FiiO X5 beta firmware 2.06beta-2.07beta download and discussion: all sorts of sorting improvements!
Jul 9, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #31 of 189
I know a lot of the discussion is focused on the playlists. And rightly so. However. I just upgraded from 2.03 to 2.07. Have the mids/vocals been pushed forward again? Depth can be ruined by doing this. Vocals were pushed foward from 2.0 to 2.02/2.03. The overall sound improved too, so it was a good change I would say.
just throwing this out there for thoughts....and...maybe I am complaining a bit too, sorry
ok, im through

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #32 of 189
I think 2.02 and 2.04 both sounded better than later releases.  Are there two development teams working on these beta releases?  Certainly 2.05 and 2.07 sound different to me.

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #33 of 189
Yep. I agree. Maybe to clarify, I would say there is still depth but now the music is behind and the vocals are up front creating an opposite "depth" effect. It sounds a bit odd to me. 2.0 was good. 2.02/2.03 was an improvement...mids were a little pushed forward but the bass was cleaner. New versions are a regression in sound signature to my ears.

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #34 of 189
deleted :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #35 of 189
Confirming that playlists DO work when encoded as EXTM3U - Joe, you lied to us in your initial rumour!
tongue_smile.gif

Seriously though, thank you so much to you and the Fiio team for your tireless efforts (or continually cracking the whip to motivate the engineers to put in tireless effort). I know there are others in the forums who desire features other than playlists so I hope and trust this is a sign that Fiio will squeeze out every possible (and relatively widely required) feature the X5 can give us. No doubt there will be some things that prove impossible, but I can only assume that all this feedback and Fiio's openness to it might make for one helluva player when the X7 comes out one day!

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #36 of 189
  I think 2.02 and 2.04 both sounded better than later releases.  Are there two development teams working on these beta releases?  Certainly 2.05 and 2.07 sound different to me.

Every time a new firmware version is released people post up about SQ changes.  I seriously doubt that it's getting altered because that's not the issue being addressed with the firmware mods and with no EQ engaged, it's principally a function of the DAC hardware, but without two X5s and an A-B comparison we'll never know.  I have noticed what I believe to be differences in playback volume levels at a specific volume setting between firmware versions and if this is the case it would explain why there are perceived SQ differences between versions.  The discussion of sound quality changes does serve to make me a little paranoid and I have to refrain from reverting back to an earlier beta version to see if i can notice a difference.  It's an interesting psychological experiment in suggestibility - I perceive the beta 2.07 to seem louder than 2.03 at the same volume number on low gain, but it could just be my imagination.

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #37 of 189

Every time a new firmware version is released people post up about SQ changes.  I seriously doubt that it's getting altered because that's not the issue being addressed with the firmware mods and with no EQ engaged, it's principally a function of the DAC hardware, but without two X5s and an A-B comparison we'll never know.  I have noticed what I believe to be differences in playback volume levels at a specific volume setting between firmware versions and if this is the case it would explain why there are perceived SQ differences between versions.  The discussion of sound quality changes does serve to make me a little paranoid and I have to refrain from reverting back to an earlier beta version to see if i can notice a difference.  It's an interesting psychological experiment in suggestibility - I perceive the beta 2.07 to seem louder than 2.03 at the same volume number on low gain, but it could just be my imagination.

I might be making this up, but I think I remember a comment from James or Joe stating that there are no changes to SQ being made with FW updates (other than the specified change to the MP3 decoder which DID improve SQ for MP3 files). As I said, I'm not 100% sure of that first part though so take it with a grain of salt...

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #38 of 189
I'm actually finding it funny that people are so sure that there are SQ changes given that:

• It's unlikely anyone has 2 X5's side by side to A/B
  • Our 'reliable' auditory memory only lasts for a very short time (from memory I think it's less than 20 secs) - so by the time you change firmware, and then change it back - how would you actually know?
  • Change in sound has not been listed by Joe in his changelog summary - and I'm pretty sure they would actually note it.
  • I agree with Loq - it was stated a while ago that these weren't SQ changes - but rather functionality ones.

For the record - I've noticed no changes at all - apart from the constant upgrades to flexibility with the UI (which is a good thing).

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #40 of 189

I agree that there shouldn't be a difference, and maybe it is just in my mind.  Still, my ears tell me there was a difference going from v2.03 to v2.04, and again going to 2.05.  Perhaps that's making me 'paranoid' when listening to new releases.  Like others, I think Fiio's continued efforts to improve the X5 functions/ features are to be applauded, well done guys.  Having said that, playlists are not a big deal for me right now but of course the sound is, as a result I'm sitting on v2.04.

Given I keep the EQ set to off, I wonder if it's just minor changes to the default EQ settings; I have not really played with the EQ feature itself.  I have loaded and unload firmware versions and come to the same conclusion i.e. there is a difference somewhere.  Still, I have a version I'm happy with and will try new versions as they come out.  Indeed, I'm looking forward to v2.08, should be here any hour now.  :)

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #41 of 189
tpc5 - I could have written your comments myself lol. I agree 100%.
This is just our opinion though...being put up for discussion.

But ill just say that I shared my opinion in order to get other peoples opinions which is something i greatly value. But people who are amused by my opinion or are just sure that im wrong and theyre right...youre just kinda mocking me at that point. And unless youre a deveopler of the firmware no one can be exactly sure.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #42 of 189
I have noticed the following bug when using FW 2.07.  When playing an album (or folder) using browse files, the track advances to the next one in the list as normal.  When you press the top right "back" button, to check the list, of tracks, the track has not advanced
in the list to the track currently playing.  It just stays on the track it first started with.  The track used to advance to the next track on the track list, in accordance with the currently playing track.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #43 of 189
Hi,

Am I the only one who can't retrieve my whole library of 128GB per card even from the main folder TF cards? The X5 won't 'see' all of my files, but only a small proportion of them...

When I update media library it doesn't update all of the thousands of folders on the sandisk 128gb cards...

I know and understand it can't read more than 5800 in music by artist, album and songs, but surely it should access the whole library from the folder TF1 & TF2 slots?

I have updated firmware to 2.05 beta. What am I doing wrong? Or does the firmware not yet support the whole of the micro sd cards as advertised originally and what I bought it for?

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks....

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #44 of 189
  Hi,

Am I the only one who can't retrieve my whole library of 128GB per card even from the main folder TF cards? The X5 won't 'see' all of my files, but only a small proportion of them...

When I update media library it doesn't update all of the thousands of folders on the sandisk 128gb cards...

I know and understand it can't read more than 5800 in music by artist, album and songs, but surely it should access the whole library from the folder TF1 & TF2 slots?

I have updated firmware to 2.05 beta. What am I doing wrong? Or does the firmware not yet support the whole of the micro sd cards as advertised originally and what I bought it for?

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks....

You should be able to see every track when browsing by folder, but you can't "play all tracks" from the category browser menu because that relies on the library database and therefore the 5800 file limit. As I understand it this is because to access all tracks across both cards, the library database is required to tell the player where to look for each track, etc.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #45 of 189

You should be able to see every track when browsing by folder, but you can't "play all tracks" from the category browser menu because that relies on the library database and therefore the 5800 file limit. As I understand it this is because to access all tracks across both cards, the library database is required to tell the player where to look for each track, etc.

Hi,

I loaded the cards on my laptop and the properties of them read that the cards are loaded with over over 90gb each, however, I can't 'see' either in the FiiO X5 or on my laptop all of the files on the cards. I thought this was due to hidden folders or something, however, this must be an sd card issue rather than the FiiO and its firmware then?

As I now understand it I should be able to play all of my tracks from my TF card on the FiiO X5, but not by category browser menu, is this correct?

Cheers Loquah...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back