fiio x5 e12 combo
Sep 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #20 of 32
I saw a store in Dubai offering a great price on fiio x5 with e12, i read a lot of reviews here that x5 alone has a great sound quality.
My question is, Is it necessary to amp the x5 since it is already a good sounding rig. I'm using ipod classic 160gb+e17+westone w60. I'm planning to buy the fiio x5 without the e12 and more discount if x5 alone. Which better amp, the E17+x5 or the E12+x5.
Audiophile experts your opinion please.
Thank you very much

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #21 of 32
You don't need to amp the X5, its own amp is powerful enough to drive most headphones.

Also, combining the x5 with e 12 is better than the x5 with the e17. The e17 has the added feature of also being a DAC, but you can already use the X5 as a DAC, and the e12 is a superior amp.

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #22 of 32
You don't need to amp the X5, its own amp is powerful enough to drive most headphones.

Also, combining the x5 with e 12 is better than the x5 with the e17. The e17 has the added feature of also being a DAC, but you can already use the X5 as a DAC, and the e12 is a superior amp.
I keep trying to amp my x5 but keep coming back to it not amped. I tink solo it sounds better

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #25 of 32
I have never tried the w60, but they are rated at 25 Ohms. The fiio x5 can drive headphones in the 16-300 ohm range. It will drive your w60 with no issue.

You may even obtain better results driving the w60 directly through the x5 than through the e12. This is because the e12 is very powerful, and IEM (in ear monitors) headphones, such as yours, are very sensitive and easy to drive. This means a very powerful amp would create noise on your headphones.

So get the x5 with confidence, i'm sure you'll enjoy the results !

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #27 of 32
My x5 just arrived last night and i tried it. I played flac musics 44.1khz/16bits and paired with my W60. Im not impressed with sounds. The separation is there but Treble is not good enough unlike with my ipod classic+e17 is noticeable. I try my ie80 the sounds makes difference good bass and treble but did not compete with my ipod+e17. The x5 needs to be burn to get the good sounding. If i pair it with the e12 does the sounds will be difference. My w60 is produce a very sounding with my ipod but in x5 i am little bit disappointed. What are the best music files for x5

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #28 of 32
My x5 just arrived last night and i tried it. I played flac musics 44.1khz/16bits and paired with my W60. Im not impressed with sounds. The separation is there but Treble is not good enough unlike with my ipod classic+e17 is noticeable. I try my ie80 the sounds makes difference good bass and treble but did not compete with my ipod+e17. The x5 needs to be burn to get the good sounding. If i pair it with the e12 does the sounds will be difference. My w60 is produce a very sounding with my ipod but in x5 i am little bit disappointed. What are the best music files for x5

After using it with my two iem's for several days, i found that the x5 produces a good sounds. For now it sounds great on both headphones. My first impression in the x5 changes. Its like the phones need sometime for burning. Now Im very happy for the performance. Fiio thumbs up for you.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #29 of 32
I'm deciding if I want to add an external DAC or AMP to my X5 with Beyer DT770 80 ohm (and CD quality flac files).

I just switched from using iPhone + $75 sony ear buds with iTunes downloads, so I've obviously seen a huge improvement from that. But I assume at some point there are diminishing benefits from improving my equipment.

(1) How much better is a Schiit Modi 2 or Bitfrost vs. the DAC in the X5? (and what is key benefit of Bitfrost over Magni2?) - I assume the X5 DAC is better than any of the other Fiio DACs.

(2) How much benefit will I hear with an 80 ohm headphone (DT770) if I add a Fiio E12, or a Schiit Magni 2 (or Vali or Asgard 2 if worth it).

Just trying to get my head around all of this - Thanks.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #30 of 32
^ any of those schiit will beat any portable amp/dac in that price ranges and they have been known for rivaling with even top tier desktop amp/dac. Get E12 if you need portable use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back