now...maybe 2?

I'm of the opinion that the 2.50 is the most sonically mature version of the X5 since I have owned it. It is spectacular. I sent the ADMIN a message quick to see if I could re-do my review and I did and changed it to 5 stars.  I am not allowed in X5 thread. I never questioned it. i am an owner. It irked me. Maybe it made me regret my purchase for a while but I never asked and don't care.....now.

Cuz it sounds awesome. Pink Floyd? I don't even need the eq for Dark Side of the moon. I did before. Bass? I gotta reconfigure that and it will take hours of repeated listening and tweaking and re-tweaking. I'm happy as **** though cuz it doesn't even need an eq sometimes. I could never say that before.

Just one dudes opinion but....my X5 never sounded better and that revelation came while I had 5 litegui files open and was getting confused as to which thing I was on...cat fight outside...stomach grumbling....PM asking for a custom....and in that scenario I am sitting and staring at my X5 in utter confusion. Happy confusion.

Am i the only one who did a double take when first listening to the new fw??

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #58 of 313
Oh I guarantee that there will be two camps yet again - those that swear there is a difference, and those that swear it sounds the same.  Both will be adamant.  Fiio won't say anything - so we'll never have a definitive answer.  And unfortunately no-one I know has two X5's - so they can volume match, play the same files, and fast switch.

So in the meantime - the discussion will be anecdotal and rely on human auditory memory (which has proven to be poor).

FWIW - I don't hear a change.  But I could be wrong, as I don't have two X5's to listen to side-by-side either.

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #60 of 313
Oh I guarantee that there will be two camps yet again - those that swear there is a difference, and those that swear it sounds the same.  Both will be adamant.  Fiio won't say anything - so we'll never have a definitive answer.  And unfortunately no-one I know has two X5's - so they can volume match, play the same files, and fast switch.

So in the meantime - the discussion will be anecdotal and rely on human auditory memory (which has proven to be poor).

FWIW - I don't hear a change.  But I could be wrong, as I don't have two X5's to listen to side-by-side either.

Wouldn't it be possible to measure the difference by recording the output for the same track twice, then use some program to measure frequency & loudness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back