Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
Feb 13, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #1,351 of 2,614

Won't the emphasis on Cds put the turntable for Now Playing out of context?
The trouble is a CD player is very dull compared to a turntable - maybe the CD in an open tray would look better?

I was thinking the CD's and mSD/TF cards were a tilt towards the newer tech so the CD pulled from the category and being marked as the one containing favorites would tilt a balance already tilted leaving the turntable a nod to the old school audiophile purist.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #1,354 of 2,614
Heads up to the modders............. I changed all the colors in the config.ini file to see what exactly they are associated with as at first glance they seem to do nothing.

Turns out they change the warnings and alert font colours as well as the Album, Artist, Genre, and Playlist name font colours when you enter one of the above categories. That's it though.

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #1,356 of 2,614
Analog tweaks incoming.

I wasn't truly happy with the functionality of the main menu meter and the battery bar. The meter felt too small and the battery bar covered up too much functional information such as displaying what EQ is active while playing a track (was caught by this a couple times). Moved the battery percentage back to its original place.

I also did an EQ that I like better than the one I did earlier with just a black BG. Check out the active button. I can not do a glow on the top as well as the bottom of the slider because the FW references the top of the slider image for the position of the slider, so it offsets the slider if I place anything above the slider.

Because I need to use a non-black image for the EQ I also am using a slight texture for other backgrounds. Nothing special but it gives the menus some flavour.

Hawaiibadboy don't scream at me for not doing a video!! :D

Working on startup and shutdown animations............. I also want to change all of the icons given how nice previous modders icons have turned out, but it's always about time available.............

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #1,357 of 2,614
Analog tweaks incoming.

I wasn't truly happy with the functionality of the main menu meter and the battery bar. The meter felt too small and the battery bar covered up too much functional information such as displaying what EQ is active while playing a track (was caught by this a couple times). Moved the battery percentage back to its original place.

I also did an EQ that I like better than the one I did earlier with just a black BG. Check out the active button. I can not do a glow on the top as well as the bottom of the slider because the FW references the top of the slider image for the position of the slider, so it offsets the slider if I place anything above the slider.

Because I need to use a non-black image for the EQ I also am using a slight texture for other backgrounds. Nothing special but it gives the menus some flavour.

@Hawaiibadboy don't scream at me for not doing a video!!
biggrin.gif

Working on startup and shutdown animations............. I also want to change all of the icons given how nice previous modders icons have turned out, but it's always about time available.............

I'm usually not a fan of these kinds of themes, but this is coming along GREAT! good job

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #1,358 of 2,614
Something a bit off topic I wanted to share with you guys. I was getting really annoyed everytime I had to remove the cable that came with my X5 stacking kit (the silver cable) because it wouldn't fit in my Fiio case. So I decided to do a test and see if the silver cable was at all any better than the original copper one

Tests were done using REW V5

I tested both with the bass boost on, and off. 3 tests for each cable, a total of 6 for each cable

Phase:

Even zoomed in at a 0.1dB scale, absolutely no difference

So, from these measurements, it does indeed seem like there is absolutely no difference between the audio reproduction between silver and copper cables (as I had suspected). However, to be fair, this has only been a single test, and only 1 sample of each cable type was used

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #1,359 of 2,614
I'm usually not a fan of these kinds of themes, but this is coming along GREAT! good job

Thanks. :beerchug:

I find the graphical / icon based themes like yours to be easy on the eyes and very functional, but I simply have no interest in doing layouts and icons for countless iterations until I get it right.

Each modder has a different flavour and I think that adds a lot of choice for X5 owners from all walks of life. One of my favorite themes was the Matrix theme, but in the end it was too busy for me so I am trying to stay away from over complicating my themes, which unfortunately is how analog started out.

When I'm supervising artists on a project everyone brings their own flavour to the mix which adds to the quality of the overall project. The X5 themes are like a giant global collaboration to me where we are all feeding off each other's ideas and then seeing what we can do ourselves to add to it.

Inspiration breeds inspiration.

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #1,360 of 2,614
Originally Posted by x RELIC x /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Analog tweaks incoming.

@Hawaiibadboy don't scream at me for not doing a video!!
biggrin.gif

I can wait
biggrin.gif

I spent 7 days working on a mod called "widescreen" with some awesome images but it used 7 toggle switches which ate up 64px (which is why the images were like widescreen) but love the bigger "Hi-Fi" so i just wasted a week.
mad.gif
  Am back to OCD'ing on Hi-Fi and will release revisions so a person can go back to a previous one while I explore the limits of modding. Cannot OCD on multiple themes so I am back to the original fullscreen concept.

I Love the enlargement of the meter. I can imagine you negotiating with yourself whether or not to let that go off screen at the top. That's like hours of debate in my mind. You made the right choice IMO.

Love the EQ!!.

I'll do a vid for the archive no matter what when it's done.
I will have a set list of what I go through *timestamped*  so a viewer can see where what they want is in a vid.
It'll be more organized.
They will all get re-done

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #1,361 of 2,614
........................ [snip]

So, from these measurements, it does indeed seem like there is absolutely no difference between the audio reproduction between silver and copper cables (as I had suspected). However, to be fair, this has only been a single test, and only 1 sample of each cable type was used

Lol. And I swore up and down that I heard a (unexpected) difference when I used the FiiO L16 cable.

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #1,363 of 2,614
.................... [snip]

I Love the enlargement of the meter. I can imagine you negotiating with yourself whether or not to let that go off screen at the top. That's like hours of debate in my mind. You made the right choice IMO.

Love the EQ!!.

I have 6 versions of the meter with about 20 pixels of difference between them. Yup, it was tough. Lol!

When we go to edit our footage we have a saying....... 'Slaughter your babies', meaning if it doesnt contribute then get rid of it.

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #1,364 of 2,614
Thanks.
beerchug.gif

I find the graphical / icon based themes like yours to be easy on the eyes and very functional, but I simply have no interest in doing layouts and icons for countless iterations until I get it right.

Each modder has a different flavour and I think that adds a lot of choice for X5 owners from all walks of life. One of my favorite themes was the Matrix theme, but in the end it was too busy for me so I am trying to stay away from over complicating my themes, which unfortunately is how analog started out.

When I'm supervising artists on a project everyone brings their own flavour to the mix which adds to the quality of the overall project. The X5 themes are like a giant global collaboration to me where we are all feeding off each other's ideas and then seeing what we can do ourselves to add to it.

Inspiration breeds inspiration.

I have a strong distaste for busy themes too. But I find this one to be pretty much spot on in the balance between busy and functionality

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #1,365 of 2,614
Lol. And I swore up and down that I heard a (unexpected) difference when I used the FiiO L16 cable.

lol, it's crazy how powerful the power of suggestion can be...even if we subconsciously suggest it to ourselves

Users who are viewing this thread

Back