Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
Jan 26, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #1,038 of 2,614
Visual changelog

Fast switching updated

Volume knob changed

Rocker switches instead of sliders

Easier micro adjust on EQ (hard on old eyes)

All FiiO icons replaced (almost all..need more time)

Missing album art default image

Firmware theme update file>>>>     https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm9crr1vb55w41v/x5.fw?dl=0

Users familiar with archive casual surfers are not and i don't know if my dropbox reflects the updated one but link in this post does.
Enjoy

EDIT: Double posted...not sure what happened?

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #1,039 of 2,614

Just installed on my X5.  Beautiful as always!  

beerchug.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #1,040 of 2,614
Jan 26, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #1,041 of 2,614
[rule]Firmware theme update file>>>>     https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm9crr1vb55w41v/x5.fw?dl=0

Users familiar with archive casual surfers are not and i don't know if my dropbox reflects the updated one but link in this post does.
Enjoy

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Using the link above I get a 404 error
"file moved or deleted".
Just thought I would let you know.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #1,042 of 2,614

Firmware theme update file>>>>     https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm9crr1vb55w41v/x5.fw?dl=0

Enjoy

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Using the link above I get a 404 error
"file moved or deleted".
Just thought I would let you know.

I was using a 3rd party add-on that gave me download stats and it had a 300 download limit then went into pay me mode and killed my dropbox link. I removed it's permission and it should work now.

I was expecting feedback but this thread is a tight circle and constructive criticism is not wanted or given.
I felt like I totally flipped the style and made a new branch on the theme tree but folks don't wanna be supportive. Relic was the only person who showed honesty by saying his mod looked like a cartoon and I saw it that way.
He goes and raises the bar and does a totally different thing based on mine only in competitive spirit way.
(I think if somebody does a toggle switch set of icon/switches on scroll that would be badass but I cannot even have discussions on here.)

I don't wanna get a thumbs up or be anyones friend I wanna be motivated and raise the bar. I already did.
Relic comes along and pushes it up more and I follow with my set of tweaks. The folks who already got the thin skin can ignore me as that is like dealing with kids and I already teach kids all day long so I am not into it.

Bridges burned. Done.

Whoever is downloading this should give some feedback as some folks give bug reports easy and fast but I get nothing.
I paid attention to the memberguest ratio which is 3/11 right as i type this so it musta been a slew of non members who downloaded last night in which case it can't be helped but man it's frustrating to put time into something you like and get no response critical or otherwise. I OP a thread MUCH bigger than this and we don't make clique's outside of being overt bassheads.

This is the internet.....i gotta remember that and not get annoyed but....I get annoyed anyway.

FWIW I think theo and asianinvasion are different in their coordinate skills but I have tried and done what I wanted in that way but just prefer my screen clean so I leave that to them as they kick that stuff very well. It's not my thing though

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,043 of 2,614
We discussed the lack of feedback here even before Hi-Fi was posted. Over 300 downloads and so little feedback could be explained in a number of ways - high volumes of non-members - not wishing to appear negative - just trying out everything there is etc. Maybe some people just agree with what's already been said and don't want to add a +1 post. I think, if you appreciate what someone has done, the least you can do is hit the thumbs up icon.
I tried the theme and gave you some feedback. A theme without a launcher is not going to be for me. Relying on FiiO's unchangeable text colour for navigation is going to alienate anyone with poor eyesight as in general spectacles and over ear headphones do not go well. A set of large icons which remain distinguishable in somewhat blurred vision will always win out.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #1,044 of 2,614
  We discussed the lack of feedback here even before Hi-Fi was posted. Over 300 downloads and so little feedback could be explained in a number of ways - high volumes of non-members - not wishing to appear negative - just trying out everything there is etc. Maybe some people just agree with what's already been said and don't want to add a +1 post. I think, if you appreciate what someone has done, the least you can do is hit the thumbs up icon.
I tried the theme and gave you some feedback. A theme without a launcher is not going to be for me. Relying on FiiO's unchangeable text colour for navigation is going to alienate anyone with poor eyesight as in general spectacles and over ear headphones do not go well. A set of large icons which remain distinguishable in somewhat blurred vision will always win out.

I know folks attached to the icons will look elsewhere. Like I said. Soft pastels and stuff like theo and asian do are beautiful but feel too itune'ish to me so the different strokes for different folks thing.

The lack of being able to change that top bar into a clear/transparent and change the color of the text is a rock that is blocking me from taking my next step. If that thing has to be there in order to give up the icons I gotta eat it but it would be nice to make it clear and gold.
There is a user .ini that is blank whick leads me to wonder but putting in instructions to auto hide the top bar whaen there is no wheel action for 5 seconds seems undoable. It aso annoys that the X1 seems to have some mod abilities that the X5 lacks.

EDIT

I may actually make a version with

5 of these crossing horizontally and each scroll would flick a switch like the Mc moves the VU meter. I might try that as an alternate for folks needing a better visual. I'm fine and prefer no icons but changing to switches instead of icons is a cool challenge

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #1,045 of 2,614

I know folks attached to the icons will look elsewhere. Like I said. Soft pastels and stuff like theo and asian do are beautiful but feel too itune'ish to me so the different strokes for different folks thing.

The lack of being able to change that top bar into a clear/transparent and change the color of the text is a rock that is blocking me from taking my next step. If that thing has to be there in order to give up the icons I gotta eat it but it would be nice to make it clear and gold.
There is a user .ini that is blank whick leads me to wonder but putting in instructions to auto hide the top bar whaen there is no wheel action for 5 seconds seems undoable. It aso annoys that the X1 seems to have some mod abilities that the X5 lacks.

EDIT

I may actually make a version with

5 of these crossing horizontally and each scroll would flick a switch like the Mc moves the VU meter. I might try that as an alternate for folks needing a better visual. I'm fine and prefer no icons but changing to switches instead of icons is a cool challenge

It doesn't seem possible to get rid of the top bar, but the text can be overwritten by, say.. a battery icon...
The user.ini is where all your personal presets go that you lose on a firmware update.

The switch idea is perfectly doable by replacing all the .pngs in the launcher folder in just the same way that others have modded launchers.
An icon is still more powerful visually, than text and a light.

Edit: The icons don't have to be cartoonish. Why not use full frame photos to produce a launcher? This would blend well with the Hi-Fi theme.

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #1,046 of 2,614
  It doesn't seem possible to get rid of the top bar, but the text can be overwritten by, say.. a battery icon...
The user.ini is where all your personal presets go that you lose on a firmware update.

The switch idea is perfectly doable by replacing all the .pngs in the launcher folder in just the same way that others have modded launchers.
An icon is still more powerful visually, than text and a light.

Edit: The icons don't have to be cartoonish. Why not use full frame photos to produce a launcher? This would blend well with the Hi-Fi theme.

I don't mean that in a bad way as it was the way it was put.

I actually wrote a note on a pad infront of me 3 days ago that  a full screen image of all the sections  would work perfect. Saw the russians image mini icons and thought about it again as it is that except full screen. i hate icons and always have my iphones first screen clear. O.C.D much??
biggrin.gif

Finding the right images is hard. I re did my theme 20 times? Ended up back to original besides the epic shutdown with the guy out of focus in the background while the record with a gold label spins. That is just an awesome bookend.
I am satisfied but the fullscreen image per section would be great if i could find a set  I don't want black and white cuz I tried that and I don't wanna brand theme as i spent time getting fiio off my rig....just to throw another brand on for me would be a waste.

If I find a set of goldish sunlit hi-fi pics I'll finish this theme with full screens and I'll be happy since it wont be icons and others will have a huge screen worth of knowing where they are at. Image gigantus...

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #1,048 of 2,614
If I find a set of goldish sunlit hi-fi pics I'll finish this theme with full screens and I'll be happy since it wont be icons and others will have a huge screen worth of knowing where they are at. Image gigantus...

Get your camera out and be creative... wishing you some good sunsets for the perfect light
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #1,049 of 2,614
"Elegance" by @AsianInvasion added, "Hi-Fi" by @Hawaiibadboy updated with a link to the changelog post.

I hope FiiO does open the firmware a bit more to allow modders to be more free in their creative work. What you do with the current limited customizability is really impressive.

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #1,050 of 2,614
Right NOW!!

Like I said earlier I LOVE THIS THEME. At first I thought the green-ish color would be too much, but given the intended brand emulation it works exceedingly well. Also helps with readability.

I went wild with the menu text and used CAPS for everything like the brand that shall not be named. I think it really works.

I also changed the names of the equalizer presets to just read 'EQ-#' which is much more generic. There's no USB screen issues and I'm quite happy with the startup and shutdown animations (nothing special but they suit the theme).

There are two versions in case someone doesn't like the McFiiOtosh label, but I feel it represents the intended brand as you see the logo on all their gear, front and center.

McFiiOtosh link

The original is with the logo and the alt is without.

biggrin.gif

Edit: I left the missing album art out on purpose as I feel it's much more in line with the simple design of the theme.

I just installed this theme and absolutely love it. Here is my feedback if happy to take some of my points on board :)

1) I think the names of the equalizer presets should make a comeback.
2) I personally decided to go for the theme without the logo. For this version, since the McFiiOtosh logo isn't there, the writing representing which menu option is currently selected could be moved down further so it is centrally located between the main "Input Level" graphic and the bottom of the screen. Even better, the main graphic itself could be enlarged so the writing would be pushed down. Either option would avoid dead space.
3) I also think for the Now Playing screen where there is no artwork available, you could make use of the same main screen graphic but so you are only displaying the outline of the input level meter. The whitish/blueish background could go and so could the menu options at the top of the needle.
4) The icons at the very top of the player could do with a reshuffle if that is even possible to ensure the icons are more symmetrical. The SD card logo could move to the left of the battery so it is centrally located between the volume and battery. The Gain logo could similarly move to the right so it is centrally located between the battery and the Play/Pause icon. I also think the volume level could be made slightly more readable compared to the currently faded grey colour.

Of the points mentioned above, I hope point 2 would be considered the most. Thanks for all your efforts :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back