Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
Feb 6, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #1,263 of 2,614
Right gents,

Thought it's time to share a beta with you guys. There are still quite a lot of changes to be made...but this should give you an idea of what I'm going for.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/f3c0w61obm5fpd7/Modern_Material_beta.zip

be sure to check out:
EQ
player shortcuts
Settings toggles
categories and browser shortcuts

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #1,265 of 2,614
Love it Theo!

One thing missing (by taking out the text on the top bar) is the notification of whether you have EQ engaged or not when a track is playing. Not sure if this can be added without unduly affecting over all theme.  Love all the original icons too.

Can't wait to see the final - what is still to go?

- Start-up?
- Shutdown?
- USB plug and unplug?
- Maybe top bar (use the gold in the battery icon for amount remaining)?

BTW - your EQ screen looks really nice too.  Love its simplicity and minimalistic elegance.

Really looking forward to seeing the final.

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,266 of 2,614
  Love it Theo!

One thing missing (by taking out the text on the top bar) is the notification of whether you have EQ engaged or not when a track is playing. Not sure if this can be added without unduly affecting over all theme.  Love all the original icons too.

Can't wait to see the final - what is still to go?

- Start-up?
- Shutdown?
- USB plug and unplug?
- Maybe top bar (use the gold in the battery icon for amount remaining)?

BTW - your EQ screen looks really nice too.  Love its simplicity and minimalistic elegance.

Really looking forward to seeing the final.

Thanks for the feedback.

To be honest, I really don't care for not being able to see which EQ is selected (since I never use the EQ). I would've left it, if I was able to change the colour though.

I'm not really sure what to say about Fiio at this point. I am super grateful that they have given us the tools to make themes possible.....BUT, they've really gotta sort some stuff out. Whoever they got to do the programming has not done a very good job. I get a feeling that they got someone with very little experience, or more than one person and there was very little communication between them.

There are a number of elements inside the theme which aren't used (some icons or other images). Also, there are images used for different screens in the UI which should be identical, but they're not. There are quite a number of inconsistencies. 

I still don't understand why it was made such that some images cannot be made larger, why some colours cannot be changed, or the positions of some elements cannot be altered, etc.

Anyways, things that still need to be done is finalising the volume screen, start up and shut down, icons on the top bar, warning and other message dialogs, charging and USB screen, and the DAC screen

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #1,267 of 2,614
Thanks bro!
Keep that version as I already switched to the pic above cuz I just love the old album sleeves image and I can read the numbers but it's not optimal and not final so just keep what you got:D

EDIT

Switched again....:frowning2:

Switched again for the last time till I figure out how to increase the size a bit.

****runs around in circles for 6 hours****

The volume interaction/tie into the theme is an issue....and me and the X5 are working it out.
Will do, all saved. If I didn't know any better, I would say everyone has become just a tad too obsessed with polishing off their themes :) Fiio should be over the moon that people are that into their player that they're skipping meals and sleeps to get things right.

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,268 of 2,614
Thanks for the feedback.

To be honest, I really don't care for not being able to see which EQ is selected (since I never use the EQ). I would've left it, if I was able to change the colour though.

I'm not really sure what to say about Fiio at this point. I am super grateful that they have given us the tools to make themes possible.....BUT, they've really gotta sort some stuff out. Whoever they got to do the programming has not done a very good job. I get a feeling that they got someone with very little experience, or more than one person and there was very little communication between them.

There are a number of elements inside the theme which aren't used (some icons or other images). Also, there are images used for different screens in the UI which should be identical, but they're not. There are quite a number of inconsistencies. 

I still don't understand why it was made such that some images cannot be made larger, why some colours cannot be changed, or the positions of some elements cannot be altered, etc.

Anyways, things that still need to be done is finalising the volume screen, start up and shut down, icons on the top bar, warning and other message dialogs, charging and USB screen, and the DAC screen

You've hit the nail on the head and the FW coders have grown along with FiiO as has been mentioned by James before the release of the X3. The X5 FW needs some cleanup for sure. You should look at the X1 FW and you can see a much better layout, controllability, and overall cleaner FW theme. They can change font size, font color, font position, and generally a more mature FW on the X1. Looking at some of the custom themes over on the X1 thread has me somewhat jealous. I've talked to Joe about adding the text color, position, and size customization to the X5 but have had no response.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that there are many things not possible with this FW and I wasn't just being lazy. Lol. :D Overall it's the sound quality that matters to me and the themes are the icing on the cake. I'm just glad I had the opportunity to customize some themes for some fun.

Btw, I prefer the more subtle look of your theme to your earlier tease and appreciate the custom icons. Much better than stock. I know there is so much work to create and line that all up, which is why I mostly stuck with color changes on the original icons.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #1,270 of 2,614
I wonder, just wonder if we're not heading towards UI convergence once X3 II is released with scroll wheel. If Fiio doesn't release a convergent firmware for X5 soon after X3 II, I'll be very surprised!

I agree. They said that was the plan all along, but to what extent will remain to be seen.

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #1,273 of 2,614
Never saw any announcement of firmware convergence - just assumed the obvious. Where was it announced?

It was mentioned by James in the X3 thread after FW 1.21 before they changed over to the icon based UI. I remember clearly as I thought an icon based layout would be terrible for the button layout on the X3. He said that all FW across their devices would eventually share the same UI base. Looking at the X3 II and the X1 it looks like the layout is the same/very similar.

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #1,274 of 2,614
  Thanks for the feedback.

I get a feeling that they got someone with very little experience, or more than one person and there was very little communication between them.

I couldn't even unpack a FW a month ago but 100 flashes later this is how I'm feeling.

When I found the Artist icon was identical to the Apple one I was starting to get it. The multiple unused screens and the ones used multiple times. It makes no sense.
The "2 Band" Eq code in the files is a big red flag and i wont  get into it but I think some folks rushed some other folks and stuff got lost. Hearing the X1 makes for easy font color and type changes only makes it worse. The guy said that a 90 degree rotation was great idea and took a poll on which one etc etc....and 2.4 was not rotated. X1 is out the box I think?

I removed the name fiio on every spot i could and it does not reflect their image of their units interface with it's owner....which I think they did lazily....rapidly or both.

In Summary:

If I were teaching a class on coding portable devices i would cite this one as a failure. I'd consider their choice to make it accessible to the user a fair reason to cite them

I have spent more time trying to figure out how to do seemingly simple tasks like moving or resizing a knob or changing a top bar text color then executing my theme.

Having made some web pages and playing with xhtml and CSS and the like. I made a gorgeous (some folks said they chose it just by it's gorgeous looks...it looked professional ) simple Homestay website faster than I did this theme...which is not done. That's crazy.

I downloaded your theme and exploded it as i can see what it is even in pieces. Looks good. Love the notations in the .ini files. Good luck with it. I will video it when you think it's ready or it's archived....whichever comes first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back