FiiO X5 beta firmware 2.04beta-2.05beta download and discussion. Improvement of playlist and CUE handling
Jul 7, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #47 of 58
  I came from 2.03 firmware and upgraded to 2.05. I believe there has been some sonic changes as I'm liking the new sound coming from my X5. It feels like the sound became more clear and coming from outside your head unlike in the previous firmware where the sound feels like its all in your head and feels claustrophobic.

I a/b'd several times between 2.03 and 2.05, I detect no sound differences, but I'm using the line out, not the HP out.  I'm glad at least the LO hasn't changed.

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #48 of 58
No offense, but all this talk of playlists means zero to me. I use it on random, or I play an entire album.

One feature I would love: all songs on random using only TF card 2. On this card I put only songs that my whole family of five all enjoy, especially in the car.

Can that be done?

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #49 of 58
I know this is a deviation from talk about playlists and such, but I've been looking at various portable products that I might use with the X5, and I haven't yet found a portable DAC that uses a coax connection, or at least one that I would want to build a rig around. 

Are there any plans to allow USB audio to an outboard DAC, in addition to the current USB functionality of DAC/storage? I've heard tell that the LO on the X5 is fantastic, perhaps an outboard DAC isn't necessary, but I think it would be a nice bit of functionality to add, and it certainly couldn't hurt

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #50 of 58
No offense, but all this talk of playlists means zero to me. I use it on random, or I play an entire album.

One feature I would love: all songs on random using only TF card 2. On this card I put only songs that my whole family of five all enjoy, especially in the car.

Can that be done?

You could compile make a playlist listing all songs on TF2, load that playlist and set the play mode to shuffle... :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 10, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #51 of 58
You could compile make a playlist listing all songs on TF2, load that playlist and set the play mode to shuffle...
smily_headphones1.gif

That's my idea, Joe!!
wink.gif

My TF1 slot is all my more mellow stuff and my TF2 slot is all my upbeat stuff. Having playlists means I can now shuffle all my cruisy tracks or all my "get up and go" tracks - Yay!
popcorn.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #52 of 58
  I know this is a deviation from talk about playlists and such, but I've been looking at various portable products that I might use with the X5, and I haven't yet found a portable DAC that uses a coax connection, or at least one that I would want to build a rig around. 

Are there any plans to allow USB audio to an outboard DAC, in addition to the current USB functionality of DAC/storage? I've heard tell that the LO on the X5 is fantastic, perhaps an outboard DAC isn't necessary, but I think it would be a nice bit of functionality to add, and it certainly couldn't hurt

There's the Leckerton UHA-6 MK.II with your choice of OP amps.  I found it quite good with IPod 7th.  Since buying the X5, I don't use it: (I like X5 on it's own).  I bought the hugo which is quite portable.  Both of these amp/dacs have optical and co-ax inputs.

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #53 of 58
You could compile make a playlist listing all songs on TF2, load that playlist and set the play mode to shuffle... :)

That's my idea, Joe!! :wink:

My TF1 slot is all my more mellow stuff and my TF2 slot is all my upbeat stuff. Having playlists means I can now shuffle all my cruisy tracks or all my "get up and go" tracks - Yay! :popcorn:

Hi Loquah,

About how many tracks do the playlists now contain and how is the interface response speed of the X5 after it loads your two mega-playlists? :smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 14, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #54 of 58
Testing with a playlist with all tracks contained on TF1. 2389 tracks.

Wow. Lucky I checked this!

Skipping tracks is instantaneous, but pressing "back" to show the track list took about 10-15sec to respond.

Using the scroll wheel from "now playing" screen is instant though, as is selection of tracks through that method.

Basically, everything seems normal except pressing "back" which reloads the playlist and takes a while.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #55 of 58
I'm finding consistent issues scanning my database with 2.03b and now 2.05b. I have scoured every file on my X5 with no signs of errors and the database updates perfectly on the full release firmware (2.0). On the betas, the scan almost always fails after approximately 3100-3200 tracks, but never in the exact same spot and once it was in the 2000s somewhere.

I'm perfectly happy with 2.0 for now, but wanted to mention this in case playlist or CUE handling is somehow changing the scanning process and causing an unforeseen issue.

Now I'm running into this problem with the latest beta, and it seems pretty random where the DB scan hangs. I added some new 16/44 FLAC files from Bandcamp and tried to update the DB three separate times. The first time, it hung around file 2,500. The second time it hung around file 3,500. The third time it hung around file 4,500. Haven't gotten it to complete a scan since. I don't think it's the files I added, since the DB hangs in a different place each time. Any ideas?

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #56 of 58
Now I'm running into this problem with the latest beta, and it seems pretty random where the DB scan hangs. I added some new 16/44 FLAC files from Bandcamp and tried to update the DB three separate times. The first time, it hung around file 2,500. The second time it hung around file 3,500. The third time it hung around file 4,500. Haven't gotten it to complete a scan since. I don't think it's the files I added, since the DB hangs in a different place each time. Any ideas?

I had that a while back and still don't know what caused it. I think from memory I ended up wiping and reloading my cards because I had tried to load both cards at once and had a hunch that it created some minor corruption in some files. Whether that's true or not I'm not sure, but reloading the cards (one card at a time) from scratch with the exact same files has left me with perfect functionality ever since (and it's been weeks now)

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #58 of 58
@Loquah: Yikes! I think I'll try deleting all newer albums and trying to rebuild the DB. If that doesn't work, I'll try reformatting and start over :grin:.

Yeah, I know. My reaction was based on a few different factors and shouldn't be completely necessary. I had been messing around with different settings in MediaMonkey and feared that I had created a mess of files on my cards so it was the cleanest option for me and just happened to fix my issues. Hopefully it won't be needed for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back